September 22, 2014, 06:45:34 PM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 55157 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Alternatives to Adobe Software
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
These big companies almost ask to be pirated.

Does a large department ask for shop lifters?  Do rich people ask to have their homes broken into?
Should carjacking of Porsche and Mercedes be condoned?

The big question is should legitimate buyers and users be punished for the actions of these individuals?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
A alternative to Lightroom is ACDsee  PRO,   Not quite as good, but inexpensive and adequate.  However, Adobe is not moving Lightroom to the CC as of yet.  They know that its used by individuals, not companies with deep pockets.

Adobe is betting that enough people will signup for the CC to give them equivalent income after a year or two.  They are alienating retired people like me who only use PS occasionally, and upgrade every other release.  I've been using it since version 3.5.
My CS5 will keep on working and do what I need for years to come.  I fully expect Adobe to Cave once they see that their bottom line is not what was predicted.  Those paying $30/month to try it are not going to go for $50.  I won't even pay $10 a month.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

The real problem is slightly different.  Those of us who will try to milk CS6 for as long as possible will be forced to upgrade to CC when and if we update to a new OS.  Eventually Win7 will be Win8 (only) or Win9 or who knows what.  And lo and behold, CS6 won't work on it so you won't even have your old software to putter around with.  That's what I find even now when it comes to upgrading.  It's usually about the OS and support for programs for older OS or plugins support for older OS or older versions of photoshop.  Those of us who make money using this software will one day find we have no choice but to shell out an obscene amount of money and will have no choice as with all our other expenses but to pass it on to the couples getting married.  They are the losers in all of this.  Sadly, I've grown too accustomed to using photoshop lo these many many years and don't see a viable alternative.  There are raw converters out there but I'm used to using so much more in photoshop itself after converting that I'm going to either accept CC or spend serious time and effort to find an alternative and figure out how to make it do what I need it to do.  Darn you Adobe.

Not that difficult to 'milk' it for quite awhile.

Just install VMWare on your system (works great on Mac, Linux and Windows)...and you happily run your version of the OS that CS6 runs on till you are tired of using it.

cayenne

Canon-F1

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »

Does a large department ask for shop lifters?  Do rich people ask to have their homes broken into?

The big question is should legitimate buyers and users be punished for the actions of these individuals?

piracy has nothing to do with adobe going the cloud way.
and it will not help preventing piracy... adobe is not dumb, they know that.

the subscription model is simply a great way doing business... for companys.
you have a monthly income you can predict.

bigkeith

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
My workflow is a bit of a mess but this is my experience.  I have CS4, Corel AfterShot Pro, Corel PaintshopPro X5, just installed (1week ago) LR 4 and PS 6 Extended.  I found that LR has a better more intuitive workflow with the added bonus of the DNG conversion with loss less compression.  But the tools available on both AfterShot and LR are basically the same.  I would do basic editing or add special effects in CS4 then clean them up in PSP.  I like the ability to post straight to Flickr or Facebook from PSP rather than LR so I can have my "cleaned" up photos posted in a single step.  Bought PS 6 because I am intrigued with the ability to do the 3D modeling rather than playing with the vector graphics. 

That being said.  Aftershot is a cheaper alternative to LR and for someone who doesn't have to handle a large number of files it works well.  PSP is a way cheaper alternative to PS but there are tools in PS that aren't either available in PSP or require more work.  Also because the Adobe community is so large there are more plug-ins available as well as many different ways to learn to use PS.  I've found the support from Corel abysmal and learning to use their products a bit of a learning curve you may have to do solo.  As pointed out earlier GIMP is free and the user community is quite helpful if you are having an issue.

So bottom line is there are other alternatives to the Adobe product line it's just that Adobe is so entrenched in the market that even if Corel or anyone else for that matter produce better software than Adobe they have their disciple army and it is going to be really hard for them to lose their market position.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »

piracy has nothing to do with adobe going the cloud way.
and it will not help preventing piracy... adobe is not dumb, they know that.

the subscription model is simply a great way doing business... for companys.
you have a monthly income you can predict.

Exactly. Is adobe becoming greedy? Is it not enough that I'm willing to pay thousands for a copy of software?

How much is enough? They want you to pay nearly the same costs but now, you don't own to use the software.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:05:52 PM by RLPhoto »

Tanja

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
i am doing a lot of video.

when i don´t pay for adobes cloud anymore, because i decided to use another program, then all adobe programs will stop to work and i can´t even load my old projects.   :o

when i buy a creative suite i always have the software i bought at hand.. even after 4 years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »

Ladislav

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
For hobbyists? Photoshop Elements. It has more features than most of warez Photoshop users will ever need. It also has limitations like 8bit processing only but it costs like one or two months of subscription to CC.

For professionals who makes money by photography? Either live with a new subscription model (that's just change in your costs) or buy CS6 now and wait what will happen in next few years.
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-300 L IS | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + MH054M0-Q2

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
Buy a copy of CS6 and only pay for LR thru CC or if they continue to use retail copy's. you can convert your RAWs to DNGs later on to continue editing in CS6 for years.

That's my plan anyway.

Ditto.
if you already have LR3 or 4, and PS as CS 3, 4, 5, or preferably 6, then those of us who only use it occasionally or as a host framework for plugins are just fine for as long as we care to freeze our workflow.
As long as you can export your raw file into DNG or 16b TIFF you can continue to do a lot of work without really changing workflow.  DPP, ViewNX, DxO, C1 and other 3rd party raw converters are there to do that.

I froze my OS and my PP software a couple years ago and despite what cameras I added it still allows me to continue working the way I'm comfortable with for years to come.  I'll be taking one more iterative step with OS, PS and LR4 and then that machine gets locked down, no more major SW updates.

If you gotta have some g-whiz new feature then you're gonna have to keep payin' for it unless some competition steps up to take the place of PS.
I know the tech already exists, it's just not well marketed yet.  Hopefully the authors will take this opportunity to push their software to improve customer awareness.

For some of the plugin suites, like Topaz, they already have a basic framework that allows standalone use.  I think this kind of functionality may become a little more commonplace.

GIMP, and Corel and some other small players will now get some extra attention and hopefully improve feature sets and usability.  Adobe's CC move is going to cause a bit of a shift in the whole ecosystem.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
The Wall Street Journal is stating that Adobe is abandoning the packaged software model in favor of Creative Cloud, and plans no further release of Creative Suit after the current 6.0.
If I'm not wrong its been a year since they started Adobe Creative Cloud, but it is still not available in my region http://www.adobe.com/mena_en/products/creativecloud.html?promoid=JFQGY
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but its not just Adobe.  It didn't start with Adobe and probably won't end with Adobe.  Enter Microsoft, Apple, Salesforce, Google (downloaded Nik Collection recently?), state government and private IT datacenters, Drop-Box, etc. etc.
                             ;)

Err....yes, I bought the NIK Collection, but it isn't a service, and I don't have to pay more than once.
I downloaded the plugins, they work, and I don't have to pay again for them....

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
Photoshop elements, lightroom and paintshop pro seem to be the most common alternatives although elements and paintshop are more graphic editing whilst lightroom is more photographers tools.
GIMP (tried it, but never really liked it)

For Apple: Aperture or Photostudio (and after working with windows 8 for a while, I must confess that that platform becomes more tempting by the day)

What does regular Photoshop have that Photoshop Elements is lacking?

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
I'm curious to see how this plays out in the real world for Adobe. I have a strong feeling that the factories I deal with in China won't be joining a "subscription" plan with Adobe. And then trying to convince every company to migrate over to this new platform? Most companies I have worked for don't upgrade every release. Usually they do it every other. Should be interesting.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Yeah, no way. I despite the 'cloud' model. Time to give that Capture One and Vegas Pro a look.
I also have just been reading some good things about PhotoNinja, maybe that will be good and can be used to feed stuff in PS CS6 in the future.

Just say no to the 'cloud' (for video too since the quality is awful compared to say blu-ray and you have no control over whether some title gets ranked from distribution to some battle or low demand or what not and no control over which version, extras, commentary, etc. and it will be ages before our internet infrastructure can deliver he vastly greater bandwidth to most homes that would be needed and even longer before the content providers would bother to encode in truly high quality and carry very version of every title on their servers and even then rights battles mean some title will go away, maybe even for long periods, from time to time)!

And say no for general software. I hate even online check in for initial registration because as soon as the company goes out of business there goes your game, locked out. Usually they don't even bother unlocking stuff before going under although a rare few do.

This Adobe stuff is a poor deal too. And what if someone hits a period where they need or want money to go elsewhere, boom locked out, can't ever put it off for a while. Awful. They have long had some of the worst customer service and worst policies and yet they have now managed to outdo even themselves.

For all the grief many give Canon at times, much of it deserved these days, Canon are like pro-consumer angels in comparison so maybe they aren't really so bad.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Here is CNET's take on the matter:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57582735-92/adobe-kills-creative-suite-goes-subscription-only/

"Customers "overwhelmingly" prefer it.

"But those who've carped about the Creative Cloud are a minority, Morris said.

"Overwhelmingly, when you compare the people who've complained about the new model to the people who loved it, it definitely skewed heavily to the new model," he said. "Obviously we would not be making a decision this big if the percentage of people in that category was so big it was the wrong thing for us to do." "

;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ::) ;D ;D ;D

Yeah because that is why every single thread on every single forum on the net is, for the first time in the history of the internet, at 99% agreement levels on something (and hint the something is not 'overwhelmingly' in support) and barely even bickering at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »