November 28, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Author Topic: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?  (Read 28842 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2013, 01:42:03 AM »
Based on what the OP has stated, it seems like this is either someone who is new to the craft of Photography or a joke thread. Nobody who is doing any kind of research would think that the 18-55 kit lens would work on a camera body that has Pro / Pricey / Technical / Built like a tank written all over it. You certainly wouldn't think that while holding the 18-55 lens.

I dont own a 1DX, but use one at job nearly every day. Being very familiar with most of the Canon FF non 1D series bodies I can honestly say that the 1DX is fantastic to use, but there are some things that bug me and work better on my 5D Classic.

For someone just buying one willy nilly, and not knowing how to navigate fluently around the technical menus, settings, button locations versus an APS-C body, or earlier 5D series body, it will seem very confusing and not easy.

The lack of a "Dial", huge battery, myriad focusing options, vast menus, heavy, and showy HAVE to play into someone's reason for purchase.

To be brutally honest, if I saw someone trying to mount a EF-S lens to a 1DX i'd think they are a dork.

BUT, to each his own, and maybe that "want" is just too tempting to say no to.

You should see the OP's other threads if you think this one is good...

I can see the next thread already
"WTF? my 1Dx has no Dial help! should i return it oh"

and

"how can i get an adapter to use my 18-55 with petal hood on my 1Dx"

or

"the noise from the 1Dx makes my ears hurt why does it have to be so loud?"

it's gonna be a corker
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2013, 01:42:03 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »
If this is a joke thread, why is it allowed to continue?  I was under the impression that the moderator has a general lack of a sense of humor...no offense to him of course, ;-).

Having not known any history of the OP, I assumed it was just another person who likes to throw money around.  Photography is not remotely the only segment where that goes on!  Just look at most any "reality tv" show lately.

Hill Benson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
Sounds like a camera salesman purging all the crap he has to deal with on a daily basis. (People with a lot more money than sense or photographic ability)
Photography is an Art form, not a fashion

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Buy now.  It's technology halfway through the product cycle and people like you provide the funding for future product improvements whether you know how to use them or not.  You'll help the economy, maybe get a few
decent snapshots and provide some struggling photographer a good deal when you sell it to upgrade.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
Buy now.  It's technology halfway through the product cycle and people like you provide the funding for future product improvements whether you know how to use them or not.  You'll help the economy, maybe get a few
decent snapshots and provide some struggling photographer a good deal when you sell it to upgrade.

Now that's some funny stuff
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

NostraHistoria

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »

Sounds like you are the poor, struggling photographer who was to buy used cameras. It goes for the rest of you who want to go on toddler's tantrum. Smart people do not ridicule. Only the ones who have inferiority complexes do it.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »
This thread reminds me of this guy

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:55 AM »
The wait for the 1Ds3 to be replaced was silly, even with the 1DX announces it was what, 8 months? before release.

So they combined the 1Ds and 1D cameras into one body and made it kick ass. You betcha they will be a much longer wait for the replacement than ever before. 3 years counting from now.

I don't think there is anything Canon can improve on this current model to make me switch to another body. Other than a true silent shutter.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:07 AM »
We all know that buying a top professional grade camera makes a newbies photos instantly better!
We all know that it's the camera body and not the lens that matters and either can make up for an lack of tallent or photographic experiance!!! LOL!!!

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »
Upgrade will be announced by late October and will ship by January. I'm also waiting.

I know many will disagree but look up the product cycles and dates of the announcement and shipments of both the 1D and 1Ds.

No disrespect meant, but I think you'll be utterly disappointed, man!

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »
I had been thinking that the OP was new to photography, but I just read through some of the "petal hood" discussion and now I'm not so sure if this isn't a joke.

Anyway...OP...forget about spending $6700 on a 1dx for shooting books, a 1dx is for sports or fast moving wildlife...let me help you upgrade your image IQ dramatically:

Buy a canon 5D3 with kit lens 24-105L .....$3500. (Comes with awesome petal hood) ;D

Invest in two good primes, 50 1.4 and 100 2.8 macro.....$1000

Invest in quality lighting......$1500  People new to photography usually don't understand the importance of light.

Invest in a quality tripod and head ......$600

Invest in Apple Aperture or Lightroom and learn to edit and enhance images.....$100

Invest some time in thoroughly reading a "basics of photography" book.

There...now you have spent your $6700 wisely.  Do these six things and i guarantee you will up your image IQ dramatically..

I realize part of your reply was made in jest (rightfully so due to the nature of this thread), but none are truer than your words, Northstar!  How you been?  Still working the 5DM3 and the 1DX, I assume.  Saw that you picked up a 300 f/2.8 already...I'm so envious.  Looking to get a 300 f/2.8 II as well...sigh...

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
I don't think there is anything Canon can improve on this current model to make me switch to another body. Other than a true silent shutter.

Totally agree with you, bro!  On both sentences quoted above.  If the 1DX had a true silent shutter...I'd sell my 5DM3 (at a loss if had to) in a heartbeat and pick up another 1DX.  For all things these two models are similar, the silent shutter is one of those things that sets the 5DM3 apart.

M.ST

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:46 AM »
Re to: Upgrade will be announced by late October and will ship by January. I'm also waiting.

Very funny.

No 1Dx upgrade will be announced late October 2013.

Maybe a 7D Mark II will be announced in October 2013.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:46 AM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »
Upgrade will be announced by late October and will ship by January. I'm also waiting.

I know many will disagree but look up the product cycles and dates of the announcement and shipments of both the 1D and 1Ds.

No disrespect meant, but I think you'll be utterly disappointed, man!

I haven't figured out if this is a real thread or not.  I mean, this is a rumor site, and one can say anything even without evidence, but some statements just don't even make sense.  Even a cursory review of the 1 series product life cycles reveals no such extraordinary possibility, and to assert that the 1DX will be refreshed in October 2013  ignores Canon's announcement that the 1DX was the amalgamation of 1D and 1Ds bodies.  Unless you count the lifespan of the 1D mark II N, you just can't construe history to expect a 1DX refresh when the body is only a year and a half old. 

we will probably see a new body in 2014 (or at least more announcements), but it won't be a 1DX refresh.  Its more likely to be a new body  with Canon's new 180nm mfg process and first competitive attempt at an improved DR, high MP landscapes type body.  Its too soon to tell, but it appears this could be a single 1-series body, a single body that is not a 1 series, or we might see more than one body introduced or announced. 

On a similar note, we can't expect a refresh of the 5D3 either, in 2014 (my opinion) since it is barely a year and a half old right now and still selling like gangbusters.  When it does arrive, the refresh of this body would still, it seems to me, preserve the 5D heritage, i.e. high ISO wedding/event work, and  not venture into the landscape space. 

Personally I expect one camera in 2014 that will be sufficiently differentiated from the 1DX and 5D3 so as to preserve these for refresh in a couple of years time -- Canon's way of forcing the market.  If they do introduce a high MP body that is not a 1 series, then it will have to avoid stepping on the 5D3's toes. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »
If they do introduce a high MP body that is not a 1 series, then it will have to avoid stepping on the 5D3's toes.

<4 fps, and the 6D's AF system. Done.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »