August 28, 2014, 11:43:28 AM

Author Topic: New Real Estate Photography - What do you think?  (Read 7363 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
Re: New Real Estate Photography - What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »
Here are a few photos from house I just shot. I'm still learning and respect your opinions if you have constructive criticism to share. Here is the full post on my RE blog: http://www.smrealestatephotography.com/2403-calle-san-miguel-encinitas/

Hi Cgdillan,
Do you know where I can get the latest LF/Enfuse for Lightroom4?

Thanks
Dylan
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »
"Do you know where I can get the latest LF/Enfuse for Lightroom4?"

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:49 AM »
You should take a look at HDR Efex 2.  I have not used Enfuse, but I did use Photomatix for awhile and I like the job HDR Efex does much better.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
something looks off with the greens
what camera profile are you using in LR
adobe standard or camera faithfull?
it looks like adobe standard which makes the greens too saturated imo
if you switch it to camera faithfull (before you process them obviously) the greens will be a bit more natural
sometimes i'll even specifically desaturate the green in the HSL tab a bit to take the edge off as they can dominate a shot to the point of distraction.
try also to use the vibrance slider instead of the saturation slider

I actually do usually desaturate  the green and even bring their luminance down. But I could do it further. The greens have been an issue for me. I didn't know anything about camera profiles at all I will look that up right away. I also do use vibrance rather than saturation unless i specifically need to bring everything up.

cool definately try it bottom tab configuration it will say adobe standard in the check box and select camera faithful instead
APS-H Fanboy

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
"Do you know where I can get the latest LF/Enfuse for Lightroom4?"

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php

Thanks privatebydesign
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
They look like to have a blue cast, don't forget to calibrate your monitor.  ;)

Cgdillan

• Canon 70D
  • HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
    • View Profile
    • Stockham Media
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »
something looks off with the greens
what camera profile are you using in LR
adobe standard or camera faithfull?
it looks like adobe standard which makes the greens too saturated imo
if you switch it to camera faithfull (before you process them obviously) the greens will be a bit more natural
sometimes i'll even specifically desaturate the green in the HSL tab a bit to take the edge off as they can dominate a shot to the point of distraction.
try also to use the vibrance slider instead of the saturation slider

I actually do usually desaturate  the green and even bring their luminance down. But I could do it further. The greens have been an issue for me. I didn't know anything about camera profiles at all I will look that up right away. I also do use vibrance rather than saturation unless i specifically need to bring everything up.

cool definately try it bottom tab configuration it will say adobe standard in the check box and select camera faithful instead

Thank you I will!
2x 5D mkiii, 7D, 60D, T2i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm L f/1.4 ii, Sigma 35mm ART f/1.4, 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 ii, 85mm L f/1.2 ii, 100mm L Macro f/2.8 IS, 135mm L f2.0 75-300mm f/4-5.6, 70-200mm L f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm OS f/2.8. StockhamMedia.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »

Cgdillan

• Canon 70D
  • HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
    • View Profile
    • Stockham Media
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:26 AM »
You should take a look at HDR Efex 2.  I have not used Enfuse, but I did use Photomatix for awhile and I like the job HDR Efex does much better.

I actually tried it for a while and was happy enough with it to switch from LR/Enfuse. LR/Enfuse is perfect for large batch processing which is exactly what I do. I don't charge enough to be able to not to batch fusion and have it be worth my time. I do appreciate the recommendation though! Thank you.
2x 5D mkiii, 7D, 60D, T2i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm L f/1.4 ii, Sigma 35mm ART f/1.4, 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 ii, 85mm L f/1.2 ii, 100mm L Macro f/2.8 IS, 135mm L f2.0 75-300mm f/4-5.6, 70-200mm L f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm OS f/2.8. StockhamMedia.com

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
I am normally reluctant to post in these types of threads. I am not big on constructive criticism, positive reinforcement and all those positive learning aids we are supposed to use and it is too easy for people either the OP or others, to take offense where none is intended. I hope you can take my comments in the positive way I mean them,  after all I have dedicated some time to writing this and have had the thread open on my laptop since it began, we all started somewhere and my early real estate work was worse!

Personally I don't like any of them and there are several key reasons.
   •   I really don't like the processing, I know some realtors like the look but I don't, nobody walking up to and into the home would see anything like what you have presented.  They look too cartoonish to me with no contrast and bad colour shifts.
   •   Your lens has a huge amount of distortion which you need to correct in post.
   •   You haven't leveled your tripod, or the images in post.
   •   You haven't staged the scenes. The vacuum pipe and leaves in the pool, the stuff by the sink etc. Often a good RE agent will employ a stager to take care of this stuff, bed treatments etc, but at this point you need to price in the time to do it yourself.
   •   Your composition in unusual. Just because you have a crazy wide lens doesn't mean you need to use it. Crop. The trouble with ultrawides is that they push everything but the foreground away making it look smaller, vast expanses of driveway, flooring etc generally do not add to a picture. In an ideal world people can imagine themselves walking into the scene. If something is not adding to the composition, it is detracting from it.
   •   You have serious mixed light source and colour balance issues.

So onto each image,
   1)   Whilst this is a "scene setter" you are wasting too much picture area. I have done an alternative crop. Neither the first part of the drive, which looks like it is on the brow of a hill,  or the utility cover add to the scene.
   2)   My first impression of image 2 is the badly distorted pot. My eye then jumps to the pipe top right corner. The wall on the right adds nothing to the image so I'd crop it out. The processing has taken all the contrast out of the big main wall and the two walls with the smaller windows in, this makes the windows look like parallelograms, not the squares they are. I'd stand back to get a more realistic perspective and crop the image if you don't have a more appropriate focal length, the focus should be the inviting front door, not the distorted pot that looks like it is three or four times bigger than the door.
   3)   The timing of twilight shots is critical, you have good ambient exposure but the house lights are over exposed. The blue cast on the left edge of the house is distracting. Whilst the pool edge bottom right does anchor the image, it isn't enough. The focus of the image isn't the house because the pool is dominant, but it isn't the pool/landscaping either because you can't picture it all.
   4)   The color castes and blooming are overwhelming. I find the floor distracting, again it looks like it is laid on a hill. The wall on the right is leaning in and there is no contrast. I did a crop of this image too, I feel the focus of the image should be the mural, the sweeping staircase and the airiness of the property.
   5)   I don't understand the composition of this image, to my eye it needs to be taken from the white door picture left, this would highlight the island with the full row of cabinets and sink behind, if you are making a point about the wine room it is too small and insignificant to make an impact as shot.

I use LR/Enfuse, Photomatix and 32bit HDR in PS, you need to choose the best process to optimise each image. Your most overexposed image is the one creating most of your process problems, if you have a five bracket shot only use the four lower exposed shots to get rid of some blooming and get some contrast back in there. Alternatively kill the highlights in the most overexposed image before blending.

Hope these comments help and are not taken in a negative way by anybody.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
I use LR/Enfuse, Photomatix and 32bit HDR in PS, you need to choose the best process to optimise each image. Your most overexposed image is the one creating most of your process problems, if you have a five bracket shot only use the four lower exposed shots to get rid of some blooming and get some contrast back in there. Alternatively kill the highlights in the most overexposed image before blending.

thanks for the tip on killing blooming! :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »