April 21, 2014, 07:12:40 AM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 41825 times)

DFM

• PowerShot G16
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »
The mandatory move to CC subscription licensing only affects products in the current "CS6" range. Bundled products without a CS6 badge (including Lightroom and Acrobat, plus all the "Elements" versions) will continue to be available under perpetual licenses as they are now.

All paid CC members will have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
The mandatory move to CC subscription licensing only affects products in the current "CS6" range. Bundled products without a CS6 badge (including Lightroom and Acrobat, plus all the "Elements" versions) will continue to be available under perpetual licenses as they are now.

All paid CC members will have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.
Who are you? Adobe rep? Is that official info?

Old Sarge

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Adobe Software
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if some new software appears on the horizon to challenge Adobe's place in the market.  Seems like a good opportunity for a company to appeal to those not interested in cloud based software.
The Old Sarge

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
i hope adobe is doing a "Kodak".

for RAW development i use PHOTO NINJA more and more anyway. 
photo mechanic maybe can replace lightroom.
or i have too look at DxO apps.

for video there are plenty of alternative apps.
i use NUKE for example.

photoshop, well it´s hard for me to replace it.  :(
but i hope that maybe corel or another company will make a real alternative some day.
something that is not only close but BETTER then photoshop.
corel sure has the knowledge... look at corel painter.

i know i know that is much to ask... but not impossible.

years ago z-brush came out of nothing (nearly) and big autodesk was not able to catchup with it´s own mudbox software. z-brush still rules.

i really hope someone takes the opportunity and creates something new and a real competition to photoshop. it sure will not happen overnight.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:02:47 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

Also for those thinking adobe will produce poor upgrades check out their youtube channel there are some awesome additions to CC only already like Camera Raw being a photoshop filter!

Silly Silly Lemming.  You don't think that is a coincidence.  The "De-Blur" was pulled from the CS 6 release... why?  To have a tasty carrot. 

If you think the Adobe prices will stay low and be lower than the current packaged upgrade model, you are foolish. 

This is "Rental Software" and a model that attempts to lock you in, and once they have you locked, you pay... or Opps... Sorry.  You are no longer licensed, and for the PS community... all of those PSD files as well as any add-on filters... No longer work. 

Adobe sees the captive audience and like a crack dealer, just waiting to turn you out to get your fix.

Of course the CC Upgrade will have some great features.  This is the hook... the one to get you to jump and then by in... They need BIG INCENTIVE to get people to be suckered into the cloud.

And hell, I already hear people saying it is only $30/month... That is the first year price... next year it jumps to $50/year and if you think it will stay there... you are foolish. 

For me, if they priced PS alone at $99/year LOCKED IN, I would bite at that.  To me half of Adobe upgrades are crap and not worth the price, and given the last upgrade was $199, but CS6 was a big jump, spread over 2 years (5.5 was bs) $99 is reasonable. 

The rumored $10/month is still excessive to me, and $20/year insulting.

I also want to see LOCKED IN RATES as well as another option that Adobe has not mentioned...

CONTINUED USAGE.

The CC Cloud is FANTASTIC for NEW USERS.  If you are not using CS Suite or PS now, you get in for cheap... For those of us who already have a STAND ALONE LICENSED MODEL, I would like to see the Cloud Model be the upgrade model as well.  There is no reason Adobe cannot provide UPGRADES to licensed current users and allow that upgrade to exist PAST the subscription.  I.e require an annual subscription for upgrades, but if subscription lapses, the license continues.

How does this work? 

-- Some one like me who has licensed version of say Photoshop CS6 can use the cloud, subscribe for a year, and for software I already own, I get to continue with the software upgraded version PAST the subscription.

-- Lets say I don't have a current license for Illustrator.  During my subscription period, I could use Illustrator, but once my subscription ended, I know longer could use. 

Part of what is being missed here is Adobe's big F&** Y&* to all current license holders who have paid for teh software.  As a current holder of a license we should be able to pay for an upgrade and have continued use to extend the product we have purchased. 

There is absolute no reason Adobe cannot use the Creative Cloud as both a SUBSCRIPTION model for unlicensed users and an UPGRADE model for current licensed users, except getting a captive audience and then really pummeling them in the future

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:33 AM »
LR5 will be ... for now... available as standalone app.
but i guess they will change that next year.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Also for those thinking adobe will produce poor upgrades check out their youtube channel there are some awesome additions to CC only already like Camera Raw being a photoshop filter!

Silly Silly Lemming.  You don't think that is a coincidence.  The "De-Blur" was pulled from the CS 6 release... why?  To have a tasty carrot. 

+1

some people are just so naive.  ::)

as if adobe does anything because it loves the customers.
it´s all about maximizing profits.

and subscription price will be raised... and raised.. and raised.

and you have no other choice then to pay for it.
you can´t even decide to stick to your old software because CC will stop working if you don´t pay for the subscription.

oh and don´t get me started about the subscription cost in EUROPE... americans get it for cheap compared to us.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:13:43 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
Adobe made this decision because a lot of people without a business don´t pay for the Photoshop software (warez).

and the cloud will change nothing about that.
microsoft and others tried a server side activation... changed nothing.

there will be pirated cloud versions. no question about that.

but adobe can make more money, a constant cash flow from cloud based software.
instead of releasing new versions every 18 month.
and that is a big deal, as it makes things more predictable (R&D cost for example).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:21:47 AM by Canon-F1 »

jm977

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »

[/quote]

Last upgrade was $199, and almost certain there was an early bird or sale at one point... Could have sworn I paid $149. 

The big difference is... Once I have paid, I get to use that software as long as my system runs.  I think my 4 year cost on Photoshop is in the neighborhood of $450.  I skipped one of the upgrades in there.  With the CC, that is looking like $960 outlay over 4 years if the $20/month sticks. 

But again... If I don't think the upgrade is worth it, I don't pay.  I can still use the software this year.  Next year, and with as cludgy as their install is, chances are even if I build a new machine, I can get it installed. 

That is also not to say as OS changes, you also don't pay for software you don't need.  Take Lightroom.  Many people still run Windows 98.  They don't need 7 and looksy, Lightroom 4 does not run on it. 

So for those running PS CS 6 on Windows 7 for example, 2 years from now whether it is Win 8 or what ever is next, if the PS CS 8 only runs on this new OS, you are stuck paying for a subscription for software you can't use, where the hard copy model, you save money.

Rent-Only software sucks!
[/quote]

The real problem is slightly different.  Those of us who will try to milk CS6 for as long as possible will be forced to upgrade to CC when and if we update to a new OS.  Eventually Win7 will be Win8 (only) or Win9 or who knows what.  And lo and behold, CS6 won't work on it so you won't even have your old software to putter around with.  That's what I find even now when it comes to upgrading.  It's usually about the OS and support for programs for older OS or plugins support for older OS or older versions of photoshop.  Those of us who make money using this software will one day find we have no choice but to shell out an obscene amount of money and will have no choice as with all our other expenses but to pass it on to the couples getting married.  They are the losers in all of this.  Sadly, I've grown too accustomed to using photoshop lo these many many years and don't see a viable alternative.  There are raw converters out there but I'm used to using so much more in photoshop itself after converting that I'm going to either accept CC or spend serious time and effort to find an alternative and figure out how to make it do what I need it to do.  Darn you Adobe.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
The rant thread about Adobe's new subscription model is 6 pages long and growing fast. The thread about alternatives is a mere four posts long, only one of which actually names any software.  Makes it pretty clear that no matter how much ranting there is, Adobe can do what they like.

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PaulTopol

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
Capture One does an Excellent job.

Shoot it right and you almost don't need P$.

These big companies almost ask to be pirated.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

well.. that´s a bit narrow minded.
you can´t do collages with C1 or anything that need more then simple image "correctings".

ask joel grimes...

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
The rant thread about Adobe's new subscription model is 6 pages long and growing fast. The thread about alternatives is a mere four posts long, only one of which actually names any software.  Makes it pretty clear that no matter how much ranting there is, Adobe can do what they like.

I have the same sick feeling. The two best competitors seem to be GIMP and Paintshop. Neither really cut the mustard. So what remains? Shell out WAY TOO MUCH (seems like twice as much!!!) for Photoshop, the only program I really use (and can we quit calling them apps, Adobe? THEY ARE PROGRAMS!!! Let them be themselves.) 50 bucks a month over 4 years (my update period) is a LOT MORE than PS. This is a major increase in price, and Adobe is well aware of that. They think they can sit in their ivory towers and forever dictate an increasing tax on the serfs to use their software. I have no issue with a company selling its product for an honest price, but this is rather a monopoly, with a keen edge on gold extraction.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »

C1 is very cool software...but you said it; you ALMOST don't need PS. For any moderately advanced work, PS is still the only player on the field.

I expect we will see a big surge in sales of PS Elements which must have at least 80% of the functionality of PS.

FWIW I have just done the Creative Cloud subscription...I also kept buying petrol when the price went past $1.00 per litre. I've also got MS Office 365. Get used to it, life's too short. Why sweat the small stuff?

-PW

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »
I came across Gimp many years ago as a free bit of software, and now have it on my work computer instead of PS...
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »