Rumors > Lenses

Canon 24 - 105 for event photography?

(1/2) > >>

gshocked:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone uses a 24 - 105 f4L for event photography?
I've been asked to take photos of a forum where there would be speakers/presenters on a reasonably lit stage. Has anyone used this lens for this purposes and would be willing to share some images?
I have a 5dmk III and working on building a range of lenses.

Thanks

Act444:
you can, but you'll have to get quite close to the stage if you want any close-ups. For me, the loss of reach when shooting concerts was noticeable when I switched from the 60D to the 5D.

Chewngum:
The 24-105L is a great walk around lens for general coverage of any event. Specifically for what you're talking about a telephoto with a wide aperture would be best suited. Something like the 135L f2, an 85 f1.2/1.4/1.8 would also go a long way too without being quite as long as the 135. The best option is probably the canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II as the IS goes a long way to correcting shake, but it overall gives you a better range for the speaker on the stage. Cheap kit options would be the 24-105L and a tripod, medium option is canon 24-105L and a canon 85 1.8, expensive option is 24-70 2.8 and a 135 f2 or 70-200 2.8 IS II.

michi:
Do you know how close you can get to the stage?  Unless you are stuck far from the stage, the 24-105 should be excellent for this type of occasion.

pwp:
Even when I got my 24-70 f/2.8II I've kept the 24-105 with events work in mind. That extra bit of reach can be a godsend. The 24-70 comes out for most other work, especially IQ critical assignments. Events don't tend to fall into this category.

However, if you're shooting speakers up on a stage, you'll need more reach. My standard events kit is the 24-105 on a 5D3 body and a 70-200 f/2.8isII on a 1D Mk4 body. The 1D4 with it's APS-H sensor offers x1.3 crop so at the long end I'm getting close to 300mm equivalent. And I'm often pulled right in to full reach at events. Especially when you're shooting a speaker up on a stage. Depending on the nature of the event, it may not be cool for you to be right up the front banging away. Also, if the stage is high, you need to get back some distance to get a useful angle. I'll often use the 300 f/2.8is on the Mk4 in situations like this.

-PW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version