October 24, 2014, 04:33:20 AM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 57249 times)

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
A swap to this model of using Adope CS6 will cause some problems for big organisations that have to secure their datas .
The head of the IT department in the organisation where I work, is in doubt whether the state bureaus is allowing to open the firewall/safety-solutions to use this cloud based software. It is to risky. They are in fear to get hacked.
And we own really a lot of CS6 licences.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

Onward and upward dudes!  To the cloud!

Yeah how much did you get paid to parrot that silly slogan hah.
Such a silly name too, makes something very old in the world of computing sound new and fresh and exciting (OK maybe not a silly name, but a sneaky one).

LOL nothing, I just happen to think

a) This type of thing is inevitable and if done right (eventually) can be beneficial to everyone including customers.  If Adobe products are no longer superior and pricing is too high then competition will appear and catch up.

b) The $20 per month for PS and $50 for everything is not as bad a deal as everyone is making it out to be.  Yes, it's more money and for those that do not upgrade every release it's quite  abit more.  But there's added value in the new model for some users especially those with a desktop and laptop as they get to install to two machines.

Calling it Creative Cloud is a bit of spin since they are not really cloud applications but there is a cloud component.  And besides, if they really were cloud apps that would be bad.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
And no, you won't have any warning they are going away, unless you are an insider.  They DO go poof in the middle of the night.

Outside of the financial industry, it is very rare that a major corporation suddenly and without warning shuts it doors and leaves all customers out in the cold.

Hah! Do you know how many game companies and other software companies have gone under??
When it comes to that most are too bedraggled and desperate to even care about trying to toss out patches to remove protection (or still hoping that someone will buy them or certain items out inthe future and too afraid of losing out on that chance).

Same for music. Music Giants went under. Anyone who wasn't lucky enough to have updated the license on all their songs before they went under got stuck with tens, hundreds of useless music files (and even those files will go away unless you losslessly burn them and then losslessly re-capture them from disc before your current computer changes too much and the rights go away again). RIAA never bothered to help anyone get what they had bought back either, they were just like cool haha now they all have to buy stuff a second time.

I know of many.  But my point is not many "major corporations" suddenly and without warning shut their doors with no opportunity for customers to take appropriate action.  The comment I was responding to suggested that if Adobe ever went bankrupt users would suddenly lose their image files and have to tell customers that their photos were lost.  Not going to happen.  If Adobe went bankrupt the world would have plenty of notice... they are a public company that reports quarterly, we would see their revenue and profit falling and that would be due to poor sales due to loss of customers likely due to poor products that less and less people want to use, etc. etc.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
A swap to this model of using Adope CS6 will cause some problems for big organisations that have to secure their datas .
The head of the IT department in the organisation where I work, is in doubt whether the state bureaus is allowing to open the firewall/safety-solutions to use this cloud based software. It is to risky. They are in fear to get hacked.

xps this is the aspect that most interests me I'd be really interested to hear what your company does about that or indeed what Adobe's (or your suppliers) response is.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

Okay, repeat after me: This is NOT a cloud application. This is Not a cloud application.

From Adobe's website: "And, as always, your applications live on your desktop, not in a browser and not in the cloud."

It is just a confusingly-named marketing scheme.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

And-Rew

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
OK, i've sat and watched this discussion on various forums and have reached the following conclusion...

Adobe Cloud is without doubt a means of extorting money out of people because they think they now have control of industry standard software which people will have to keep subscribing to such as MS Office.

How many people still actually use MS Office, as opposed to a 'compatible' package. I do a reasonable amount of stuff on an iPad, and rest assured there is no MS Office app for that - and yet the docs still work with the official MS Office apps!

Then we come to 'industry standard' - has no one learned? Who here remembers the days when you would most likely 'build' your own PC - and you couldn't do it unless it came with a 'genuine Creative Labs Soundblaster Sound Card'? If you had sound issues - all you ever got off BBS was - 'hmmm - only designed to work with Soundblaster, change your card!'  >:(

Last time i looked on the web, or visited a place that sells computers and components to build one with - i see nothing about Creative Labs or Soundblaster - do they still exist?  :-\

I'm afraid i won't be signing up to any 'cloud computing agreement'. These are not main frames we are using - and we are not beholden to IBM to supply the required software. There are too many other versions of software out there for managing images - it might require some relearning and adjusting to different software ideology, but it will be mine and 'lesser' companies will be happy to take my money to provide such software.

Worse still for Adobe- Canon does a damn good job of providing some extremely respectable alternative software for free  :) If Canon were to suddenly withdraw the provision of said free software - then I'd get suspicious and ditch Canon - sometimes principles are more important than kit!  :-\

woollybear

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

Okay, repeat after me: This is NOT a cloud application. This is Not a cloud application.

From Adobe's website: "And, as always, your applications live on your desktop, not in a browser and not in the cloud."

The problem I have, regardless of whether the software resides in the cloud, on your desktop or on Pandora, is a requirement for an internet connection so that every time you start the application a license check is performed.  That would cause a great deal of heartburn on my part.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
Re: Alternatives to Adobe Software
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
How about Canon's Digital Photo Professional? It ships free with cameras, updates are free and the program does a marvelous job at editing photographs. Who needs anything else? And why?
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

Canon-F1

« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
How about Canon's Digital Photo Professional? It ships free with cameras, updates are free and the program does a marvelous job at editing photographs. Who needs anything else? And why?

well if you have to ask that question you obviously have never uses photoshop or done anything that has to to with image editing beside some color and exposure corrections.......

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
Well maybe us who 'uses' only DPP don't have to do anything else with our photos than simple editing!
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »

The problem I have, regardless of whether the software resides in the cloud, on your desktop or on Pandora, is a requirement for an internet connection so that every time you start the application a license check is performed.  That would cause a great deal of heartburn on my part.

It is not going to be that restrictive. The licensing server will either need to be connected to once ever 30 days or every 99 days. I have heard both numbers from adobe representative, so I am not sure which is true. My guess would be 30 days though.

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »
It is not going to be that restrictive. The licensing server will either need to be connected to once ever 30 days or every 99 days. I have heard both numbers from adobe representative, so I am not sure which is true. My guess would be 30 days though.

For photoshop, maybe not such a big deal.  But it's my understanding that a lot of people that use the video production software very specifically have it on a PC that is NOT connected to the internet to reduce virus risk.  I dunno, maybe that's old school.  Either way, I'm already shopping for other options.

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
Adobe's stocks dropped like a whore's drawers this morning according to the iPhone Stocks app.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »

And if it is 1 time a month, but it is an severe safety problem. My oranisation stores a lot of confident datas, on servers and on more then 2500 PCs. So each leakage is one leakage to much. Our IT-security management officer in chief got an little heart attack today, when he heared what he will have to allow.

That will be an severe problem in future. But,  if the first big organisation or company does not swap to the new productline, Adobe will react.

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »
Buy a copy of CS6 and only pay for LR thru CC or if they continue to use retail copy's. you can convert your RAWs to DNGs later on to continue editing in CS6 for years.

That's my plan anyway.

That's not a bad plan.  The only thing I worry about is that Adobe does not update DNG Converter in the future so that it will convert say, 5D mark5, to DNG so that you can open it in CS6.  That may go slightly against the point of what they are doing with CC.  It would be polite of them to continue to support and provide for free, the DNG Converter.  Unless someone's heard something I haven't.  Trouble is there is a lot of conflicting info bouncing around right now and some dust needs to settle. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »