November 22, 2014, 01:05:55 PM

Author Topic: New 5D3 firmware but now no Focus point grouping option.  (Read 4296 times)

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
New 5D3 firmware but now no Focus point grouping option.
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:15:18 AM »
So I updated my 5D3 with the new firmware and now I can't seem to select any focus point groupings other then: "Single-point AF.  I can move the Single-point AF around but I can only select the "Single-point AF" ( the little soft cornered square).  I have poured over pages 72-73 of the manual but nothin' :o

Am I the only one?

canon rumors FORUM

New 5D3 firmware but now no Focus point grouping option.
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:15:18 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: New 5D3 firmware but now no Focus point grouping option.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »
Do a camera reset after installing new firmware, and then enter your settings again.

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
So I updated my 5D3 with the new firmware and now I can't seem to select any focus point groupings other then: "Single-point AF.  I can move the Single-point AF around but I can only select the "Single-point AF" ( the little soft cornered square).  I have poured over pages 72-73 of the manual but nothin' :o

Am I the only one?

Do a camera reset after installing new firmware, and then enter your settings again.

Did this work?

lwheeler

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Hi,

Same thing happened to me when I updated the firmware.  You should be able to fix it as follows:

Go to page 73 in the user manual under the section of "Select the AF area selection mode" and follow the instructions.

This sorted it out for me...

Good luck.

Lawrence

www.lawrencewheelerphotography.com
www.facebook.com/lawrencewheelerphotography

calfoto

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
I didn't have any problems with Focus point selection but I did notice one new quirk...

When you power up the camera while using (some) 3rd party LP-E6 batteries you'll get a a warning message telling you "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular" - "Continue to use this battery?" - "Cancel - OK"

Cancelling shuts down the camera without turning off the power switch while the "OK" option lets you continue.

I'm presuming nothing's really wrong, just Canon's way of nagging you into using their batteries only.
 :-\

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
I didn't have any problems with Focus point selection but I did notice one new quirk...

When you power up the camera while using (some) 3rd party LP-E6 batteries you'll get a a warning message telling you "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular" - "Continue to use this battery?" - "Cancel - OK"

Cancelling shuts down the camera without turning off the power switch while the "OK" option lets you continue.

I'm presuming nothing's really wrong, just Canon's way of nagging you into using their batteries only.

I guess NIKON's been doing this for years.  It's actually pretty funny because the camera powers up and a notice says "This battery will not power this camera" or something like that. 

...thanks for keeping us snickering, NIKON!  xD
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

You must be using the newest 1.2.1 firmware.  With the limited release 1.2.0 version, that warning stated, "You appear to not be using a genuine Canon LP-E6 battery." - "Camera self destruct is imminent" - "Cancel - OK".  Looks like they toned it down a little.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
when using the Canon 400mm 5.6 L lens with either the 3.5 limited or 8.5, there's a significant improvement in accuracy and speed.   Prior to this 4/30 update I found the lens a bit slow to focus.  I don't believe its my imagination but has anyone else notice a speed pick up on AF and perhaps even better accuracy while using this lens?
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:57:31 AM »
Camera reset did the trick!!!  :D

Thanx  Mt. Spokane

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »
Just did the upgrade to firmware 1.2.1.
I followed exactly the instructions from the PDF. Finished the upgrade by taking out the batteries - wait one minute - and inserted them again, powered the camera.

And, focus point selection was reset to single point AF. It even resetted my C1 settings to single point AF - wow! Not good.  I had to re-register the C1 with correct focus point selection.

I just don't understand that Canon QA-department did not find such a simple bug. Because I think it is a bug. It should not change the stored Cx settings. On the other hand, maybe they don't have any choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »