October 25, 2014, 04:53:04 AM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 66271 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »
:'(

I am guessing that getting the new 18 micron process thang is not going as well as they would like...

18 micron?  You mean 0.18 micron = 180 nanometer?  That's a really old process and should be no problem these days to get going.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
:'(
I am guessing that getting the new 18 micron process thang is not going as well as they would like... The 7D mk II will probably be the first to be released using the new process, somewhere around 24 MP with ISO up to 102,400... probably the new 3200 ISO will be as good as the old 400 ISO...

Well, let's hope it's the 70D that's going to sport the new tech sensor first. It seems conflicting rumors overlap regarding this matter, probably because different prototypes are being tested, but I'm hoping for something really exciting, as far as sensor tech is concerned, for the camera that should become the direct competitor of the Nikon D7100.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
What in the holy hell is Canon doing?

The same thing they do every night, Pinky...try to take over the (dSLR market share) world.  So far, they're doing fine, even if the burlap chafes them so.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

paul13walnut5

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

They're already way, way late to the party and they're delaying again?

...and the new AF systems are better.

Oh, and while we're at it, VIDEO CROP MODE!!!!  And expanded version with infinite steps and smooth zooming in any resolution would be really, really helpful!

Canon started the party!

The new AF systems are on cameras costing 2.5x or 4.5x as much. 

I personally don't get the video crop mode. But Canon aren't making cameras specifically for me.

On the plus side, it should maintain my 7D's value if I decide to sell in the next few months.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
Great passion!!

It can be frustrating when a company as good as Canon won't put out, so to speak!

What in the holy hell is Canon doing?  To many stupid cinema cams and lenses and idiotic mirrorless bodies and lenses?

They're already way, way late to the party and they're delaying again?

We need some low read-noise sensors, some high-pixel-count sensors (cropping is a big deal for me), and some new bodies.  The 5DIII is a great camera, but has high read noise.  The 7D is old, has the old 18MP sensor (not bad, but not outstanding either) and the new AF systems are better.

I want a 7DII with near-zero read noise sensor and a 5DIIIn with nothing new but the low read-noise technology in the fall!

Oh, and while we're at it, VIDEO CROP MODE!!!!  And expanded version with infinite steps and smooth zooming in any resolution would be really, really helpful!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
It may be good new for current 7D users.

I suspect the 7Dii will be a very different beast at substantially higher price point.

:). or  :(. or even  >:( depending on your point of view

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Or be like me and watch your savings account grow!

Well, that's no fun - you can't take pictures with a savings account!   ;)
True! But you can take screenshots of your account statement and smile ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
I'm losing interest in Canon ... but then, on the other hand, they seem to be losing interest in photographers like me.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

;D I love the humour humor on CR

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
I'm losing interest in Canon ... but then, on the other hand, they seem to be losing interest in photographers like me.

But not me  ;)

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »

That is hitting pretty close to home for me. I pulled 15K out of T-bills ( which was crap anyway ) two years ago and put it in an account called..... Photography. I just looked at it. It is sitting at 19,200. As a birder there is nothing I want. I was just planning on calling my broker when term is up on a two year closed fund. And cash it in. Now? I am going to roll it over. Hopefully in two more years I will have my crop camera... LOL
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

crasher8

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
Oooh! New lenses!….(M series  and EF-S STM's! lol)

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
Somewhere in my mind I have the feeling Canon might not be doing the 0.18 micron process at all, but instead going directly to the next one (0.12, 0.09 or 0.065 maybe?), and that is why they have such problems in getting it to roll.

It makes sense doing something like that when you have your own factories and do not want to upgrade them too often. Going to 0.18, just to do it all over again in 2 years? I don't think so. But, leapfrogging the competition and take them by surprise, and in the same time prolonging the active time of the process platform? Yes, I think I'll vote for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
"We shall release no camera before it's time."

As much as I'd like a new toy to drool over, I'd rather wait and have significant improvements in the next generation.  My 7D is still as good today as it was when I bought it and it will still be as good next year.

Nikon seems in no hurry to replace the D300S, which looks like a dinosaur next to the 7D and despite what you read on this forum, Canon's current 18 mp sensor can still hold its own against the newer sensors. If they need until next year to perfect the next generation, that's just the way it is.

I'm a little doubtful about that "2014 will be the year for high-end DSLR cameras from Canon" statement, though. It seems too early in the cycle for a 1DX or 5DIII replacement. The only gap in the line-up might be a high megapixel monster. Can't see what else they could do.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Canon-F1

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
"We shall release no camera before it's time."

As much as I'd like a new toy to drool over, I'd rather wait and have significant improvements in the next generation.  My 7D is still as good today as it was when I bought it and it will still be as good next year.

Nikon seems in no hurry to replace the D300S, which looks like a dinosaur next to the 7D and despite what you read on this forum, Canon's current 18 mp sensor can still hold its own against the newer sensors. If they need until next year to perfect the next generation, that's just the way it is.

I'm a little doubtful about that "2014 will be the year for high-end DSLR cameras from Canon" statement, though. It seems too early in the cycle for a 1DX or 5DIII replacement. The only gap in the line-up might be a high megapixel monster. Can't see what else they could do.

high end would mean the best in the FF sector.. the high megapixel one.

and the best in APS-C sector, the 7D MK2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »