August 27, 2014, 11:27:06 AM

Author Topic: Review - Google Glass  (Read 4252 times)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
Review - Google Glass
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
And now for something completely different ...

So I happened to get the first pair on the West Coast which was fun, and have been using this new device for about two weeks. Focusing on the camera aspect, I'm finding it takes remarkably good pictures and video, and I think I know why. One, there's no zoom, so no crummy plastic zoom lens hunting around. Two, it sits on the best tripod you have - your head. By best I mean the most readily available, convenient and stable. It even auto-tracks your subject?

Anyhow it beats the hell out of using a cell phone camera, but the video and stills aren't as good as my S100. But when you add in the stability and orders of magnitude better convenience it's a winner. It's my new go-to for snapshots and videos.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Google Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
.....but how well does it take a 1.4xIII extender?  :o

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
and does it AF at f8

And another camera that doesn't shoot 60fps 4k raw

;D
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
So I am guessing the faster you run, the faster the zoom speed?  8)
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
Without "proof of life" I'm inclined to call BS.

Oh my, a BS detection expert. How about a photograph of me with Sergey Brin sporting Glass?

https://plus.google.com/101918765439807869784/posts/K8bUd8tJFFb

At any rate if you could get up the effort to do a search you'll see I've been posting here about Glass and saying I'll get it and do a review. I just didn't know I'd be the first.

And please no more droll comments about f8, extenders etc ... this is a new type of camera technology, if you want to strap a 24-105 to your head be my guest.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Without "proof of life" I'm inclined to call BS.

Oh my, a BS detection expert. How about a photograph of me with Sergey Brin sporting Glass?

https://plus.google.com/101918765439807869784/posts/K8bUd8tJFFb

At any rate if you could get up the effort to do a search you'll see I've been posting here about Glass and saying I'll get it and do a review. I just didn't know I'd be the first.

And please no more droll comments about f8, extenders etc ... this is a new type of camera technology, if you want to strap a 24-105 to your head be my guest.

Thanks for posting, Ignore the trolls.

As to stability, can you explain a little more without giving away any trade secrets?  I always believed that people move their eyes at a very fast speed to give stable vision, and that some IS is also built into our brain.  Is the stability just based on holding one's head still?

Are you allowed to post any images?

Thanks again.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Thanks Mt Spokane,

That is the interesting thing about this, the shots I'm getting from Glass are far better than I expected. The head/tripod idea is just a thought as to why this would be. When taking video I have to be careful not to pan my head too fast, we do that faster than people are comfortable viewing. But for stills I and others have done side by side comparisons with DSLR's and found them to be quite good, taking into consideration sensor size, etc.

No trade secrets, the device is in the wild now. By stability I just mean that something on your head is going to be more stable than a iPhone camera in your hand cantilevered out from your body at the end of your arm.

From a convenience standpoint it's no comparison, I'm getting about 60 shots a day with it easily whereas before I'd be lucky to get 60 a week with a regular camera. And I'm getting better, more candid shots. Check this out

https://plus.google.com/101918765439807869784/posts/KDDixNu833G

I was getting interviewed by the WSJ on this one. Technically it's not the best shot, if I had a DSLR with a circ polarizer and flash it would be better. But I never would have gotten those expressions - I was being interviewed.

So here's another thought - this may be the fantastic street camera.. Why? Nobody knows you're taking a shot. I'm a terrible candid and street photog but with Glass I'm getting some really good and interesting shots.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »
So when will you be allowed to share the pictures you take?

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:31:52 PM »

https://plus.google.com/101918765439807869784/posts/KDDixNu833G

I was getting interviewed by the WSJ on this one. Technically it's not the best shot, if I had a DSLR with a circ polarizer and flash it would be better. But I never would have gotten those expressions - I was being interviewed.

So here's another thought - this may be the fantastic street camera.. Why? Nobody knows you're taking a shot. I'm a terrible candid and street photog but with Glass I'm getting some really good and interesting shots.

Interesting!  I'm getting up there in years, but still appreciate and learn about new technology. 

As I recall, you were a contractor involved with the software end of it.  I find it exciting to have someone posting at CR who is involved.

Why not contract Craig (CR Guy) about a article for the CR Reviews page.  I'm sure he would be interesting in posting a in depth review of the camera. 

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 01:52:38 AM »
So here's another thought - this may be the fantastic street camera..

Along those lines...I often find myself wondering how a particular scene was shot in a film and enjoy watching a documentary showing how it was done.  I'm not talking special effects type scenes, just those that make you wonder "How did they do that?"  Glass would seem to be a useful tool for that type of work.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:29 AM »
With all the paranoia around regarding authorities and public photography I can see many places treating this as a ‘spy’ cam and reacting accordingly, fascinated to see how this technology progresses.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »
Enjoyed reading your thoughts on Glass....looking forward to more.....thanks.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing FunPhotons. I did follow a couple of EnGadget's videos of the Google Glass and can see it has potential.

Could you tell us a little more about them, apart from the camera. What are they like to wear, what do the weigh, what are your thoughts on the security issue (anyone can pick them up and use them), how is it to read an email on them, what apps are you using? That sort of thing.

Thanks.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the HUD aspect. What kind of info does it display and how easy is it to see?

I've said for a while, as a motorbike rider, that the next big innovation will be HUD for speedometer, gear position info etc.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:26:56 AM by Harry Muff »
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the HUD aspect. What kind of info does it display and how easy is it to see?

I've said the a while, as a motorbike rider, that the next big innovation will be HUD for speedometer, gear position info etc.

Your thoughts?

I agree, this is a first generation, but the potential to run apps and view information seems huge to me.  I read that there is a lineup of companies wanting to write apps