September 21, 2014, 02:21:59 AM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 63823 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
^ ^

As we do with everything else !  ;)

haha

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »
A photojournalist is looking for a visual narrative in every photo. That takes time, thought, observation, timing, skill and a bit of luck.
Landscapers are looking for the best light, this takes time, thought, observation, timing...and getting one's ass out of bed at inhumane times of the day / night. 
Wildlife photographers are looking for perfect specimines doing interesting things with clear backgrounds. This takes time, thought, observation, timing and patience.
Sports....do I have to go on?
Natutrally there's a host of piccy grabbers who just pray and spray, picking out the successfull chance shots in post production....but that's not skill. Yes 12fps is helpful, but a lot of sports photographers I know still use 5 fps becuase they are good and judging the timing and don't want to fill their cards with time consuming throw aways.

My last wedding, I shot 1127 photographs. An all day shoot of 14 hours. Final edit...down to 537 photos. That's slightly under 50% keepers. A collegue of mine who is a pro football photographer has simular hit rates. A pro landscaper friend of mine has a keeper rate of well over 75%. This pray and spray behaviour supports my previous statement.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:54 AM »
A photojournalist is looking for a visual narrative in every photo. That takes time, thought, observation, timing, skill and a bit of luck.
Landscapers are looking for the best light, this takes time, thought, observation, timing...and getting one's ass out of bed at inhumane times of the day / night. 
Wildlife photographers are looking for perfect specimines doing interesting things with clear backgrounds. This takes time, thought, observation, timing and patience.
Natutrally there's a host of piccy grabbers who just pray and spray, picking out the successfull chance shots in post production....but that's not skill. Yes 12fps is helpful, but a lot of sports photographers I know still use 5 fps becuase they are good and judging the timing and don't want to fill their cards with time consuming throw aways.

My last wedding, I shot 1127 photographs. An all day shoot of 14 hours. Final edit...down to 537 photos. That's slightly under 50% keepers. A collegue of mine who is a pro football photographer has simular hit rates. A pro landscaper friend of mine has a keeper rate of well over 75%. This pray and spray behaviour supports my previous statement.
I'm still learning and my keeper rate is much lower than that. I wouldn't show even 5 percent of my shots. My reaction time is not fast enough to pick up the ideal wing position of small birds in flight so I have to rely on the camera burst mode. I like the idea of 10 (or more) fps in burst mode and lots of other bird photographers trying to keep up with those damn hummingbird wings seem to rely on the evil "spray and pray". Please tell me, how do I improve my reaction time by a factor of ten or more?
The best camera is the one in your hands

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »

You're right.  However, gear still matters.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »

Not really.

http://petapixel.com/2012/08/07/large-format-sports-photographer-seen-at-olympic-gymnastics/

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »

I'm still learning and my keeper rate is much lower than that. I wouldn't show even 5 percent of my shots. My reaction time is not fast enough to pick up the ideal wing position of small birds in flight so I have to rely on the camera burst mode. I like the idea of 10 (or more) fps in burst mode and lots of other bird photographers trying to keep up with those damn hummingbird wings seem to rely on the evil "spray and pray". Please tell me, how do I improve my reaction time by a factor of ten or more?
I shot this with my 7D at 8 fps.  My girlfriend shot the same image with her Rebel XSi at around 3.5 fps.  I did  shoot it in a small burst, as did she.

Her images did not have this capture.  She had one with the ball about 10' away from the glove and one with the player coming back down with the glove closed and facing away and the ball almost hitting the grass, yes he missed it... 8 fps made the difference.  For some reason his parents liked this image better...

That being said, I'd have even more difficulty believing that someone can sit there and just take one shot and get this image.  Can it happen, certainly.  Will it happen for you? Unlikely...  Most sports photographers and wildlife shooters are certainly using burst modes.  It's not only that I want a bird in flight with his wings in the down position, I want them in the spread eagle position, the up position or perhaps that last second "all stop" mode when the bird sees a fish in the water at 100' up in the air and gets into that crazy, almost still mode as he looks down at his  quarry. 

Unless you can see what the bird sees or read his mind, you don't get that shot often times on purpose, unless you're just following the subject waiting for that move... and then you miss lots of other great images just waiting for that one. 

I think it's ridiculous to think anyone shooting sports or wildlife photography should put their camera in single shot mode.  That's what the technology is there for, use it... why wouldn't you?  To suggest that it makes you any less of a photographer or that it's somehow evil or wrong is just plain ignorant.  Unless of course you just can't get those shots with a nice burst rate any better than you can with one shot at a time... Then I guess you can say anything about it you want, pushes the attention away from one's self and to one's crappy gear...

Reminds me of the statement that someone put in one of these forums  that we are not a fraction as capable as our cameras.  How ridiculous.  My camera can't snap one photo without me... It's totally incapable without me telling it what to do.. or turning it on... otherwise it just sits wherever I leave it, doing nothing... 12 fps would be great!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:45:06 PM by Krob78 »
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »

Not really.

http://petapixel.com/2012/08/07/large-format-sports-photographer-seen-at-olympic-gymnastics/
+1  :)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »

Not really.

What a naive thought. You don't think David uses his 4x5 to achieve a very specific look? His gear 100% matters. That he is going for a different image than the others in the press pit with their specific equipment needs seems to have passed you by.

A P&S wouldn't work for him either  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:54:21 PM by privatebydesign »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
On to your second invalid point, who cares HOW I got the shot?  Secondly, today I am getting far more shots than I did with previous models.  I'm printing way more 8x10's and printing way cleaner files.  Why is this so hard to understand?

I have not met a client who cares HOW I got the shot.  They care that I got the shot.  Do I spray and pray sometimes?  Heck yes I do, because I get more great shots and sell more photos and make more money.  I haven't heard a client go "well your shot is better but you used the spray and pray method and your competitor used 5 fps and used care and patience so we're buying his shot even though it's not quite as good."  I agree with you that you should be skilled in composition and timing, however.

Being a smart photographer is also one who uses equipment that he/she knows how to use to help him/her get the highest quality shots that they can and even the MOST shots that they can.  I bought a 1Dx because I knew it would give me cleaner files and a lot more of them.  Yes I agree I need to know how to use the gear, and have the skill to use the gear, but all else equal (composition, creativity, etc.) it is nothing but the gear that is increasing my quality at this point.  Maybe that will change, but that is the only thing in the last year.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
I love being devil's advocate.  ;D

The gear doesn't matter, its just a matter of convenience. That's how I feel about equipment.

@PBD, If all I had was my P&S, Your darn right I'm going to use it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:09:53 PM by RLPhoto »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »

The gear doesn't matter, its just a matter of convenience. That's how I feel about equipment.

Fine, but a proper devil's advocate should present a cogent argument...otherwise, you're merely being contrary and argumentative.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »

Fine, but a proper devil's advocate should present a cogent argument...otherwise, you're merely being contrary and argumentative.

Nailed it once again.............
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

Sure, Let's imagine that at said Olympics, your allowed to be anywhere at anytime but the catch is that your only had a 50mm and a 5Dc. Nothing more or less...

Who would get the better shots? The photographer standing in the convienent photo pit with $$$$$ in gear or the photog allowed anywhere at anytime? I'd put my money on the latter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
hard to believe the implications here that becuse someone sprays they are also "just praying", as if a high fps was a crutch that real togs dont' need. 

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
hard to believe the implications here that becuse someone sprays they are also "just praying", as if a high fps was a crutch that real togs dont' need.
+1 Agreed!
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »