July 24, 2014, 09:01:33 AM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 51261 times)

Hill Benson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »
I dread that this is the effect of Adobe having a monopoly in the market. I think you should be able to leap-frog releases if your willing to go without or simply don't need the latest version for a while. I believe there should be "online subscription" AND "bought off the shelf you own it for life" versions too.  Adobe have targeted the people who don't upgrade at every single possible release. So disappointing that the bottom line is simple greed.
Box Brownie 2AL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

woollybear

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
I'm thinking Adobe hired that ex-ceo from Netflix ;)

More like JC Penney!

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
LR 5 is in beta. Does this mean no release except by subscription?  I've got CS6, and I'm quite happy with DxO and Aperture, but maybe it's worth buying LR while I can, just in case...   ???

According to "The Queen" of Lightroom, it appears we are OK.  Lightroom will exist in the cloud model but not exclusively.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2013/05/06/adobe-subscription-only-but-not-lightroom/

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
what a bunch of ***??!!! <insert any desired expletive

oh well looks like i wont be changing from CS6 in a hurry
I absolutely loathe subscription software

but what real alternatives are there? seriously when push comes to shove the competition
just are not as good as adobe :( its pretty bad for to punish loyal customers like this
I hope it backfires and hurts them.
APS-H Fanboy

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

but what real alternatives are there? seriously when push comes to shove the competition
just are not as good as adobe :( its pretty bad for to punish loyal customers like this

I have assumed with a name like "wicked wombat" you may be an Aussie, well, for the privilege of being in that far flung Country of Australia, you get to be charged 40% more than your American Cousins, Aussie current cost of CC is around $1200 bucks US equivalent. Adobe & Apple (among others), have a similar Model of charging by Country, AUD is up, so they take advantage of that, plus the fact that they simply can charge more and people continue to Pay.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
LR 5 is in beta. Does this mean no release except by subscription?  I've got CS6, and I'm quite happy with DxO and Aperture, but maybe it's worth buying LR while I can, just in case...   ???

According to "The Queen" of Lightroom, it appears we are OK.  Lightroom will exist in the cloud model but not exclusively.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2013/05/06/adobe-subscription-only-but-not-lightroom/

Thanks!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
on the current interview with Tom Hogerty via Engadget with Scott Kelby, where he mentions LR running on a tablet being in the works, I thought they mentioned a rental cost of 20 bucks per month for Photoshop - not sure if that included LR or not.

Given that an average Photoshop upgrade costs around 200 bucks / pounds, and comes out about every 18-24 months, then if they included LR into those costs, 20 dollars a month would not be completely out of sync, plus you get more regular updates on the programs.

Might not be soo bad if they can pitch the right pricing. Well, not too bad for anyone in North America :)
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »

I have assumed with a name like "wicked wombat" you may be an Aussie, well, for the privilege of being in that far flung Country of Australia, you get to be charged 40% more than your American Cousins, Aussie current cost of CC is around $1200 bucks US equivalent. Adobe & Apple (among others), have a similar Model of charging by Country, AUD is up, so they take advantage of that, plus the fact that they simply can charge more and people continue to Pay.
While I don't have too much of an issue with downloading the software, rather than shrink wrap (its the same code), I do have an issue when companies charge me more for being in the land of Oz. A few months ago, I went to buy Lightroom. From the Adobe "Australian" site, it was around $220. At B&H, the shrink wrap (and hence the license key) was around $125. So, I bought the shrink wrapped version, along with a few other goodies from B&H :)
Upgrading my CS5.5 will be a different saga, as I can only get the upgrade from the Australian site, which will sting me around double (or a considerable mark up) of that from the US. At the end of the day, it's the same code.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
I currently have a Creative Cloud subscription.  I got in way back at the $30/month price, which I am quite happy with.  I wouldn't purchase the full product or suite otherwise - I can't justify the cost.  I had LR3 as stand alone software, but for the most part, the whole idea of shelling out $2,500 for the full suite or $900 for an application like Photoshop is too much for me.  $50 is a bit high, but to get literally every Adobe application Adobe makes, it is a better value than the 2-to-3 release upgrade issue that most folks do.

It calls home once a month to verify the subscription was renewed, but other than that, it acts just like boxed software.  There are some creative cloud only plugins currently, and I hope they continue to add features to it.  The license is for 2 computers, 1 user - so if I have a Mac and a PC, I'm covered with current releases on both machines.

To end 'boxed' software is just the evolution of the 'app store' model.  It would be nice to have an 'Essentials Cloud' of the express products plus Lightroom, but this as a whole is a good step forward.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
how many PS freaks are NOT gonna want to send Adobe their $ when they see how easy some of the new tricks are to use?..

a few good video examples here:

http://photorumors.com/2013/05/06/adobe-announces-photoshop-cc-available-only-through-monthly-subscription/#more-42668

I don't think I'd mind "renting" the SW if it was on a per-day basis.  I'd readily give them $2 to almost $10 per day for only those days I'm using it.  Heck, $1/hour then would be even better for me!
There are times I may go for months w-o using PS now, or even LR.  Nothing I dislike more than paying for what I'm not using.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
I use Camera Raw to do all my processing, and I noticed that they stopped updating the profiles in CS5 (which I have at work), but they add(ed) them to CS6 (which I have at home).

So I guess eventually no new lens profiles for people that don't "upgrade" to CC.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
Well, the usual human resistance to change is in full force today... photographers all throughout the Interwebs are losing their collective cool over this.  The sky is falling the sky is falling.

People please!  You never owned software, what you always bought was a license with only a time limited assurance of support, bug fixes, etc.  Then you upgrade to the next version at semi-regular intervals and so it goes on for eternity.

I get people's uncertainty and concern about costs.  For photographers who use nothing but PS and LR, the $49 per months is definitely higher than the 18-24 month upgrades.  If you didn't upgrade every release then sure, it's a fair bit more.  But you're getting more... new features, some cloud storage, access to other Adobe apps that maybe you'd like to use occasionally, and you get to install on two computers.  Not everyone has a desktop and a laptop so that's not a benefit to everyone but I think it may be for many/most photographers?

For people still using CS4 who are complaining, don't worry and keep using CS4.  Seriously, if you haven't upgraded yet you weren't going to anytime soon.  And, they clearly said they're going to keep selling CS6 as a stand-alone for the foreseeable future so you'll still be ok.

Many news reports state that Adobe claims they're going to reduce the price of single aps to $10/month but I can't find it only any official source.  If true, that's cheaper than upgrading PS once ever two years.

I dont' know guys and gals.  Doesn't seem so bad to me but I'm one who's long accepted that I don't really own anything anyway and have no issue that songs I buy digitally can't be left to my kids when I die.  Poor Bruce Willis and his extensive music collection will just have to suck it up.

If, as some are proclaiming, this is a big mistake for Adobe and it opens the competitive door to other photo applications then Adobe will tweak their pricing a bit.  Time will tell.  And life will go on.

Eventually, there will be features that even you die hard CS4 users are going to want and you'll be paying that monthly like a trained monkey... you pay your cable and phone bill every month right?  What bigger rip is there than that?  $12/day for 3 grande lattes?  $2/bottle for "natural spring water"?

Onward and upward dudes!  To the cloud!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Forgetting the cost for a moment, how would Lightroom service even work? Half the time I use it, I am on my laptop away from the grid.  Are we going to have to load our photos upstream to the cloud in order to work on them?  That doesn't seem practical to me when you are dealing with a couple hundred images in LR.

I don't believe they're talking about cloud-based apps. I think you download and install normally, but activation and ongoing use requires an active subscription. So if you decide to stop paying, you can no longer open your files in the app. That's my big concern with this model. I also use a lot of site-licensed software at work and it can be a problem running such software when you're away from an Internet connection when the software decides to "phone home", depending on implementation. That could be an issue for people like you taking LR to remote locations on a laptop.

Lots of questions, though, particularly because they're planning to charge $10/mo for a single app and $50/mo for the full boat ($30/mo for the first year for upgraders). That's like buying a new copy of LR every 1-1.5 years, which I don't always do, and $360-600/yr is a LOT more than I pay now for all my Adobe software (PSE, Dreamweaver, etc).

Guess I'll be milking LR 4/PSE 10 for a long while, and hoping they still provide free Adobe Raw and/or DNG converters if I ever need a new camera.

Brave new world.

This is correct, I currently use Adobe Cloud for current release of all Adobe products, you download & install what you need as you need it, the product is then on your Hard Drive just like the DVD you purchased, you again download any updates as part of the subscription model you paid for. Each year you pay the subscription.

It works & works well, I'm completely Happy, but there's a caveat, the current system of Adobe Cloud is designed for Companies that require the use of more than 1 Licensed user, it's not really designed for the individual user, hence the +USD$800 price Tag.

In Asia in particular the most cloned software is Adobe, you can buy a full copy of CS6 Suite of the side of the road in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam etc, for $10 Bucks, so you can see why companies like Adobe are heading towards this Cloud Based Subscription Model, it's inevitable gentlemen, and Ladies.

I dont know for sure, but I would envisage Adobe creating a single user service of the Cloud at some point in the next 12 months, I would think prior to CS7, and I cant se the pricing not being more flexible for the single user, wouldn't make sense to try to charge a single user 800 bucks a year, as has been stated, Adobe will loose a huge amount of Business, and Adobe before all else, are about business & profits while providing a service.

What are you talking about?

The Creative Cloud is currently single user mode as well. 

You want to subscribe to the CC, it is $30 / mo first year, and then $50 a mo for the 2nd year.  If you want to just do 1 month, it is $75.  you also can do PS alone, which I think is like $15 a mo.

Couple of things.  $30/mo is for 1st year only.  Months 13+ is AT LEAST $49... and nothing to say year 3 or 4 they do not raise the price.

I GUARANTEE you, that as they add features or "upgrades" you can expect $75 - $100/ month for Creative Cloud.

Not sure on LightRoom.  From the release I saw from Adobe, it looked like EVERY UPGRADE was going to Cloud only as of June 17.  So maybe LR5 comes out before then.  Now LR is currently an "Also Included" in the Creative Cloud, and looks like main software is Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator, Premiere, DreamWeaver, AfterEffects and Muse, so LR might still be stand alone, but still not good.

Long and short, for Creative Cloud, at minimum 2 year cost is $960.  I expect year 3 to go up as well... whether $59 or expecting $69, you can expect the 5 year cost of the cloud to be around $3000 - $3500

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

Onward and upward dudes!  To the cloud!
Yes. But not at $50 a month! That is a ripoff. Plus it should be configurable. Just like now to pick and choose what one wants.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »