December 21, 2014, 11:10:53 AM

Author Topic: Tripod and multiple camera straps  (Read 7765 times)

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod and multiple camera straps
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Hi all. I know this sounds odd, but I am frustrated with the time/effort required to swap lenses back and forth from my sling bag to the camera body.  As a possible solution, I  am thinking about a strap system that permits carrying two bodies with different lenses, e.g., cotton carrier. Unfortunately, I almost always shoot from a tripod.  So, my question is whether anyone has solved the problem of ready accessibility of two camera bodies and a tripod? No, I don't want to carry two tripods  Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would suggest a black rapid strap with the arca clamp (as suggested above) connected. Both camera bodies  with arca plates attached, and a holster for your second camera. Think Tank and Lowepro make some excellent ones in a variety of sizes to accommodate pretty much any camera/lens combo. I favor the Think Tank due to being a little more streamlined, and the bottom of the case can easily be expanded to accommodate larger lenses, lens caps extended, or a prime dropped down there. You can carry them on a shoulder strap, a camera belt, or both...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »

woollybear

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »
I, also, am paranoid about having a single point of attachment. With this setup, I made a 1" loop with a long velcro strip, wrap it around about 3 or 4 times, around the corner of the L-Bracket, then bought a small, high-strength carabiner and attached it through both the Blackrapid carabiner and the velcro. Now, if the Blackrapid or Spider clamp fails, the L-bracket should save the camera. Wasn't meant to be if the L-bracket fails! 

Would you mind posting a photo?  I think I know what you are doing, and it would certainly help ease my restless mind, but a pic would really be nice.

lenstrack26

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Douglas C. Dooley, Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
Thank you all very much for your helpful suggestions. It is interesting to learn that many photographers have encountered the same practical issues and that many of you have come up with your own inventive solutions.  Looks like there's some room for manufacturers to come up with improved alternatives! :)
EOS 3, Canon 10D, 5D Mark I, II, III, Canon 14 mm L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 100 II L macro

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
I could never stand the crap-rapid strap system, or any other tripod mounted junk...I use a tripod way too often and switch between a 1Ds3, 1D3, and 1VHS constantly. Even as far as mounting a 4x5 on the fly. I prefer to use the Op-Tech sling system with Arca Swiss plates on the bottom. The op-techs are much more stable than swinging on a 1/4-20 thread - I've ripped out the bottom of a 1DsII with a regular plate, and very little weight. The tripod mount is cast pot metal and is fairly easy to strip. I actually mount a modified Hasselblad Winder CW wrist strap from the right top strap lug to the lower right (under the grip), then add the buckles to that webbing line. Then, I grabbed some Velcro cord wrap (double-sided velcro) around the buckles if I plan on the bodies swinging around a lot.

I've never had one of the buckles fail, even with full loads. I just bandolier the two over my body and hike away. Without the Velcro "secondaries", I can even quickly unbuckle the cameras for tripod usage if I don't want a strap hanging around the tripod. The design behind all the tripod-socket mounted ones is obviously for people who never use a tripod - I know way too many of them. Fine for some applications, but these same people later complain about their landscapes not being sharp...hmmm.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
The design behind all the tripod-socket mounted ones is obviously for people who never use a tripod - I know way too many of them.

Shhhhh...don't tell that to the Wimberley/RRS plates/L-brackets on my bodies and lenses or my frequently-used RRS tripods/monopod.  As stated, there are good workarounds for those of us who use Blackrapid straps and tripods/monopods.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
Thank you all very much for your helpful suggestions. It is interesting to learn that many photographers have encountered the same practical issues and that many of you have come up with your own inventive solutions.  Looks like there's some room for manufacturers to come up with improved alternatives! :)

Yes...room for alternatives!
I use a Cotton Carrier for 2 bodies while shooting live stage performances. I like that the bodies don't dangle with this system as I'm running around quite a bit. However, during these shoots, my L brackets are removed from the cameras.
It seems your intent is to have the ability to use 1 tripod and two bodies with different lenses attached. You would clearly need a system that accommodates the use of L brackets.
RRS has a new device that might help...
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FABN&type=0&eq=

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
Here is another clamp to use with a BR strap and Arca-swiss plates.  I haven't used it, but looks like it would be the quickest transition from hip to tripod:

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=86&cat=3&page=1
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
Here is another clamp to use with a BR strap and Arca-swiss plates.  I haven't used it, but looks like it would be the quickest transition from hip to tripod:

I like it, but I would worry that the quick release arm would too easily get caught on something you brush up against, flip open and release the gear attached.

That new RRS clamp seems like it might work for the OP because the clamp attaches to your camera strap then clamps to your L bracket. It looks like you can simply unclamp the strap from the bracket and move directly to tripod.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:38:43 PM by brett b »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

I've seen that before...seems to me that a lever release clamp on a dangling strap would be the quickest transition from hip to pavement.   :o

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »

I've seen that before...seems to me that a lever release clamp on a dangling strap would be the quickest transition from hip to pavement.   :o

That's what I first thought when I saw it.  A demonstration showed that you push a button on the lever to release it (much like a lock-back knife) and that bumping the lever in either direction will not release it.
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »

That's what I first thought when I saw it.  A demonstration showed that you push a button on the lever to release it (much like a lock-back knife) and that bumping the lever in either direction will not release it.

Thanks - that makes a lot more sense! 

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »
Not sure if a belt setup is an option - you let go of the camera, but if you're good with your placement you can feel it slide into the Spider Holster.  I hate their plates (hand size when used with the vertical grip) so I use the CarrySpeed F1 folding plate.  Only thing it isn't is a L bracket.

Upside is the cameras are lower than when on a strap, walking around is easy.  Downside is you can't hike it up high if you're sitting around.

"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

Thanks - that makes a lot more sense!

looked at it on line and it seems to require a positive action to open the clamp.  Neuro - I had the same reaction initially, if the clamp accidentally opened, the camera would hit the ground in under a second

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
A tripod head with quick release plates and just buy two plates, one on each camera?

Suggest an L bracket for each camera - let's you turn the camera vertical without putting weight off to the side of the tripod (ball head).  Plus I have plates on all my lenses.  To save a few $ is not worth the hassle of moving plates between lens.  And the better L brackets (or camera plates) are custom for each body.

As far as BR strap, I trust an anchor point I screw into the plate or body.  I am not comfortable with a small clamp (e.g., the Kirk system) which could get loose and have camera crash to the floor.  Too bad there is no L bracket with an attachment point that does not interfere with mounting on a ball head.

this is what i do
however i took a dremel to my really right stuff L brackets so that the black rapid  FastenR-T1 thats fits inside and flaps down and hides when on a tripod
also a side benefit of it being a dremel hack job is there is quite a bit of metal on metal friction resistance that stops it coming unscrewed. Mine have never even come close to accidentally unscrewing

works really well
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:25:25 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »
Hi all. I know this sounds odd, but I am frustrated with the time/effort required to swap lenses back and forth from my sling bag to the camera body.  As a possible solution, I  am thinking about a strap system that permits carrying two bodies with different lenses, e.g., cotton carrier. Unfortunately, I almost always shoot from a tripod. 

A tripod would indicate that you are pretty stationary. What are you shooting, if you do not mind me asking?

I am curious because I understand a strap system for hand holding or sports (where a monopod is common) where you have to quickly switch between one body and another, but using a tripod would suggest you are a little more stationary, can you not just carry the second body with lens attached in one of the lowepro bags (or similar) and whip it out when you need? That's what I do when I cover a sports event where I need two bodies, I just leave it on the floor or in the open bag, if I move around one is in the bag, the other around my neck.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »