October 20, 2014, 07:28:13 PM

Author Topic: Focal Plus vs Pro? Which do you recommend?  (Read 4611 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Focal Plus vs Pro? Which do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
The 50L is notorious for <focus shift>, for example.

How do you focus with the lens?  Rely upon DOF to hold the focus sharp?
[/quote]

It's only an issue when stopping down a little bit (f/1.4 - f/2.8 or so), with a very close subject.  You can tweak focus a bit manually to compensate for the backfocus.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
One last thing, at the time of this writing I can't recommend the software for Mac. I had nothing but problems with it and it made for one very frustrating evening. I now run it on a windows 7 VM without issue. Just aheads up!

Ripley, did you try the latest version of the software or the older beta Mac-version? I'm looking to order the Pro version of FoCal today, and Reikan claims that it's now fully Mac compatible. What Mac are you using and what version of OSX?
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

Ripley

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
One last thing, at the time of this writing I can't recommend the software for Mac. I had nothing but problems with it and it made for one very frustrating evening. I now run it on a windows 7 VM without issue. Just aheads up!

Ripley, did you try the latest version of the software or the older beta Mac-version? I'm looking to order the Pro version of FoCal today, and Reikan claims that it's now fully Mac compatible. What Mac are you using and what version of OSX?

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro running the latest OSX. I just bought FoCal last week so I have the lastest version of that as well. Camera is a 5D3. The problem came about when the software tried to transfer the image from the camera, it would just hang and eventually crash. I already had a copy of Windows 7 Pro 64bit running on Parallels so I just installed it there and everything runs fine. Same laptop, same camera, same cable, etc. Reikan technical support said "that sounds wierd" so I don't know how prevalent the issue is. It might work great for you with your configuration, who knows. Good luck.

BTW I love the software, highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:20:04 PM by Ripley »
5Diii | 24-70L ii | 70-200L ii | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT

Ripley

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
My AFMA test results differ between wide open and stopped down to the sharpest aperture, why?

Possibly focus shift (with some lenses, stopping down shifts the focal plane).

Expounding on our discussion, here is what Reikan has to say on page 127 of "FoCal for Windows version 1.8.1"

23.3.3 Test Aperture
...It is generally suggested that the best aperture for an AF microadjustment calibration test is with the lens open widest – this will give the shallowest depth of field and the biggest difference in analysis results for each test point.

However, under some situations, the analysis may not work optimally at widest aperture – particularly with lenses that are very soft or exhibit strong aberrations at widest aperture.

If this setting is changed, it is best to run as close to wide open as possible.

Testing at the sharpest aperture is not best practice, nor does testing wide open always yield optimal results (presumably mostly with fast primes, like the 50L you mentioned).
5Diii | 24-70L ii | 70-200L ii | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Are there any discounts / promotions on the software?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »
My AFMA test results differ between wide open and stopped down to the sharpest aperture, why?

Possibly focus shift (with some lenses, stopping down shifts the focal plane).

Expounding on our discussion, here is what Reikan has to say on page 127 of "FoCal for Windows version 1.8.1"

23.3.3 Test Aperture
...It is generally suggested that the best aperture for an AF microadjustment calibration test is with the lens open widest – this will give the shallowest depth of field and the biggest difference in analysis results for each test point.

However, under some situations, the analysis may not work optimally at widest aperture – particularly with lenses that are very soft or exhibit strong aberrations at widest aperture.

If this setting is changed, it is best to run as close to wide open as possible.

Testing at the sharpest aperture is not best practice, nor does testing wide open always yield optimal results (presumably mostly with fast primes, like the 50L you mentioned).
[/quote

Just to be clear, altering that setting is NOT changing the aperture at which the autofocus step is performed.  It's changing the aperture used to capture the images for analysis.  So, in the case of the 50L for example, running the test wide open would give accurate results for shooting wide open. Testing at f/2 would give a different result (at a given distance fairly close to the camera), applicable to shooting at f/2 at that distance.  Also, the deeper DoF with a narrower aperture masks misfocused shots, making the analysis more challenging for the software (flat curve, hard to find the peak).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »