August 30, 2014, 10:43:24 PM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 62347 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
:'(

I am guessing that getting the new 18 micron process thang is not going as well as they would like... The 7D mk II will probably be the first to be released using the new process, somewhere around 24 MP with ISO up to 102,400... probably the new 3200 ISO will be as good as the old 400 ISO...

That is not how it works. They are way too close to max efficiency. It's low ISO DR there the new process might help many stops, not mid-tone gray SNR at high ISO (although it might perhaps, if they have some new fancy thing, extend high ISO DR, if not mid-tone SNR, but that is not so easy, we will see).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »
I am not disappointed. If this means that the camera is going to truly be an upgrade, and a 1D-level APS-C camera as some rumors previously indicated (one rumor indicated the camera will be full-size with integrated grip), and if it means much higher DR, finally solving the shadow problems, and a weaker or eliminated AA filter, with 5D mk III-level high ISO performance or better, it is going to be well worth the wait.

Although, if it means a 7D2 with tweaked 7D AF and an old process sensor way behind Exmor and a 3D with 40MP and 3 less stops DR than the D800 for $6000 though.... gonna really get ugly this time.  :o

I think that won't be the case, but you never know. Canon has been soooo conservative (and arrogant with we are the ultimate kings and a decade ahead of everyone talk) it takes time to turn around from that mindset.

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
Yes, but as these forums keep showing, "real" photographers don't need more low ISO DR nor no more of them mega-pickles  :P

Seriously though, none of this can be good for Canon. A so-so EOS-M launch, re-heated entry-level DSLRs, and lenses that seem to take forever to become available. I hope that there is a serious shake-up going on internally as the world outside of Canon is not standing still.

More positively, I think that it makes sense for Canon to concentrate on higher performance lenses than for new high-end bodies just now. As the D800 is showing, you can add all the pixels you want, but they aren't much use unless you have the lenses to make use of them.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
come on people.... haven't you figured it out yet? The 7D2 will have a mode dial that goes all the way around!
The best camera is the one in your hands

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
I'm glad I took the plunge and went FF with the 6D instead of waiting to see if I wanted the 70D or new 7D instead. I'm having a lot of fun playing with and taking pics with my 6D instead of more waiting!

me too. Just ordered a 6d.should be here Wednesday

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
Although, if it means a 7D2 with tweaked 7D AF and an old process sensor way behind Exmor and a 3D with 40MP and 3 less stops DR than the D800 for $6000 though.... gonna really get ugly this time.  :o

Ugly in here, probably. Out in the real world, though, as usual Canon will sell them like hotcakes...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Efka76

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
Canon decided to milk 7D for additional year. 7D is really good camera and I am satisfied with its performance but is seems really odd to release update only after 5 years. I think that Canon's management and marketing department were sitting, scratching their bold heads and were thinking how to cripple 1Dx and 5D MarkIII, put old sensor and call it 7D MrkII :)

If you put the same AF system as in 5DIII and many other features, it might affect 5DIII sales. Accodingly in my humble opinion it was decided to fully milk 5DIII and 7D and only next year release update. Also, i really do not expect from Canon some very substantial developments in that updated 7DII version as current trend shows that Nikon, Sony are announcing various new developments first. Canon is still worldwide leader however they are really sleeping and milking the same cow, which could be dead quite soon.
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »

rockmon!

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »
Newcomer here... former 25 year Nikonite.   Do all followers feel that this source is a legit one?  I've been following the whole 7DMKII ambiguity since September of 2012.   I have now been without a body since January anticipating the arrival...

Is the general belief that there will be no 7DMKII until 2014 and should I just get off the pot and get a 7D until such time?

Advice?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:11:39 PM by rockmon! »
glass = 70-200 F2.8L II, 24-105 F4L, 2x III extender

kimvette

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Ugly in here, probably. Out in the real world, though, as usual Canon will sell them like hotcakes...

Yup, haters gonna hate and declare the fall of Canon, while Canon simultaneously posts press releases indicating record sales and inability to keep up with demand for months after the replacement comes out.

If Canon were to introduce a 50 MP crop camera that goes to ISO 2,400,000 cleanly, 24 stop dynamic range, integrated intervalometer, uncompressed HDMI output, 24 fps still shooting, and a choice of CFast and SDXC storage, and AF that works down to f/11 and never, ever misses a shot and even knows telepathically what the shooter is aiming for and not focus on the closest high contrast object in full auto green box mode, and include two batteries and two 120GB storage cards, all at the price of today's 60D, AND include an L-series lens as part of the kit, haters would still find something to whine about.

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
Newcomer here... former 25 year Nikonite.   Do all followers feel that this source is a legit one?  I've been following the whole 7DMKII ambiguity since September of 2012.   I have now been without a body since January anticipating the arrival...

Is the general belief that there will be no 7DMKII until 2014 and should I just get off the pot and get a 7D until such time?

Advice?

Get a 7D now, maybe a refurbished one from Canon to save a little cash.  Sell it when the 7D Mark II comes out.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
The same thing they do every night, Pinky...try to take over the (dSLR market share) world.

Laughed out loud at the Animaniacs reference. And to have a member nicknamed "Neuro" quoting a character named "the Brain"? Most excellent.

What in the holy hell is Canon doing?  To many stupid cinema cams and lenses and idiotic mirrorless bodies and lenses?

They're already way, way late to the party and they're delaying again?

From what I gather, as I piece all the rumors together, this is not a case of arrogance or milking or any of the other things impatient people are reading between the lines. My guess (and I could be just as wrong as anyone else), is that mass production of the new sensor technology Canon was going to release in new bodies this year has encountered unexpected and not easily resolved difficulties. The incremental updates are a necessity to bring something to market during a time when they had intended to bring the 70D and 7DII (and perhaps an M with the new sensor).

If your product roadmap was suddenly hit with unexpected and lengthy delays, what would you do?

• Stick to the roadmap and endure the delay with nothing new to bring to market (so as not to offend those looking for a significant upgrade), or
  • Produce some incremental updates to keep your product lineup somewhat fresh (so as to satisfy new DSLR customers who will likely be upgrading at some point when the roadmap is back on track).

I would choose the latter, and I suspect that is what Canon is doing, too. For what it's worth...

As someone who was hoping for a 70D with new sensor tech this year, I am a bit disappointed by this rumor. If true, it would seem that the 70D will be getting the sensor of the T5i/SL1, rather than the new tech that is holding up the 7DII. Disappointed or not, I expect Canon is doing its best to get the 7DII and new tech to market as fast as possible.

In the meantime, I took a few hurried snaps of my kiddoes with my trusty G12 the other day that turned out beautifully and will be stored in the "priceless" folder on my hard drive (and backup drives!).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

Don't be so sure that a 7D2 with a minor tweak to the AF and a sensor similar to the current one would sell like hotcakes.  At some point it will catch up to a company.

(And it would be nothing to cheer about, as a user, if half-baked update sold like hot cakes either. Unless you on the board and take the money and run.)

And back in say 2004-2006 when students asked what system to get it was Canon, Canon, Canon. Everyone at papers had Canon. Sidelines were Canon, Canon. If you see people out and about it was Canon. Now when you hear people getting advice it is at least as often look into Nikon and you see a lot of Nikons at games, people walking around with them, etc.

And if you look at the video forums, it's pretty clear that their DSLR stuff isn't making the splash or sales that the 5D2 did. The cinema guys tend to not have even a hint of fanboy in them much and they don't wait for anything they just move on and the talk there generally looks to me fiercer than in the stills forums actually.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:45:21 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
... probably the new 3200 ISO will be as good as the old 400 ISO...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  More like ISO 800 similar to the 7D's ISO 400...if that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
From what I gather, as I piece all the rumors together, this is not a case of arrogance or milking or any of the other things impatient people are reading between the lines. My guess (and I could be just as wrong as anyone else), is that mass production of the new sensor technology Canon was going to release in new bodies this year has encountered unexpected and not easily resolved difficulties. The incremental updates are a necessity to bring something to market during a time when they had intended to bring the 70D and 7DII (and perhaps an M with the new sensor).

The milking and arrogance came when they held off trying to upgrade things for so long. Of course it takes time and at this point it may not be milking or anything, it does take a lot of time to get it going.

If your product roadmap was suddenly hit with unexpected and lengthy delays, what would you do?

Have started it going earlier.

At this point in time I'd delay though, which is what they seem to be doing, rather than dumping out whatever.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
It's no fuss to me, I prolly wouldn't buy one any how. I far prefer full frame.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »