July 23, 2014, 10:09:27 AM

Author Topic: Review - Google Glass  (Read 4125 times)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Google Glass
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
As I recall, you were a contractor involved with the software end of it.  I find it exciting to have someone posting at CR who is involved.

Why not contract Craig (CR Guy) about a article for the CR Reviews page.  I'm sure he would be interesting in posting a in depth review of the camera.

I'm an independent developer ... I could do an article but I'm rather tired of it after being interviewed with WSJ, BBC etc blah blah. If Craig asked I'd probably do it though but I'm too lazy to ask myself :)

So when will you be allowed to share the pictures you take?

It's my device so I've been sharing copiously. Check out my Plus account above or YouTube account (same name) for plenty of examples.

With all the paranoia around regarding authorities and public photography I can see many places treating this as a ‘spy’ cam and reacting accordingly, fascinated to see how this technology progresses.

I think the spy cam ideas are overblown. There are way better spy cams out there, check out the Memoto for one.

Could you tell us a little more about them, apart from the camera. What are they like to wear, what do the weigh, what are your thoughts on the security issue (anyone can pick them up and use them), how is it to read an email on them, what apps are you using? That sort of thing.

I've been posting copiously on Google+ so I encourage you to check there. In brief they are very comfortable and when you add in the phone call, SMS, email and new apps being developed (including by me :) ) then it's a hands down winner. Getting an email and responding to it effortlessly in a few seconds while you're doing whatever is really neat. It actually is easier than a cell phone.

'm mostly interested in the HUD aspect. What kind of info does it display and how easy is it to see?

Check my YouTube for a video showing the HUD menus (search for Dan McLaughlin Glass). It's quite readable at 640x340 IIRC. Given the relative focal lengths (approx 4') you don't want to read a novel on it however.

've said for a while, as a motorbike rider, that the next big innovation will be HUD for speedometer, gear position info etc.

Check out the motorcycle video a friend of mine and fellow Glass Explorer - Noble Ackerson - put on Google Plus. Also some neat sports ones. I'm neither into bikes or sports but he is a good source :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:42:32 PM by FunPhotons »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
I'm mostly interested in the HUD aspect. What kind of info does it display and how easy is it to see?

I've said for a while, as a motorbike rider, that the next big innovation will be HUD for speedometer, gear position info etc.

This would be very interesting for cyclists too, would be great to see a map with directions on your favourite pair of Oakleys. And to be able to switch between that and a rear view shot to see what is coming up from behind (more cyclists this, than motorbike of course).

Are they waterproof?

Wonder what all this will do for people's eyes though. I do not wear glasses, so am lucky considering the amount of time I spend in front of a laptop, but having info so close must be an issue.

Would you be happy talking to someone wearing a pair though? Should a record or picture taking LED on the front be obligatory), so the other person knows if they are being recorded?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:09 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the HUD aspect. What kind of info does it display and how easy is it to see?

I've said for a while, as a motorbike rider, that the next big innovation will be HUD for speedometer, gear position info etc.

This would be very interesting for cyclists too, would be great to see a map with directions on your favourite pair of Oakleys. And to be able to switch between that and a rear view shot to see what is coming up from behind (more cyclists this, than motorbike of course).
Great ideas! Hopefully Google is crawling this great idea and reporting it back to Big Brother ;)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
and does it AF at f8

And another camera that doesn't shoot 60fps 4k raw

;D

what about the bokeh? how is its Dof vs full frame and what score will DxO give its Dynamic range?

:P
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »