September 22, 2014, 10:40:57 AM

Author Topic: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?  (Read 27105 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:56 AM »
If they do introduce a high MP body that is not a 1 series, then it will have to avoid stepping on the 5D3's toes.

<4 fps, and the 6D's AF system. Done.

yea that would sure do it all right.   It would be an interesting separastion of the market, i.e. come in both "above" and "below" the D800.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:56 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Now that magic lantern has supposedly hacked the 5D3 to deliver raw video that is comparable or superior to the Black Magic cinema camera at a similar price, I suspect even more 5D3's will be sold than before.

I finally got around to seeing "Iron Man 3" yesterday.  The 3D is a total waste here, in my opinion.  But I watched to the end of the credits on a friends' advice, since there's a mildy witty scene that pops up there.  I also noticed they credited Canon EOS as one of the camera systems used...I assume they used the 1Dc, or something else?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
If they do introduce a high MP body that is not a 1 series, then it will have to avoid stepping on the 5D3's toes.

please god no! FPS i dont care but hell even the rebels get better AF than the 6D!
APS-H Fanboy

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

please god no! FPS i dont care but hell even the rebels get better AF than the 6D!

yea it will be interesting to see if Canon produces a 6D-"ish" big megapickle body.  Assuming better sensor technology, the implication would be that such a camera would equal or outrun the 6D in every way, which means it will either kill the 6D or be priced accordingly.    But with a higher price would come increased expectation for, or frustration with the low end AF, which is an argument in favor of something better.  But it can't be too much better than the 6D because the 6D is already Canon's statement of separation between entry level FF and 5D3, and such a camera can't kill either of those.  Is there room for a FF body "in between" 6D and 5D3 without killing either?

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm looking at the 1DX. Being only 18 months old I would expect it to sell through Christmas then just like Apple, Canon would flood the market with product refreshes. I normally wouldn't care but the new dual pix sensor could be a big deal between current 1DX and "future 1DX".

Everyone thinking 2014 for 1DX refresh or do you believe it pushes to 2015?
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
I would be very surprised if we see a 1DX replacement in 2014.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
Well, it is the time to finally buy the 1DX. I have enough money. However, should I wait for an upgrade? I am not an expert who reads photo forums and rumors everyday. I came here to ask you camera junkies if it is time to buy it or wait.

What is the verdict?

I'm strucggling to get my head around this comment "Im not an expert" and yet you are about to buy a 12fps top of the tier, current state of the art professional camera, which happens to be the most expensive DSLR in Canon's portfolio. I'm pretty confident that you would be better served with either a 6D, 7D or 5DIII. There are very few photographers who really need the 1Dx's benefits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
Well, it is the time to finally buy the 1DX. I have enough money. However, should I wait for an upgrade? I am not an expert who reads photo forums and rumors everyday. I came here to ask you camera junkies if it is time to buy it or wait.

What is the verdict?

I'm strucggling to get my head around this comment "Im not an expert" and yet you are about to buy a 12fps top of the tier, current state of the art professional camera, which happens to be the most expensive DSLR in Canon's portfolio. I'm pretty confident that you would be better served with either a 6D, 7D or 5DIII. There are very few photographers who really need the 1Dx's benefits.

For Canon's sake just let him/her purchase a 1D-X. I don't care if anyone is some sort of genius photography artist or just a hobbyist. If you can buy the best, why bother with the rest?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:36:26 AM by AmbientLight »

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
I am with you. Let him. It helps Canon, the Canon eco system, everyone. If every camera they sold was a 1DX just imagine how much more R&D Canon could invest to make a better next version.

I just can't see them not upgrading to the new Dual Pixel sensor a later than 2014 but I guess 2015 makes more sense as stated above.

[/quote]

For Canon's sake just let him/her purchase a 1D-X. I don't care if anyone is some sort of genius photography artist or just a hobbyist. If you can buy the best, why bother with the rest?
[/quote]
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »
My philosophy is "BUY ONE NOW IF YOU NEED IT."  The savings you make in waiting has to offset the lost opportunity cost in not having it sooner.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »

What is the verdict?

well,, the purpose of the question is clearly stated.  The OP wants comments on the 1DX life cycle;  he did not ask us to infer anything about his photography skills or whether or not he is worthy of a 1DX.  He asked if it is time to buy or wait;  why not just try to answer the question that was asked?  As for the "not an expert" comment -- and especially for the purpose of answsering the question, Note that the OP was admitting non-familiarity with rumors, and lifecycles.   

The 1DX lifecycle isn't something I pay much attention to, but with that in mind I would suggest that the camera is still "young" as regards Canon's typical 1 series timelines.  We may see a different body introduced or announced in the next year, but such a body would not replace the 1DX  - it it more likely to optimize for a different core capability set (landscapes). 

So my comment to the OP would be to try and analyze your needs/wants and let that help drive your decision:  For example, if your desire is to optimize for sports and action, and you have the need or want the capability now, then buy the 1DX for sure.  I don 't see Canon updating its flagship sports/action camera very soon.  However, if sports/action isn't the most important of your goals and you have the luxury of watching for a while, especially if you are planing only one purchase, then wait a year and see what 2014 announcments might come down.

That said, if money will never be an issue then even if Canon does introduce another body in the next 12-18 months you can always buy that one when it comes out, and either keep or sell your 1DX. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:31:38 AM by dlleno »

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »
I'm no expert either- what I am is very clumsy, and accident prone- and thsi was a driving force in determing my choice for the 1DX- that and the fact that it's rated at more than twice the shutter count of the 5D111 AND it's basically a waterproof camera, and I'm always gettign caught in the rain when 2 miles up a trail looking for scenery to shoot=- Plus, don't forget, you can get the shutter mechanism replaced for not too much money if and when it does crap out, which will further extend the life fo the camera/investment- plus, you will have an awesoem 12 frame per second camera with a beefy feel to it that's rugged and tough- and if you're accident prone like me, you won't have to wrry abotu knockign any dials off the camera liek you would if you had the 5D111 or 7D or 6D or whatever-

Now, the question becoems shoudl you wait? I woudl say yes, wait for the updated version- there were a few issues with hte 1Dx as well as thigns peopel didn't like abotu hte 1DX that might be improved upon in next version IF there is goiogn to be a next version?  The 1DX was kind of a first geenration camera, and had a few kinks like most first edition models- which eventaully get worked out- soem features were not present that users wished liked GPS inbuilt, incamera HDR, Wifi inbuilt, better highlight and shadow settings for better results in either highlights or shadows- (the current 1DX isn't that great compared with otuer cameras in thsi department yet) as well as soem lowl ight focusing point issues and an umber of other smaller issues-- but of course none o these means much if you're not itnerested in thsoe features anyways- but if they can be offered for aroudn the same price- in an updated version, then they woudl be ni=ce to have IF you decide they are useful-

The ISO capabiklities of the 1DX are icnredible compared to my 7D- I was actually kinda shocked at how high I could go and get pretty decent resutls with hte 1DX- plus full frame was a treat-

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »
I'm no expert either- what I am is very clumsy, and accident prone- and thsi was a driving force in determing my choice for the 1DX- that and the fact that it's rated at more than twice the shutter count of the 5D111 AND it's basically a waterproof camera, and I'm always gettign caught in the rain when 2 miles up a trail looking for scenery to shoot=- Plus, don't forget, you can get the shutter mechanism replaced for not too much money if and when it does crap out, which will further extend the life fo the camera/investment- plus, you will have an awesoem 12 frame per second camera with a beefy feel to it that's rugged and tough- and if you're accident prone like me, you won't have to wrry abotu knockign any dials off the camera liek you would if you had the 5D111 or 7D or 6D or whatever-

Now, the question becoems shoudl you wait? I woudl say yes, wait for the updated version- there were a few issues with hte 1Dx as well as thigns peopel didn't like abotu hte 1DX that might be improved upon in next version IF there is goiogn to be a next version?  The 1DX was kind of a first geenration camera, and had a few kinks like most first edition models- which eventaully get worked out- soem features were not present that users wished liked GPS inbuilt, incamera HDR, Wifi inbuilt, better highlight and shadow settings for better results in either highlights or shadows- (the current 1DX isn't that great compared with otuer cameras in thsi department yet) as well as soem lowl ight focusing point issues and an umber of other smaller issues-- but of course none o these means much if you're not itnerested in thsoe features anyways- but if they can be offered for aroudn the same price- in an updated version, then they woudl be ni=ce to have IF you decide they are useful-

The ISO capabiklities of the 1DX are icnredible compared to my 7D- I was actually kinda shocked at how high I could go and get pretty decent resutls with hte 1DX- plus full frame was a treat-

I agree that if you can wait, you should.  If you can't wait and can afford it, you should absolutely buy a 1DX now.  Or else a 5D3, or 6D...or any combination.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
I agree that if you can wait, you should.  If you can't wait and can afford it, you should absolutely buy a 1DX now.  Or else a 5D3, or 6D...or any combination.

In this case I must admit that I don't get the reason for waiting. What would you be waiting for?

There is no 1D-X Mark II or anything like it coming out anytime soon. There's no one pushing Canon to release anything like that in a hurry, not with the Nikon D4 being as it is. If Nikon would bring out a D5 or D4s or whatever its name, which would be topping Canon's 1D-X in many characteristics, things would look different, but this not happening.

As for the high MP Canon camera, where is it? There is not even a product announcement out. There are only rumors. If you want to wait, you will probably still be waiting in about 2 years.

Vossie

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
I would wait for the higher MP medium format Canon EOS. That will allow you to scan your books with much more detail than the mere 18 MP of the 1Dx.

I hope they will give the medium format EOS a decent fbs, otherwise it will take too much time to scan your books. (With a 12 fps 1Dx it will aready cost you half a minute to scan a 360 page book, provided that your buffer dos not run full).
5D3, 16-35LII, 24-70 2.8LII, 24-105L, 85LII, 70-200 2.8LII, 100L, 135L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 40 2.8, Sigma 180 3.5 EX, 1.4x TC III, 600EX, 550EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »