October 25, 2014, 08:09:34 AM

Author Topic: 3rd party flashes not working with 6D  (Read 6449 times)

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd party flashes not working with 6D
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
I have energiser batteries. Calumet batteries. Sigma lenses. A tokina lens.

I have a canon flash.

Whenever the question comes up in forums I always say 'buy a canon flash'.

This is why.

Not very helpful, but true.

The money spent on cheapies is wasted as the third party guns have no resale value, and you'll end up buying the canons anyway.  There is such a thing as a false economy.  Tripods.  Flashguns.  Don't scrimp.

I agree with you, not very helpful. I have 580EXII and a bunch of other Canon flashes.  They are great. But for controlled inside shooting, I have been using manual Yongnuo's for years. Best money ever spent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
Because manual flash doesn't play nice with E-TTL pre-flash metering etc. Which can trigger the main flash on the pre-flash even if the guns are set up manually.

If you're using optical triggers, sure, but why when RT is so cheap.

I have the same setup as the OP, plus a YN 460 and YN 565 (I think that's the model number), and I've never had a problem with any of my Yongnuos with my 6D or the camera before that.  Not saying that Yongnuo hasn't had some quality issues, and Canon flashes are undoubtedly more reliable, but not to the level you make them out to be.  Third party products have their place, I'm glad for the open market that allows them.

Thyg0d

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »
You can certainly use flash in Live View, you just need to set Live View Silent Shooting to Disable. It's another if those RTFM things, I guess...   ::)

True.. But it's easier to just switch for testing purposes.. :)
and hey... real men don't RTFM... *LOL*

Canon-F1

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 07:34:45 AM »

no you don´t.... if you know what you buy.

first this is a manual flash.
why should one pay for ETTL and stuff if all he needs is a manual flash?

second this is a cheap flash that works just fine and is more powerfull then the 430 EX II.
and even if it breaks after 4 years... well i can buy 4 YN-560 II for the money of one 430 EX II.

Because manual flash doesn't play nice with E-TTL pre-flash metering etc. Which can trigger the main flash on the pre-flash even if the guns are set up manually.

well in case you did not notice i said MANUAL.. when i say manual i don´t mean or use ETTL or a pre-flash...  ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:52:32 AM by Canon-F1 »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
I have energiser batteries. Calumet batteries. Sigma lenses. A tokina lens.

I have a canon flash.

Whenever the question comes up in forums I always say 'buy a canon flash'.

This is why.

Not very helpful, but true.

The money spent on cheapies is wasted as the third party guns have no resale value, and you'll end up buying the canons anyway.  There is such a thing as a false economy.  Tripods.  Flashguns.  Don't scrimp.

True dat.  I had a Sigma Flash, their top of the line.  Always loved Sigma lenses and never had a problem with the.  Hated that flash, sold it on eBay after 2 months and bought a 580II.  5 years problem free.... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »