August 31, 2014, 12:45:11 AM

Author Topic: Buying a refurb 7D  (Read 11024 times)

Eddie_2001

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a refurb 7D
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:00:38 AM »
From what everyone has said I wouldn't have a problem with buying a refurbed camera...and I agree that the camera could be better than a new one account the Canon techs go over the units before shipping. And a couple of minor marks like on the battery contacts is nothing...at least to me anyways.

Thanks...

Ted
2 7D's and 3 L zooms - FD gear has been sold.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:00:38 AM »

minestrone

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
To the original poster of this thread:

It seems like a lot of your statements are inaccurate. But regardless of your concerns, I know how you feel. When the D3 and D700 came out I was amazed by the camera stats ON PAPER/ONLINE. But after seeing several of my friends who have also been doing photography just as long as me 10+ years, its much less impressive than what we're led to believe.

I think if you're  that worried about Nikon being better than Canon you should make the switch and see if its really any better. I've done two photoshoots with my buddy who uses a D700 and I'm happy I got the 5D Mark II. He was my photo assistant for one of the shoots so he gave me all his RAW files and comparatively speaking his images did not stack up to all the glowing reviews of the D700.

Check out all the amazing photographers out there right now, most of them are either using a Medium Format or a Canon :)

All these photos below are in my flickr faves and all taken by Canon users. I didn't specifically filter it to be Canon specific it just happened that way. It has taught me that all the stats on paper and great marketing campaigns don't make a great camera or photographer. You'll be happy with your work with any brand, just focus on technique.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitorshalom/2946457149
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhkong/726161203
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redpilotmedia/2835439154
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiie/5011129045

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »

Always format your memory card before putting it into a new camera.

When you deploy a new card, do you first format on win/pc system, then format in camera?

Sandisk tech support recommends that process...

Its a good idea to do that.  Do a full format on PC (takes 10 min or more), the camera does a quick format.

NapaDave

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Just received a refurbished 7D from Canon today and the battery is apparently not new as the Recharge Performance display shows only two green bars, not three.  Called Canon to complain and they offered to accept the return and send me a whole new package, can't just send a new battery.  As expensive as those batteries are I really do want one that's close to new.  I also just bought a refurbished Olympus 6020 p&s and that one came with a physically damaged battery that was DOA.  So my advice if you buy a refurbished camera -- Check the battery, 'cause apparently they just toss whatever is handy into the box.

Eddie_2001

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
Dave...did Canon offer to pay the return shipping as well?? Seems like quite a hassle to have to send everything back to them.

I am getting close to getting a refurb 7D as well, and I would also be disappointed about the battery as well.

Ted
2 7D's and 3 L zooms - FD gear has been sold.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
Dave...did Canon offer to pay the return shipping as well?? Seems like quite a hassle to have to send everything back to them.

I am getting close to getting a refurb 7D as well, and I would also be disappointed about the battery as well.

Ted

The battery I received with my refurb 7D was dated late 2010, and charges up to 100% and three bars.  I'd ask them to just replace the battery, or to send you a return label for the entire package.  I save the boxes and packing, so returns are easy.

Ask to speak to a supervisor or someone who can authorize it, if the service person does not have that authority.

PXL_Pusher

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
Ask to speak to a supervisor or someone who can authorize it, if the service person does not have that authority.

Fully agree. Now a days more than ever, most support lines will have operators trained like robots to tell you "NO". My rule of thumb? Don't take no from somebody who can't (or is unauthorized) to give you a yes. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

NapaDave

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »
To Canon's credit, they have sent me a paid shipping label for the return, and will overnight the replacement package to me as soon as they get the return.  The customer service rep did this for me without my asking.

april

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »
i also would like to buy a refurb camera and lenses but the website doesn't allow me.
are these items from this site exclusively for sale in USA only?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
i also would like to buy a refurb camera and lenses but the website doesn't allow me.
are these items from this site exclusively for sale in USA only?

Yes, they are sold by Canon USA for in-country customers only (I suspect it's based on shipping and billing addresses, so if you know someone in the USA whom you trust, they could order it for you.

Apparently, Canon Europe sells refurbs via eBay.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:23 AM »
Apparently, Canon Europe sells refurbs via eBay.

i've heard this a few times around the place, and finally figured out where. ebay.co.uk and search for 'canon refurb' turns up the seller 'canon_uk1'. currently 170 items up, a 5D kit, 24-105L, 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, and a crudload of pixma printers and Ixus cameras.
Postage only to UK, hence i couldn't even find it using ebay.nl where i'd looked before. maybe my sister in London is going to be receiving a few boxes in the mail for my mum to bring home with her to Aus when she's up there end of the year...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:23 AM »