October 01, 2014, 07:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?  (Read 27368 times)

NostraHistoria

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »
Well, it is the time to finally buy the 1DX. I have enough money. However, should I wait for an upgrade? I am not an expert who reads photo forums and rumors everyday. I came here to ask you camera junkies if it is time to buy it or wait.

What is the verdict?

canon rumors FORUM

Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
Buy. Or wait...the update to the 1D X should be along in 2-3 years.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

NostraHistoria

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Buy. Or wait...the update to the 1D X should be along in 2-3 years.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

It is time to get the best finally.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Well that was easy.  :o
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
Buy buy buy  :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
Don't wait, buy it if you need it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
Is there a specific reason you want 1dx? If I were you, I'd buy either 5d mark iii or 7d mark ii (hopefully released soon). I'm pretty sure either one will be more than enough for you, especially if you don't photograph for living. Save some money and get 1dx/1dx ii or high-megapixel camera later.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
There are many good discussion points about such a purchase.
  • What do you shoot with now?
  • Why do you want/need a 1DX?
  • What do you think a 1DX MkII will have that the 1DX doesn't?
  • Do you need/want these additional speculative features?

If your current camera is letting you down, get the 1DX.
If you want it just because you want it, get the 1DX.
If you don't have a pretty good idea of what a MkII will have that you need over the 1DX, get the 1DX.
If a 1DX can do the job/satisfy the desire you have for a new camera, get the 1DX.

I want a 1DX, I even have the money set aside for one, but I don't need it, so I am in the slightly unusual position of making a conscious decision to wait and see what the MkII brings. Some of the many features I'd really like from the current camera are the medium iso performance, 800-3200 iso; the newer RT flash integration, the better screen, the multiple exposure function, the second joystick etc etc. I could get a couple of 5D MkIII's to get the MP I demand and use, but at this point I am happy to wait.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

crasher8

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
That is going to be one long wait.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
That is going to be one long wait.

1D: thirty months
1D MkII: twenty one months
1D MkIIN: fifteen months
1D MkIII: thirty three months
1D MkIV: thirty one months
1DX: eighteen months and counting

I estimate that the replacement will be around the thirty six month mark, so another eighteen months is fine by me. If I get work beforehand that demands the better features of the 1DX then I'll get one, but at the moment I am content to wait. I will not buy a lower pixel count than I have unless there is an overwhelming need for me to, on the other hand I have no interest in a very high MP camera.

Don't forget many of these tools are bought by companies on buying cycles, Canon needs to keep renewing their products to keep these big buyers buying, if there is nothing new for them on the 36 month mark they just won't renew, they will just keep their old cameras until a newer overdue model is released.

Canon might like to think they have drew a line in the sand saying the 1DX replaced the 1Ds MkIII, but they fooled nobody, certainly no 1Ds MkIII owners. They will come out with a high MP camera that will be the logical 1Ds replacement, then the 1DX will fall back to being the higher turnover pro "sports" camera.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

NostraHistoria

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
There are many good discussion points about such a purchase.
  • What do you shoot with now?
  • Why do you want/need a 1DX?
  • What do you think a 1DX MkII will have that the 1DX doesn't?
  • Do you need/want these additional speculative features?

If your current camera is letting you down, get the 1DX.
If you want it just because you want it, get the 1DX.
If you don't have a pretty good idea of what a MkII will have that you need over the 1DX, get the 1DX.
If a 1DX can do the job/satisfy the desire you have for a new camera, get the 1DX.

I want a 1DX, I even have the money set aside for one, but I don't need it, so I am in the slightly unusual position of making a conscious decision to wait and see what the MkII brings. Some of the many features I'd really like from the current camera are the medium iso performance, 800-3200 iso; the newer RT flash integration, the better screen, the multiple exposure function, the second joystick etc etc. I could get a couple of 5D MkIII's to get the MP I demand and use, but at this point I am happy to wait.

I want the best camera there is. I am a perfectionist and I always want the best of everything.

I read an article that compared the 1DX to the model that is slightly cheaper that it, and it said that the only better thing about the cheaper camera was more MPX. Other than that one point, the 1DX was obviously superior in every single way.

As for the "1DX MkII", is it mistyped? I see no "1DX MkII." I guess you just mistyped it. 

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
No, you asked if you should wait for an upgrade, speculatively that would be called a 1DX MkII.

There is no "best camera there is" it depends what you want to do with it. There are several features the 5D MkIII has that make it a "better" buy for many people over the 1DX. Those that need a 1DX generally have no interest in a 5D MkIII. Is a $100,000 Hummer "better" than a $100,000 Ferrari? It depends on what you want to do with it.........
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:13:08 PM by privatebydesign »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
Who doesn't want a 1DX??? :o   If you can afford it and you've already got the lenses that you want, then buy it by all means.  Also start exercising those biceps and neck.  I tell you, you'll gonna need it. 

IQ wise, it's Canon's best for now but not by a big margin if you consider other Canon FFs like 5D3 and 6D.  Feature wise, it's the best from Canon.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
So last month you wanted to wait to pick up a new version of a 55-250, so yes by all means I can tell you need a 1dx for your professional work. then again why not wait for a 1dx mark iv?  I've heard it will come with a Klingon death ray...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:56:43 PM by robbymack »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »