July 29, 2014, 04:37:30 PM

Author Topic: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?  (Read 25814 times)

dude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
I have a 5Diii so the 1DX is a luxury for me. I can wait. I would like to buy it now though. The biggest reason for me waiting is for the dual pixel sensor. Low light focusing is a big deal and I think the dual pixel tech will refine this a bit more. I am also hopeful it will improve the focus response time in AI servo.

Am I crazy for thinking that sensor will improve those two areas?
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
The biggest reason for me waiting is for the dual pixel sensor.

The biggest benefits of dual pixel sensors is for live-view focusing and video. Neither of these are priorities of the 1D-X target market. Canon will be in no hurry to put this technology in the 1D-X series and if it requires any tradeoffs it may never make it into the series.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
The biggest reason for me waiting is for the dual pixel sensor.

The biggest benefits of dual pixel sensors is for live-view focusing and video. Neither of these are priorities of the 1D-X target market. Canon will be in no hurry to put this technology in the 1D-X series and if it requires any tradeoffs it may never make it into the series.

Probably will see dual pixels in 5D M4 - just like the 5D M3 has an HDR mode and the 1Dx does not

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
Well, it is the time to finally buy the 1DX. I have enough money. However, should I wait for an upgrade? I am not an expert who reads photo forums and rumors everyday. I came here to ask you camera junkies if it is time to buy it or wait.

What is the verdict?

Dear Friend.
Yes, You have a choice Buy 1Dx now = $6,800 US Dollars  and get 18 MP sensor----BUT , If you already have 2-3 years old good camera--Just use that money buy the Best Lenses---Just In my IDEA, I will wait another 6 months( Next Summer Big show in Las Vegas) for the new 1Ds mk IV= $ 8,000 US Dollars = 36 MP ( or More than 36 MP ??).
I have learn from the PRO, = Buy the New camera , If  double MP. ( L. X H.)= 2 times of MP. of your old camera, and  50% improvement of Higher ISO. of your old camera.

Yes, I already have Canon  20D,  1DS MK I, 7D, 5D MK II---------My Friends ask me , Why I do not buy 5D MK III and 1Dx now---I tell all my friends that , I already have the thing that I need to do the good Job for my Hobby, Plus for my Past Time " PRO "  + I already have 13 " L " Lens of total 37 " L " lens MFG. by Canon and I will have 24 " L " Lenses to buy in the near future----Ha, Ha, Ha..
Yes, I will wait for 3D and 1Ds MK IV in 2014.

YES, THAT JUST ONLY MY IDEA, and I am not the real PRO , YET.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:58:50 AM by surapon »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:11 AM »
Well, it is the time to finally buy the 1DX. I have enough money. However, should I wait for an upgrade? I am not an expert who reads photo forums and rumors everyday. I came here to ask you camera junkies if it is time to buy it or wait.

What is the verdict?

Dear Friend.
Yes, You have a choice Buy 1Dx now = $6,800 US Dollars  and get 18 MP sensor----BUT , If you already have 2-3 years old good camera--Just use that money buy the Best Lenses---Just In my IDEA, I will wait another 6 months( Next Summer Big show in Las Vegas) for the new 1Ds mk IV= $ 8,000 US Dollars = 36 MP ( or More than 36 MP ??).
I have learn from the PRO, = Buy the New camera , If  double MP. ( L. X H.)= 2 times of MP. of your old camera, and  50% improvement of Higher ISO. of your old camera.

Yes, I already have Canon  20D,  1DS MK I, 7D, 5D MK II---------My Friends ask me , Why I do not buy 5D MK III and 1Dx now---I tell all my friends that , I already have the thing that I need to do the good Job for my Hobby, Plus for my Past Time " PRO "  + I already have 13 " L " Lens of total 37 " L " lens MFG. by Canon and I will have 24 " L " Lenses to buy in the near future----Ha, Ha, Ha..

Surapon

Pros generally need multiple camera bodies. A pair of 1Dx cameras is eye wateringly expensive and doesn't offer much more over a pair of 5DIII's in terms of features. Ok, the 1Dx is built more robustly, has better AI Servo tracking (the 5DIII is no slouch in this area) and 12 fps. But it's shutter sounds like a machine gun (loud and fast) compared to the softer 5DIII, which has a fantastic quiet mode....which really works.
As a working pro, I saw more avantages in a pair of 5DIII's than a pair of 1Dx's. I have a yearly budget for upgrading cameras and lenses, my camera body upgrades (over two years) easily fell into that bracket. This year, it's time to upgrade my 24-70L for a mkII and maybe one other lens upgrade.   

M.ST

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Wait for an update if you don´t need a new camera yet.

There is a professional event in Berlin that start from oct 12th. On my invite is a 1D style body.

We will see what is coming or maybe will announced.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:11:18 AM by M.ST »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
Wait for an update if you don´t need a new camera yet.

There is a professional event in Berlin that start from oct 12th. On my invite is a 1D style body.

We will see what is coming or maybe will announced.

we have discussed that already. :)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17249.0

seems like an discussion forum.. so chance for an announcment are small.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:07:13 AM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »

What is the verdict?

Dear Friend.

Surapon

Pros generally need multiple camera bodies. A pair of 1Dx cameras is eye wateringly expensive and doesn't offer much more over a pair of 5DIII's in terms of features. Ok, the 1Dx is built more robustly, has better AI Servo tracking (the 5DIII is no slouch in this area) and 12 fps. But it's shutter sounds like a machine gun (loud and fast) compared to the softer 5DIII, which has a fantastic quiet mode....which really works.
As a working pro, I saw more avantages in a pair of 5DIII's than a pair of 1Dx's. I have a yearly budget for upgrading cameras and lenses, my camera body upgrades (over two years) easily fell into that bracket. This year, it's time to upgrade my 24-70L for a mkII and maybe one other lens upgrade.

Thank you, Sir, Dear  GMCPhotographics
Great suggestion, Sir---You are right, We, as the Press/ Photographers, we need 2 or 3 cameras body for many Lenses as " Army in one "---For many type of Photos, and many type of Distant to the subjects---With out waste our time to change the lenses, and the get the dust in to the sensor = Bad UFOs.
Yes, I try 1Dx two months ago, Free try from CPS, And I try to print 36 X 42 Inches and 42 X 60 inches / Hard Print on my HP.  Large format Printer, I still do not like the quality of 18-19 MP  sensor of 1Dx  Which Not Much difference to my dear 5D MK II= in day light scenery views)---That why I will wait for 3D or 1Ds MK IV, which should more than 36 MP ( Which will beat Nikon D800 , or D800E= 36.3 MP.).
Have a great night, Sir. Nice to talk to you.
Surapon
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:10:23 PM by surapon »

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
I agree that if you can wait, you should.  If you can't wait and can afford it, you should absolutely buy a 1DX now.  Or else a 5D3, or 6D...or any combination.

In this case I must admit that I don't get the reason for waiting. What would you be waiting for?

There is no 1D-X Mark II or anything like it coming out anytime soon. There's no one pushing Canon to release anything like that in a hurry, not with the Nikon D4 being as it is. If Nikon would bring out a D5 or D4s or whatever its name, which would be topping Canon's 1D-X in many characteristics, things would look different, but this not happening.

As for the high MP Canon camera, where is it? There is not even a product announcement out. There are only rumors. If you want to wait, you will probably still be waiting in about 2 years.

I think there's enough 'growing pain issues' with the 1DX that Canon might produce a secodn version that addresses the issues- Just speculation of course- but if I wasn't wanting a new 1DX right away, and I had other cameras which I liked using and gave good results, (perhaps 5D2, or 1D3 or whatever), I'd wait a year or two to see if the issues are addressed (ones that can't be fixed via firmware upgrade).

The 1DX as it is is no sluch- it's a great rugged camera- and woudl be a worthy investment for the reasons I mentioned in previous post- but if I was in no rush, I'd just hold off a bit and see if canon might be planning somethign with improvements- and who knows, they might even be able to throw in a coupel more megapixels? maybe not, but who knows-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »