Gear Talk > Canon General

How can I tell if my Canon lenses will fit a digital camera?

(1/2) > >>

Ricarda Godeaux:
I have a Canon Elan 7 and was planning on purchasing the Canon 50D. I have a few Canon lenses to go with my camera and did not know if they would be compatible with the digital camera I was getting. How can I tell if I can switch the lenses between digital and film? So I know if I need to buy a lens to go with the camera or not.
Thanks!
I am open to any other feedback about the camera too.

macgregor mathers:

--- Quote from: Ricarda Godeaux on August 08, 2011, 11:51:53 PM ---I have a Canon Elan 7 and was planning on purchasing the Canon 50D. I have a few Canon lenses to go with my camera and did not know if they would be compatible with the digital camera I was getting. How can I tell if I can switch the lenses between digital and film? So I know if I need to buy a lens to go with the camera or not.

--- End quote ---

The Elan 7 uses the EF mount, same as the Canon 50D, so any lens compatible with the Elan 7 should be compatible with the Canon 50D. If you want to be absolutely sure, check whether the lenses have EF written on them, rather than FD or some other mount name.

TexPhoto:
The 50D will work with EF lenses and EF-S.  Your older lenses should be EF, thogh they may not say that on them.  But any lens that works with an EOS film camera should be fine with any Canon DSLR.  So you should be fine.

You could bring your older lenses into a camera store and try them out with a sample 50D. (or any Canon DSLR)

Hillsilly:
Hi.  I've got a 7E myself and can confirm that "Canon" lenses will work perfectly with a 50D.  Some older lenses from other brands (in particular, Sigma) have compatability problems.  Therefore, can't make the same guarantee for other brands.  One thing to note is that you might be lacking on the wide end. For example,  28mm acts like a 45mm on a 50D.  Most people making the change to a DSLR usually end up buying a new wide angle zoom, too. 

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: Ricarda Godeaux on August 08, 2011, 11:51:53 PM ---I have a Canon Elan 7 and was planning on purchasing the Canon 50D. I have a few Canon lenses to go with my camera and did not know if they would be compatible with the digital camera I was getting. How can I tell if I can switch the lenses between digital and film? So I know if I need to buy a lens to go with the camera or not.
Thanks!
I am open to any other feedback about the camera too.

--- End quote ---

All canon EF lenses work with all Canon EOS cameras, including digital.  They work 100%, no exceptions or work arounds.

However, older sigma lenses will probably not work with a Canon digital camera, I've 4 of the old Sigmas  here to remind me that a sigma lens just might not work on future Canon cameras.  Same with rebranded lenses made by Sigma like Quantaray.   Check them carefully before buying a older one.  The new models work fine, at least for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version