September 02, 2014, 04:40:17 PM

Author Topic: Tripod and multiple camera straps  (Read 6811 times)

lenstrack26

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Douglas C. Dooley, Photography
Tripod and multiple camera straps
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
Hi all. I know this sounds odd, but I am frustrated with the time/effort required to swap lenses back and forth from my sling bag to the camera body.  As a possible solution, I  am thinking about a strap system that permits carrying two bodies with different lenses, e.g., cotton carrier. Unfortunately, I almost always shoot from a tripod.  So, my question is whether anyone has solved the problem of ready accessibility of two camera bodies and a tripod? No, I don't want to carry two tripods  Thanks for sharing your experience.
EOS 3, Canon 10D, 5D Mark I, II, III, Canon 14 mm L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 100 II L macro

canon rumors FORUM

Tripod and multiple camera straps
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod and multiple camera straps
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
A tripod head with quick release plates and just buy two plates, one on each camera?
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
Blackrapid double strap, Kirk 1" clamps on the ends of the straps, Arca-Swiss type plates on bodies/lenses and an AS-type ballhead clamp.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

woollybear

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
Blackrapid double strap, Kirk 1" clamps on the ends of the straps, Arca-Swiss type plates on bodies/lenses and an AS-type ballhead clamp.

I took your advice on this setup...and I really like it.  But...(there is always a but isn't there...)

I am having a really hard time letting go of the camera, I just can't get myself to trust a single point connection...I know a regular strap is really just a single point connection as well...but still...

I mean...am I nuts, paranoid, stupid or do others feel this way as well...

Woollybear now ducks

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »

I took your advice on this setup...and I really like it.  But...(there is always a but isn't there...)

I am having a really hard time letting go of the camera, I just can't get myself to trust a single point connection...I know a regular strap is really just a single point connection as well...but still...

I mean...am I nuts, paranoid, stupid or do others feel this way as well...

Woollybear now ducks

I feel the same way. I don't trust anything other than my hand and the ugly canon neck strap. I'd rather be less cool than dropping my equipment. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm fine being paranoid.  :D
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
I hang 12 lbs of gear costing upwards of $20K from the BR strap w/ Kirk 1" clamp.  But then, my gear is all insured, just in case...  ;)

rang

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi all. I know this sounds odd, but I am frustrated with the time/effort required to swap lenses back and forth from my sling bag to the camera body.  As a possible solution, I  am thinking about a strap system that permits carrying two bodies with different lenses, e.g., cotton carrier. Unfortunately, I almost always shoot from a tripod.  So, my question is whether anyone has solved the problem of ready accessibility of two camera bodies and a tripod? No, I don't want to carry two tripods  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Been using the Cotton Carrier system for 4+ years. Out in the field way, way off road for 10 + hours /day for as long as 3 weeks. Fell down in water with slippery rocks, fell down off a collapsing chair shooting runway models . Usually with at least two if not three rigs attached to the vest. Used it in 95+ degree weather with blowing sand and friggin freezing blowing snow. And have worn it under a tux. No damage to any gear at any time.
And to your question... all the rigs have a Cotton Carrier hub AND a Manfrotto QR plate attached to the bottom of the battery grip on older XXD bodies or my current 1DX bodies. NO STRAPS...they just get in the way. Straight from the vest or holder to the tripod head. Fast, secure. I can jump up and down with heavy long L primes/zooms and nothing comes out or loose. Bend over... nothing smacks together.

More than paid for itself many mishaps ago. And I actually try not to be a klutz. Sometimes I just have to shoot in crappy conditions and I ain't the same as I was decades ago.

I don't work for or get paid by the Cotton folks. I just like the gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »
If I understand your problem - using a strap and attaching to tripod without hassle - the Kirk security strap is the best solution IMO

http://www.adorama.com/KIRSS1.html?gclid=CL_wksvZ-rYCFWRyQgodrRkAfQ

I love this strap. It has a dovetail on the bottom which clamps to any Swiss-Arca system in seconds. I love how it keeps my lens pointing outward (in the orientation I use) while moving. Basically it's the bomb as far as I'm concerned.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
If I understand your problem - using a strap and attaching to tripod without hassle - the Kirk security strap is the best solution IMO

I think the OP wants to hang two cameras.  Have you tried a pair of Kirk straps, over each shoulder?

akraj

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Raj Alagumalai Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
smugmug
Body: 5DMIII | 7D 
Lens: 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4.5-5.6L IS |

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
I have used both the Cotton Carrier two camera set up (chest and waist) and now two Black Rapid straps cobbled together with a Black Rapid "Brad" and a Black Rapid "coupler" into a two camera rig (Black Rapid makes a specific model to carry two cameras but I already had one strap and wanted to have the option of keeping bodies and straps separate or combining).  Cotton Carrier makes a plate that will fit into both their particular socket and also a Manfrotto QR on your tripod.  My problem is that the two fittings are side by side and it ends up being a bit clunky.  But, Cotton Carrier does have the safety straps that give a little more assurance if the camera comes out of bracket or is dropped, etc.  Black Rapid makes a "FastenR Tripod" (FR-T1) screw that replaces the screw in a Manfrotto RC2 plate and has a swivel head that accepts the BR buckle ("connector").  If you go Black Rapid and Manfrotto RC2, you need that screw.  If you go Black Rapid and RRS/Kirk, follow Neuro's advice (he has posted several times on various threads more detail on how he has made his connections).  I haven't felt the need for any safety strap with the Black Rapid setup, even dangling two cameras.

An alternative is to ditch the sling bag and go with a Think Tank technical belt and pouches for individual lenses.  I like this arrangement for ease of changing lenses.

Or both the two camera rig and the Think Tank set up.............................

Warning:  I am strictly a hobbyist.   Folks who do this every day for a living may have a different take on it.
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
I hang 12 lbs of gear costing upwards of $20K from the BR strap w/ Kirk 1" clamp.  But then, my gear is all insured, just in case...  ;)

Insurance is great - when you done with the shoot, returning home and will have time to replace the equipment.  However I always get nervous at the start of the trip - if I loose my equipment, insurance will not buy me a new trip  :-\

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
A tripod head with quick release plates and just buy two plates, one on each camera?

Suggest an L bracket for each camera - let's you turn the camera vertical without putting weight off to the side of the tripod (ball head).  Plus I have plates on all my lenses.  To save a few $ is not worth the hassle of moving plates between lens.  And the better L brackets (or camera plates) are custom for each body.

As far as BR strap, I trust an anchor point I screw into the plate or body.  I am not comfortable with a small clamp (e.g., the Kirk system) which could get loose and have camera crash to the floor.  Too bad there is no L bracket with an attachment point that does not interfere with mounting on a ball head.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Insurance is great - when you done with the shoot, returning home and will have time to replace the equipment.  However I always get nervous at the start of the trip - if I loose my equipment, insurance will not buy me a new trip

True. But as I said, I have confidence in the setup. To be honest, I do usually hold the 600 II by the tripod foot when it's on the strap. But I let the strap take the weight.

As far as BR strap, I trust an anchor point I screw into the plate or body.  I am not comfortable with a small clamp (e.g., the Kirk system) which could get loose and have camera crash to the floor.

You might think so - my experience has been the opposite.  With the BR FastenR lug connected to a tripod socket, and the strap connected to the lug, the rig is swinging from that lug. That puts torsional stress on the screw.  I used to use that setup - even with a tight connection and moistening the rubber compression washer prior to tightening (as BR recommends), it would come unscrewed on a walk/hike. That happened more than once (didn't fall off, but would have had I not noticed). I got in the habit of checking tightness a couple of times an hour, and at least once every couple weeks I needed to re-tighten the lug. The same thing would happen with the FastenR-T1 that I used with the Manfrotto RC2 plates.

Since switching to the AS system and the Kirk clamp connection, it's not come even slightly loose once. I've given up checking the connection at all. The lug is attached to the clamp with Loctite - that's where the torsional stress is, and with Loctite it won't come loose.  The clamp has a good intrinsic resistance - brushing the knob won't loosen it. Plus, the clamp is placed so the knob is under the lens when attached to the body, and away from the body when attached to the lens - there's minimal chance of even brushing it.

Bottom line, after two years of using the directly connected lug, I learned that it needed to be checked often because of a tendency to come loose, and after a year of using the Kirk clamp, I have complete trust that it won't come loose unless I intentionally take it off.

An alternative is to ditch the sling bag and go with a Think Tank technical belt and pouches for individual lenses.  I like this arrangement for ease of changing lenses.

I do something similar on occasion. I have a Spider Holster, another great carry option. I avoided them until they came out with an Arca Swiss clamp option.  I don't use their belt, I attached the holster to a Lowepro Deluxe Technical Belt, and I can attach lens cases, a monopod holster, water bottle/phone case, etc., to the belt as well.

Bullet Biter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
I ran into a similar problem and went this route (Brands I used):

Arca-Swiss compatible L-Brackets (ProMediaGear). As mentioned above, it does allow landscape and portrait positions on tripod. If your tripod is Arca-Swiss compatible, then you're good. I had Manfrotto tripods and heads so I had to get adapters (Kirk).

Also highly recommend ProMediaGear's Boomerang flash bracket. Fits the L-Bracket and is the quickest landscape/portrait switch that I've seen.

Dual camera holsters belt with the Arca-Swiss Clamps (Spiderholster). The clamps are quick release so that you can mount the camera to the tripod and then back to the straps very quickly.

Double straps harness DR-1 (Blackrapid). This attaches to the Spider clamps. If not using the clamps, you have to unscrew the Blackrapid and will be slower.

I, also, am paranoid about having a single point of attachment. With this setup, I made a 1" loop with a long velcro strip, wrap it around about 3 or 4 times, around the corner of the L-Bracket, then bought a small, high-strength carabiner and attached it through both the Blackrapid carabiner and the velcro. Now, if the Blackrapid or Spider clamp fails, the L-bracket should save the camera. Wasn't meant to be if the L-bracket fails! 

This setup gives me a lot of confidence about not dropping the cameras. Single camera version of this setup is great, too. I'll attach a Lowepro Lens Exchange 200AW to the opposite side for easier lens changes.

Hope this was helpful and gives you some ideas. It's also very comfortable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »