November 27, 2014, 01:48:50 AM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 68344 times)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »
All the 7D really needed was a better sensor. Otherwise, Near-Perfect camera.

and what about the 7D's sensor are YOU thinking should be improved?..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:41 PM »
1) It does not matter who you are or who you think you are, you are not even a fraction as capable as the camera you already hold in your hand..

Thanks for the wisdom, but frankly that's a bit harsh don't you think?  No need to talk down to people.  I think most of us are trying to be better photographers.  Maybe not all of us...

I'm very happy with my new 6D; I have not one complaint with it.  It has, I think about 3500 shutter actuations in the last 5 weeks, since I bought it (most of these were done in "one shot" mode).  And I'm not exactly a person who is easy to please, or has not written critically of cameras, lenses, photographs, or photographers for that matter.

It might be the strongest link in my photo arsenal.  I might be the weakest, but without me, it just sits there.

Btw, does anyone have an opinion on the ridiculous apple tv ad campaign, where they state emphatically "more pictures are shot every day with an iPhone, than with any other camera"...?  Talk about a claim that is difficult to back up...especially since it can't possibly be true.

For example, there are far more smartphones from other makers in the world, than there are iPhones...Apple has what, 12% worldwide market share?  It's something like that...probably less.

And...the last time I saw a press conference, every photo journalist in the room is holding down 10 or 12 fps bursts for 30 minutes at a time...I much prefer the sound of those shutters to the sound of the idiotic liar at the mic!  How many photo journalists are there, and how many thousand pictures do they take a day?

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
and i always thought it´s the photographers job to make interesting characterful images....
certainly
and lens choices matter, many old ones are less clinically accurate in their image rendition, more interesting results can be obtained.  Check out the M42 mount lens fans and the fun they're having. :)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
Btw, does anyone have an opinion on the ridiculous apple tv ad campaign, where they state emphatically "more pictures are shot every day with an iPhone, than with any other camera"...?  Talk about a claim that is difficult to back up...especially since it can't possibly be true.

meh it probably is true they do need to add in the disclaimer
"please note 99% of these photos are hidiously noisey washed out selfies of people with little to no photographic skill that will propogate though the facebookosphere for eternity"
APS-H Fanboy

M.ST

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »
The 7D Mark II hit the market in march 2014 if Canon don´t change the timeline. Prototypes are out for testing. This year you see only a 70D. Canon don´t put the 70D on the market in april 2013 because the camera can´t reach the D7100.

Expect the higher megapixel camera around august 2014 (+/- 2 month). But if Nikon put the D4X this year on the market Canon gets a little bit in stress.

Lens production is a funny thing. It´s no problem to manufacture a few prototypes, but it is a little bit tricky to do the mass production.

A EF 12-24 2.8 L and a EF 14-24 2.8 L is out for testing. The EF 100-400 IS L replacement is out for testing too. But there are many problems.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:31 AM »

I would rather wait and have the best Canon can possibly offer, than get something six months from now that won't hold up over the next four years. I would LOVE to see a 90nm part from Canon...I think that would put them back on the map as a technology leader, and should really offer some amazing IQ as well.

+1

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:36 AM »
I will offer two pieces of wisdom to the 'photographers' out there in the form of advice and a bit of reality:
1) It does not matter who you are or who you think you are, you are not even a fraction as capable as the camera you already hold in your hand..

Absurd. I mean sure there is tons for everyone to learn and you can make amazing pics of a certain sort with all sorts of equipment and there is always more you can learn to get out of it but, come on all the same.

Go to a rookie on the sidelines shooting some soccer with a rebel and a 70-300 IS non-L and then swap that out for a 1DX and a 300 2.8 and believe me his take will be better. Give his rebel rig to the pro and his take will go down.

Let someone shoot a high DR natural world scene where neither multiple shots nor special filters will work. Let them shoot with a 7stops DR camera and then a 16 stop DR camera.

A camera with a nicer UI can sure be more fun to use.

A beginner with a DSLR and instant feedback will probably progress a lot faster than with a film camera.

2) Spend your money on the only piece/s of equipment that will ever improve your photography - lenses.. If you have anything left over and just have to spend it on something, take a class or attend a symposium to learn how to be a better photographer.

because AF, fps, etc. etc. never matter ever. EVER!

::)

I get your point to an extent but you are taking it from something profound to the absurd.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:36 AM »

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
Look, there are probably two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own.
2) Spend your money on the only piece/s of equipment that will ever improve your photography - lenses.. If you have anything left over and just have to spend it on something, take a class or attend a symposium to learn how to be a better photographer.

From time to time i bump into this pearl of wisdom.
Since this is CR and not Instagram's "#look what i ate today!" lets see some examples of how difficult it really is to  exceeded the capabilities of the 7d in question:

• Do you still get random OOFs when tracking even though you played with the settings and your technique is adequate?
  • Have you ever hit buffer limit?
  • Ever disappointed by WB under artificial lighting?
  • You tried to lift shadows only to find the surprise underneath?
  • You get sky noise even though you're shooting below 400?
  • You dont get useful 1600s+?
  • Did you ever tried autoiso only to find its a slopy implementation?
  • Weak AF under low light?
  • Meter goes bananas in challenging situations?

Have you ever bumped into any of the situations above? Well congrats you  are one of the "two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own" according to SiliconVoiD ::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:10:08 AM by meli »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »
Look, there are probably two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own.

Since this is CR and not Instagram's "#look what i ate today!" lets see some examples of how difficult it really is to  exceeded the capabilities of the 7d in question:

• Do you still get random OOFs when tracking even though you played with the settings and your technique is adequate?

Have you ever bumped into any of the situations above? Well congrats you  are one of the "two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own" according to SiliconVoiD ::)

Meli so totally agree with you. Elementary!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »
the 7D's great.  the 7d2 will no doubt be better.  I could be better too.  And so could lots of the photographs I see from 1DX's.  And I'm pretty sure it's not camera error.

*replace 7D with 7D2 next year, and 7D2 with with 7D3 in 2016.  If you are reading this in 2019 then for 1DX read 1DXI.

Ibid & ad infinitum.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »

Yesss I knew I was something special ::) and despite the random OOF shots, I love the beautifully sharp in-focus shot I got when the AF decided to wake up, and I am learning to rely less on the meter and pick my own exposures, and by nailing exposures don't have to lift shadows. I would wholeheartedly reccomend the 7d to anyone who wants more out of a camera, but doesn't have the money to go FF: hell, they're available on the refurb store for $1019. Anyway, the light's nice this morning, I'm going outside now.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »

+1 Couldn't have said it better. :)

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
I'll be somewhat disappointed if the 7DII isn't available in 2013, but if a 100-400 II is available in 2013, it makes the decision easier on which to buy when!

Although, I did find a use case this weekend for a second body with a shorter lens. Actually, it wasn't so much the focal length as the minimum focus distance. Had a couple of tree frogs right alongside the trail. I wanted to get closer, but couldn't!
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »
All the 7D really needed was a better sensor. Otherwise, Near-Perfect camera.

and what about the 7D's sensor are YOU thinking should be improved?..

ISO performance and 20MP.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
Although, I did find a use case this weekend for a second body with a shorter lens. Actually, it wasn't so much the focal length as the minimum focus distance. Had a couple of tree frogs right alongside the trail. I wanted to get closer, but couldn't!

Extension tubes are good for that - I don't use them for macro, but I do use a 25mm tube to shorten the MFD of tele lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »