August 22, 2014, 04:39:17 AM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 62039 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
Somewhere in my mind I have the feeling Canon might not be doing the 0.18 micron process at all, but instead going directly to the next one (0.12, 0.09 or 0.065 maybe?), and that is why they have such problems in getting it to roll.

It makes sense doing something like that when you have your own factories and do not want to upgrade them too often. Going to 0.18, just to do it all over again in 2 years? I don't think so. But, leapfrogging the competition and take them by surprise, and in the same time prolonging the active time of the process platform? Yes, I think I'll vote for that.

I would rather wait and have the best Canon can possibly offer, than get something six months from now that won't hold up over the next four years. I would LOVE to see a 90nm part from Canon...I think that would put them back on the map as a technology leader, and should really offer some amazing IQ as well.

With this news, I've finalized my decision to buy a 5D III this year. If the 7D II won't be out until next year, no point in waiting for it. I intend to get both bodies eventually, and since the 5D III is here and stable, sounds like the best option! :) By the end of the year, I hope to be lugging around an EF 600 f/4 L IS II and 5D III with a 2x teleconverter!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2013, 04:57:13 PM »
I have a feeling that the 7DIII is even better than the 7DII. I'm thinking about selling all of my gear now so it doesn't lose any more value and then just wait till 2019. It's gonna be AMAZING!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
And back in say 2004-2006 when students asked what system to get it was Canon, Canon, Canon. Everyone at papers had Canon. Sidelines were Canon, Canon. If you see people out and about it was Canon. Now when you hear people getting advice it is at least as often look into Nikon and you see a lot of Nikons at games, people walking around with them, etc.

And back in say 2004-2006 1973-78 when students asked what system to get it was Canon, Canon, Canon. Pentax, Pentax, Pentax. Everyone at papers had Canon Nikon. Sidelines were Canon, Canon. Nikon, Nikon. If you see people out and about it was Canon Pentax. Now when you hear people getting advice it is at least as often look into Nikon Canon and you see a lot of Nikons Canons at games, people walking around with them, etc.

Canon clawed their way to the top over about 30-40 years. They weren't always the leader they are today. They did so by running a smart business. Sales figures would indicate they still know what they are doing. Do people buy other brands? Of course they do. It's not in our best interests for any company to have a monopoly share of the market. Every time Nikon introduces a new product, I'm very happy because it means Canon must compete.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
I bought my 5D3 a couple months ago with a bit of fear that I'd regret it if the 7D2 became available this summer with a significant boost in high ISO IQ.  It didn't take long to realize that the 5D3 can do a lot more than the 7D, except in the burst mode department.  (But, the 5D3 isn't shabby at burst.)

For the past year, the 7D was my primary camera.  I couldn't imagine doing without the extra reach.  Now all that has changed.  The high ISO and color depth of the 5D3 has relegated my 7D to backup status.

I really hope Canon does introduce a new king of the crop body cameras.  But, I'll be watching for refurb and rebate price deals to replace my 7D with another 5D3 body.

Funny.  For about a year, I was glued to CR for new updates on the 7D2.  I'm not so glued anymore.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
I have a feeling that the 7DIII is even better than the 7DII. I'm thinking about selling all of my gear now so it doesn't lose any more value and then just wait till 2019. It's gonna be AMAZING!

:-D  I recently finally sold my "old" XXD body, got a lot more than I thought I would.  The Canon name, does mean a lot...as does one's reputation as a seller, and their attention to upkeep. 

Given the new "news" or rumor (no 7D2 until 2014), I would think current 7D's on the used market, just got a new lease on life.  Maybe used prices will start to go up?

For my own needs/wants, I never want another 1.6x crop camera again.  Something between 1x and 1.6x would be interesting...but only at or close to the 1 series body level.  Let's face it, if that ever happens, it just might be a 1DX replacement.  I had thought a 1DX "ii" would be first announced around mid or late 2015, but now I'm thinking 2016.  Probably too early to speculate!

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
Yup.  I mentioned this long ago.  They did lots of body releases in 2012.  Can't expect the same in 2013.  And they want to put some new tech. in as well.  2014 will be a great year for Canon bodies!
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
... probably the new 3200 ISO will be as good as the old 400 ISO...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  More like ISO 800 similar to the 7D's ISO 400...if that.

Personally i hope aprilforever is right since if THAT is what comes out of a crop you know how good the FF will be :D however i'm more inclined to agree with your take Carl
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:35:26 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
Newcomer here... former 25 year Nikonite.   Do all followers feel that this source is a legit one?  I've been following the whole 7DMKII ambiguity since September of 2012.   I have now been without a body since January anticipating the arrival...

Is the general belief that there will be no 7DMKII until 2014 and should I just get off the pot and get a 7D until such time?

Advice?

Since January? Wow you really are into photography arent you? ::)

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »
Kind of disappointing that CR has nothing better to report than yet another camera no one really needs not coming out anytime soon to sit on the shelves collecting dust because as soon as it is announced everyone is instantly waiting for the next model.

Look, there are probably two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own. Everyone else just wants to be part of a social discussion and complain about what each new model should have had, needs to have, doesn't have, etc etc.. The reality is that consumers themselves are responsible for what new models do not have because the manufacturers feel they have to instantly gratify the squeaky wheels in order to be successful. If people would simply use what they have until it stops working then the manufacturers would only release a new body in each tier maybe every three/four years. Then when they did it would actually be the latest and greatest and would hold you for the rest of its life, certainly until technology advances to the point a new model is even warranted. (Megapixels are not technology in a photographic context, sorry.)

I will offer two pieces of wisdom to the 'photographers' out there in the form of advice and a bit of reality:
1) It does not matter who you are or who you think you are, you are not even a fraction as capable as the camera you already hold in your hand..
2) Spend your money on the only piece/s of equipment that will ever improve your photography - lenses.. If you have anything left over and just have to spend it on something, take a class or attend a symposium to learn how to be a better photographer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:07:28 PM by SiliconVoid »
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
I bought my 5D3 a couple months ago with a bit of fear that I'd regret it if the 7D2 became available this summer with a significant boost in high ISO IQ.  It didn't take long to realize that the 5D3 can do a lot more than the 7D, except in the burst mode department.  (But, the 5D3 isn't shabby at burst.)

For the past year, the 7D was my primary camera.  I couldn't imagine doing without the extra reach.  Now all that has changed.  The high ISO and color depth of the 5D3 has relegated my 7D to backup status.

I really hope Canon does introduce a new king of the crop body cameras.  But, I'll be watching for refurb and rebate price deals to replace my 7D with another 5D3 body.

Funny.  For about a year, I was glued to CR for new updates on the 7D2.  I'm not so glued anymore.
Wow! I have the same exact story except that it happened a year earlier. Now I am just curious to know what the 7D2 will be like. I would like it to be my second body. But I will wait another three years (or so) for that. No hurry. I'll wait for the prices to drop. See I am already dreaming about 2016-2017... :)

yogi

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
The most important factor is how well will it do in shadows and bbq grills, expecially topless grills. Will the dr be acceptable? ;D ::)

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
Kind of disappointing that CR has nothing better to report than yet another camera no one really needs not coming out anytime soon to sit on the shelves collecting dust because as soon as it is announced everyone is instantly waiting for the next model.

Look, there are probably two (maybe three) people on the planet who have actually exceeded the capabilities of the equipment they already own. Everyone else just wants to be part of a social discussion and complain about what each new model should have had, needs to have, doesn't have, etc etc.. The reality is that consumers themselves are responsible for what new models do not have because the manufacturers feel they have to instantly gratify the squeaky wheels in order to be successful. If people would simply use what they have until it stops working then the manufacturers would only release a new body in each tier maybe every three/four years. Then when they did it would actually be the latest and greatest and would hold you for the rest of its life, certainly until technology advances to the point a new model is even warranted. (Megapixels are not technology in a photographic context, sorry.)

I will offer two pieces of wisdom to the 'photographers' out there in the form of advice and a bit of reality:
1) It does not matter who you are or who you think you are, you are not even a fraction as capable as the camera you already hold in your hand..
2) Spend your money on the only piece/s of equipment that will ever improve your photography - lenses.. If you have anything left over and just have to spend it on something, take a class or attend a symposium to learn how to be a better photographer.

OH MY GOSH!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I'M ALREADY A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER BECAUSE OF YOU!!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »

OH MY GOSH!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I'M ALREADY A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER BECAUSE OF YOU!!

I'm really laughing as I write this ON AN IPOD!!!! It really hurts to be told that I am nowhere near as capable as the camera in my hand when that camera is ON AN IPOD..... and not even the latest generation!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »
We must have patience with the newbies!!!  In one sense he is right.  If you are starting out, you need to focus on skills.  For those of us that have been at this for 30 plus years, we focus a LOT of attention on tools in these forums and less on skills.  It's the tools that we rely on to earn our living.  As one tool wears out we look for a new tool to take it's place that hopefully can improve on areas the old tool was lacking.  Newbies wont understand that until they have been at this for as long as we have.

We stretch every technical capability we can out of current tech and then stretch it even more with hours of post processing to get rid of or work around the deficiencies in the current tech.  We know/hope that the next model will improve our livelihood, reduce the hours spent at the computer, and allow us to push the envelope once again.

Newbies are not there yet.  They dont understand concepts of expose to the right, expose to the left, unsharp masking, and digital dynamic range.  We hope that with the next model all of these will be included so we dont have to waste our time dealing with it.

Newbies?  They are ones that we have to deal with as we were all once in their shoes.  ;)

...Now where's that dang 7D Mark II !!!

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
convinced you to AFMA that new lens then? ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »