Gear Talk > Lenses

Canon 85L II AF speed on 5D III???

<< < (2/14) > >>

Halfrack:
My 85L mk2 isn't any faster from what I can tell (7D as a reference).  But damn is it dreamy.

My only wish is that as part of the power off of the attached camera, it should do a focus retract.  The thing does a sensor cleaning, so why not retract and save me the process??

pierceography:
I own the 85mm f/1.2L II and I can't really complain.  When I bought it, I knew going in that the AF speed would pale compared to the 135mm f/2L, 24-70L (I or II), and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, or even my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (all of which I already owned or rented).

Most of the time, I find the AF speed to be perfectly acceptable.  Though my uses are usually in situations where I can "pre-focus" (focus, then recompose and focus again when my subject moves slightly).  If the lens only has to hunt for focus in a very limited plane (hence why I pre-focus), then I don't notice much of a difference between considerably faster focusing lenses.  But if it has to hunt across the entire focal range, then it's quite slow... definitely the slowest lens in my bag.

But I didn't buy this lens for its AF speed.  :-)

birtembuk:
A tad faster on my 5D3 compared with my 60D, but still not an action lens anyway. Focus is OK when you don't swing from far to close. I use it for slow moving subjects with AL servo with no problem. Very few miss-focused pix even at large apertures. With this baby on the 5D3 every shot is wonderful ! Just maybe because of this slow focus limitation that makes you think more and compose before click ...     

pierceography:

--- Quote from: Halfrack on May 01, 2013, 12:07:07 PM ---My only wish is that as part of the power off of the attached camera, it should do a focus retract.  The thing does a sensor cleaning, so why not retract and save me the process??

--- End quote ---

That's probably my only real gripe too.  I accept the slow AF because it utilizes front focusing, but having to "manually" retract the front element before storing the lens is annoying.  I accomplish this by ensuring the camera is powered off, then throwing the lens into manual focus and focusing it to MFD, then back to auto focusing, turning the camera off, and detaching the lens (if i'm removing it).  Seems there could be a better way of accomplishing this.

HOWEVER, if that's my only (mechanical) complaint about the lens, then I'd say that's a +1 for purchasing it.

Pinchers of Peril:
Just picked this lens up yesterday for my 5D3.  Everybody always talks about how slow the AF was so I think I really overestimated how slow it would be.  It is slow for sure, but not terribly annoying.  I don't have another body to compare it to, but it is probably my slowest focusing lens I own (after using my 70-200 2.8 II this thing feels pretty sluggish).  But all this is worth it for the beautiful bokeh.  If you use it for appropriate situations you'll love it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version