September 02, 2014, 06:28:24 PM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]  (Read 62510 times)

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

Before complaining about another year with the same toy, it could be worthwhile considering "What do I need in a camera that the 7D doesn't offer?" If it turns out that you want 1DX performance at an APS-C price... Well sorry mate, you're SOL ... maybe you can come back in a decade.

I've considered your question a lot over the years I've owned my 7D and the simple answer is "better ISO performance". The 7D can't touch the SONY sensors for ISO performance so the only reason I might have to wait a decade is because Canon doesn't want to work that problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
History lesson - Olympus produced four significant SLR's between 1970 and the end of production in 2002. Sure, a couple of cosmetic upgrades appeared and new firmware was developed to expand the compatibility with newer components, but there were essentially four pro-models over 32 years.

Well, yeah - but when a brand new 'sensor' was developed by Fuji or Kodak with higher ISO or better color fidelity, you didn't need to buy a new camera, you just popped in a new roll.  ::)

+1
To carry the analogy further, the 7D is like being limited to buying ISO 400 film while there are boxes of 800 and 1600 sitting behind the counter.

Silverman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
I used to shoot a lot wildlife with the 7D and the 500 IS and since last year also with the 600 IS II - mainly EU / Germany. I used the 1.4x almost always to get more reach. I never was really impressed especially of the high ISO performance of the 7D...
Since I saw the first rumors about the 7D II I was looking forward to the release of this new body - and was hoping for improved performance. Meanwhile I saved to buy it directly after release but now I have to admit that I just bought a 5D III and I am delighted!
I use it with the 1.4x on the 100-400 and with the 1.4x and 2x (with the new firmware) on the 600 IS II - all setups make me very happy ;) I do not miss the "more" in fps since I have a much higher keeper rate right now.
By 2014 the price of the 5D III may have come down more - making the 7D II obsolete for myself.
Personally I am much more interested in the 100-400 II release date now...
1DX, 5D III, 24-70 L 2.8 II, 70-200 L 2.8 IS II , 200-400 L 4 IS EXT 1.4x, 100 L 2.8 IS, 600 L 4 IS II, Extender 1.4x III, Extender 2x III, Speedlite 600EX RT

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
but now I have to admit that I just bought a 5D III and I am delighted!
I use it with the 1.4x on the 100-400 and with the 1.4x and 2x (with the new firmware) on the 600 IS II - all setups make me very happy ;) I do not miss the "more" in fps since I have a much higher keeper rate right now.
By 2014 the price of the 5D III may have come down more - making the 7D II obsolete for myself.
Personally I am much more interested in the 100-400 II release date now...

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've been wanting another body for years and have been waiting for the 7D II.
Do you think the 1.4x affects the resolution of the 600 II much? I'd be using my old 500mm plus the 1.4 on the 5D III to get close to the same reach.

crasher8

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Time to start the 7D2 piggy bank fund.

Silverman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
This is a difficult question and I think it depends on the copy of the lens and the converter version. Also good lens / body AF adjustment is important.

Personally I think the "new" 500 IS II and 600 IS II are a only "little" better IQ wise (sharper / contrast) to the "old" 500 IS and 600 IS. AF performance is not so much a difference and IS is of course improved. If you are happy with the old lens I do not know if the upgrade from the old IS to the IS II makes sense...

When adding a 1.4x TK III, the new IS II lenses are superior to the older IS lenses with added 1.4 TK. Also AF works faster.
Adding a 2x TK III to the new IS II lenses and tracking subjects only is possilbe with the 5D III and 1DX. For expample I can still track birds in flight easly with the 600 IS II and TK 2x III - even with not optimal light and a good keeper rate.
When you cannot get close enought to the subject - then I think the IS II lenses with the 2x IIIer Converters make sense. I personally find the IQ of the 600 IS II with the 2x III Converter far better than the 7D with the 500 IS and 1.4 III Converter. It is hard to believe but I actually think of selling my 7D now - but maybe hold it just for the CPS Membership ;)

A friend of mine uses the 500 IS with 1.4x II Converter and also switched from 7D to 5D III. Since that day his 7D is only beeing used as a backup. Now he also starts to use the 2x III Converter with the 5D III after the firmware update and is very happy.

Lets face the reality:
7D is an outstanding camera but IQ struggles with higher ISO.
500 IS lens is one of the best wildlife lenses available. You still get very good image quality with 1.4x and decent with 2x.
5D III is also an outstanding camera and if you do not live from wildlife photography there is no need for "more".
The new 500 and 600 IS II lenses are maybe the "best" available wildlife lenses available. Adding 1.4x almost shows no difference than without and adding 2x the image quality is still superb.
The 7D II is not beeing released soon and who knows which features it will provide. I personally would actually go ALWAYS with the 5D III which gives you also everything you need beside wildlife.

1DX, 5D III, 24-70 L 2.8 II, 70-200 L 2.8 IS II , 200-400 L 4 IS EXT 1.4x, 100 L 2.8 IS, 600 L 4 IS II, Extender 1.4x III, Extender 2x III, Speedlite 600EX RT

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »

7D is an outstanding camera but IQ struggles with higher ISO.
500 IS lens is one of the best wildlife lenses available. You still get very good image quality with 1.4x and decent with 2x.
5D III is also an outstanding camera and if you do not live from wildlife photography there is no need for "more".
The new 500 and 600 IS II lenses are maybe the "best" available wildlife lenses available. Adding 1.4x almost shows no difference than without and adding 2x the image quality is still superb.
The 7D II is not beeing released soon and who knows which features it will provide. I personally would actually go ALWAYS with the 5D III which gives you also everything you need beside wildlife.

thanks much
Bill

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »
Give a cheap violin to a violin master and they will still make beautiful sounds with it. Give a Stradivarious to a begginer and the reverse will happen. It's not the camera but the photographer's skill and talent...

Give the cheap violin to the beginner and the output won't get worse. Give the Stradivarius to the master and the sounds will get significantly more beautiful.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that while skill is the most important factor, the tools do matter.

I get so sick and tired of this "it's all the photographer and not any of the equipment" garbage too.  There's a reason that every SI shooter on NFL sidelines have a 1Dx and 400 f/2.8L II IS lens.  Because it matters.

There's also a reason I can do a heck of a lot more clean 8x10 printing NOW versus IN THE PAST for indoor sports.  It's because of my 1Dx and only because of my 1Dx.  The prints I'm doing now I just didn't do in the past because sensor was limiting with noise/IQ loss.

Is there something in my skill and technique that I was doing wrong before I bought my new camera that prevented me from doing so?  Sure, sports photography has been going on for a long time, it's just now with better equipment, it's better.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
Give a cheap violin to a violin master and they will still make beautiful sounds with it. Give a Stradivarious to a begginer and the reverse will happen. It's not the camera but the photographer's skill and talent...

Give the cheap violin to the beginner and the output won't get worse. Give the Stradivarius to the master and the sounds will get significantly more beautiful.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that while skill is the most important factor, the tools do matter.

I get so sick and tired of this "it's all the photographer and not any of the equipment" garbage too.  There's a reason that every SI shooter on NFL sidelines have a 1Dx and 400 f/2.8L II IS lens.  Because it matters.

There's also a reason I can do a heck of a lot more clean 8x10 printing NOW versus IN THE PAST for indoor sports.  It's because of my 1Dx and only because of my 1Dx.  The prints I'm doing now I just didn't do in the past because sensor was limiting with noise/IQ loss.

Is there something in my skill and technique that I was doing wrong before I bought my new camera that prevented me from doing so? Sure, sports photography has been going on for a long time, it's just now with better equipment, it's better.

Remember in the days before AF a sports shot of fast action, isolated with tiny depth of field was a rare and valuable picture. I can well remember one of a footballer heading a ball, picked out in razor sharp focus with the rest of the field a subtle blur. It was in all the papers and became an iconic shot.

Now those pictures are common place - in fact, expected, and that difference of course is due to the equipment.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
Well, 0.18 nm or less from a sensor tech POV and the now rumored Digic VI would make a good pair in 2014. Sounds promising to everything FF as well...
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
Well, yeah - but when a brand new 'sensor' was developed by Fuji or Kodak with higher ISO or better color fidelity, you didn't need to buy a new camera, you just popped in a new roll.  ::)
Haha... but seriously - is that really fair? Who has compared the image quality of a 7D with (say) 200ASA film. What about 1600ASA? What about 6400ASA? When I could afford it, I used hypered TP for astrophotography (iirc 2415). I WISH it could have looked look like a 7D at 200ISO.

Then there's this widespread belief that Sony is making better sensors. It may be true but it's then difficult to explain why most DSLR astrophotographers use Canon cameras.

I think the real issue is that Sony & Nikon have decent in-camera noise reduction. If you think about it, Canon cameras produce obvious pattern noise. There's a pattern present which means the noise is not entirely random. Getting rid of pattern noise is easy - measure it during manufacture, correct for sensor temperature, subtract it from the image and you're done.

My take is then that Canon needs get it's sensor production sorted out, not it's sensor technology.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
Hmm... All this talk of film equating to camera sensors makes me wish we had exchangeable camera backs (in which case you could get away with using the same body for long periods of time again).

Regardless of whether that ever happens, we're in a technology bubble right now. Things are advancing at an incredible pace at the moment but it can't last forever. There will come a day when you will buy a camera expecting it to be top of the line for a long time.
Someday your camera (and maybe even computer) will have the same pricing structure as standard kitchen appliances. Bigger vs. smaller, more features vs. less, better build vs. cheaper materials. All performing the same within their class, year after year.

In the meantime, I have full confidence that ten years from now the 1DX will be worth a tenth of it's current retail value.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:13:36 PM by 9VIII »
-100% RAW-

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
^
I wouldn't be so confident with that last paragraph. Eight years on, here in the UK, the 1Ds mkii is still selling for 20% of it's original headline RRP, and about 30% of what it quickly gravitated to after the initial launch.

As you suggest, if technological advancements do slow, a ten year old 1Dx may be worth an even higher percentage of it's original purchase cost.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »

Is there something in my skill and technique that I was doing wrong before I bought my new camera that prevented me from doing so?  Sure, sports photography has been going on for a long time, it's just now with better equipment, it's better.

do they, I have seen a lot of D4 and 200-400/4, nothing canon can show up yet
one reason that many shooters has gone to Nikon is 200-400/4 at ishochey, handbill  and soccer, soccer a  sport around the world who are many times  bigger than the american fotball where  some people running around in helmets and looking generally confused. The sport world is bigger than the U.S. and american football, its called soccer

Once again, and I mean ONCE AGAIN, you completely missed the point.  Who cares if it's Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, who cares?  You missed the bus.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
The sport world is bigger than the U.S. and american football, its called soccer
Ahem. Nowhere else than in the U.S. it is called soccer. The name of the game is "football". Pretty logical, as you play it with your feet... :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »