July 22, 2014, 08:04:57 AM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 51127 times)

bardamu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
So I'm reading a novel on public transport and encounter the following passage:
"do not despair, for in the vampire you have a friend, despite your opinion to the contrary."
Not sure why the word "Adobe" popped into my head at that point...

So glad I picked up various boxed Adobe items a few months back.  I'll use them until they're well and truly obsolete.  I have been playing with Adobe InDesign lately and must say it looks like a very nice piece of software.

I upgraded from a Mesozoic version of Photoshop Elements to CS6 and really like the new one.  A friend of mine uses Elements 10 and I can't stand it.  The user interface looks tacky in the extreme, if not outright patronising.  Looks like something designed for kindy kids to play with, rather than a serious tool for photographic editing.   Do I really need swatches of zebra-stripe patterns, etc cluttering up my screen?  No thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
Please sign this online petition. I do not know if it will do any good, but it is certainly more effective than just sitting around on this forum complaining: http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model#share

Signed and shared.

Same here.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Please sign this online petition. I do not know if it will do any good, but it is certainly more effective than just sitting around on this forum complaining: http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model#share

Signed and shared.

Same here.

Same here
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:30 AM »
As the OP, I feel like this whole thread has gotten a bit crazy, to say the least. I have learned a great deal from you all, but if you won't want to read 17 pages of forum insanity, I believe Scott Kelby has very nicely summarized where we are on this topic, and the punchline is, let us all stop worrying, at least for now.   Thanks, everyone, for an interesting read.

http://scottkelby.com/2013/my-take-on-adobes-announcements-yesterday-at-the-max-conference/
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

mdmphoto

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
I buy photoshop, I pay a price upfront, I own the software, I use it as long as I have computer hardware that will run it.  I join cc, pay a monthly fee, and when I stop paying the monthly fee I no longer "have" the software regardless of my hardware.  Simple math to me.  I will probably upgrade to cs 6 and use it until I find some other "bricks and mortar" style own-it-forever bit of software and try to become more proficient and creative in my photography and even less reliant on software to realize my vision. I don't like being strong-armed...
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »
As the OP, I feel like this whole thread has gotten a bit crazy, to say the least. I have learned a great deal from you all, but if you won't want to read 17 pages of forum insanity, I believe Scott Kelby has very nicely summarized where we are on this topic, and the punchline is, let us all stop worrying, at least for now.   Thanks, everyone, for an interesting read.

http://scottkelby.com/2013/my-take-on-adobes-announcements-yesterday-at-the-max-conference/

Crazy or not, I guess like you, not everyone can stand behind the opinion of everyone on this thread.

I read Scott Kelby's Q and A, and I take his concocted question and answers (written pretty much like his books, which I might add that I enjoy very much) with a grain of salt. I am not saying that he is Adobe's man, but I believe that he has a bias.

Further, I think that he does not address the main issue in this writing: The fact that the industry standard is ascerting its power to switch their operations in what I perceive to be a disfavour to its customers. Microsoft tried, but was forced to open up their platforms. Maybe it is time to look back at the writing and rationale of the anti-trust laws in the U.S.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

DFM

• Power Shot G16
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »
It would be useful if Adobe recognized that there is a large body of amateur photographers using the LR/PS combination and came out with a pricing model that makes sense for that substantial segment.

I think I already covered that in a previous reply, as did Tom Hogarty on KelbyTV. Adobe are thinking about what options they can offer photographers. Of course I can't say what that might be, but the idea of a 'mini-bundle' of Lr+Ps is an obvious one.

As to purchasing CS6 collection and point product perpetual licenses in Canada, it's absolutely still possible. With apologies for the long URL, here's a direct link to the catalog page:

https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10

Channel resellers (Amazon, Calumet, B+H, etc.) are all still carrying CS6 and Lr4 perpetual licenses and will start selling one-year blocks of CC subscription on June 17. Lr5 will follow when it's out of beta (I can't confirm the exact date yet).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »

Tayvin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Tayvin Knight Photo
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2013, 07:23:36 AM »
I'm actually starting to think Adobe may have just done something good for the marketplace.  Adobe hasn't had any competition in the photography realm for the past ten years and they haven't done anything innovative in since CS2.  This move to the Creative Cloud, a.k.a. Cash Cow, is causing users to look at alternatives.  Fast forward three years and we may have some real choices out there besides Adobe.  It will be like another Canon vs. Nikon, which forces innovation.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
Photoshop Elements does not meet the requirements of the large group of amateur photographers who have graduated from point and shoots and only use RAW files.  PSE is more for JPG users.

How'd you work that one out? I only shoot RAW and happily use Elements

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
Some people just don't want to see it.  But yes... for MOST people it is a doubling of price and ultimately that cost has to be absorbed or passed on to the consumer

MOST people?  What are you basing that on... the handful of people who just can't stop whining in this thread?  Or because you don't like and want to think you are typical, normal, average, and that your views are correct you want to believe MOST people must see it your way?  Perhaps it is YOU that just doesn't want to see that it isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:08:36 AM by Meh »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
I just love the thread, in this thread, in which people are whining that this is huge increase in cost because they are happily still using CS3, 4, whatever and since they don't upgrade often Adobe is evil by forcing them to upgrade to the CC versions.   Clearly you should just keep using what you're using and/or upgrade to CS6 whenever you need or want to because Adobe has clearly stated they will keep selling CS6 indefinitely.

The entire BS about having no options in the future is complete and utter nonsense.  You can buy PS Elements and open and edit your PSD files.  I've never used Elements but the general view I've read is that it does most of what PS does and if that's true then perhaps the current version already does much more than previous versions of PS... if money is the issue because you can't afford it, because your'e retired, or you don't need all the fancy new features of every PS release, etc. etc. etc. then wouldn't PS Elements be your logical next upgrade anyway?

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
Here's a question for Mac users out there:

I'm still on my old Windows machines and long overdue for an update on both my main desktop and laptop. I've postponed this and it's not going to happen before the Fall now anyway and there may be some new machines out until then. But I've pretty much decided to move to the Apple world given how much I dislike Win 8 (and Win 7 is not really great either in my experience).

Problem for the photo stuff (and this is why it's in this thread) is my Windows Photoshop license (CS5) that I (according to Adobe) can't transfer to Mac unless I go and buy CS6. Given what Adobe is doing here I'm now even less inclined to do this and would rather stick to CS5 and LR3 which I'm perfectly happy with until a new camera purchase forces me to something newer.

LR3 will run under Mac OS and that now has become (still surprised by that) my go-to tool for 90% of what I do. For the occasional open heart surgery I'd like to run CS5 on a Mac (probably will be a tricked out Mac Mini first) in either Parallels (preferred) or dual boot (if I have to) in Win 7. Is anyone using it this way here? How bad is it? I'd expect it to be still better than what my current old desktop has to offer but thought I might check first. I won't have a gazillion files open or anything like that.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
Here's a question for Mac users out there:

I'm still on my old Windows machines and long overdue for an update on both my main desktop and laptop. I've postponed this and it's not going to happen before the Fall now anyway and there may be some new machines out until then. But I've pretty much decided to move to the Apple world given how much I dislike Win 8 (and Win 7 is not really great either in my experience).

Problem for the photo stuff (and this is why it's in this thread) is my Windows Photoshop license (CS5) that I (according to Adobe) can't transfer to Mac unless I go and buy CS6. Given what Adobe is doing here I'm now even less inclined to do this and would rather stick to CS5 and LR3 which I'm perfectly happy with until a new camera purchase forces me to something newer.

LR3 will run under Mac OS and that now has become (still surprised by that) my go-to tool for 90% of what I do. For the occasional open heart surgery I'd like to run CS5 on a Mac (probably will be a tricked out Mac Mini first) in either Parallels (preferred) or dual boot (if I have to) in Win 7. Is anyone using it this way here? How bad is it? I'd expect it to be still better than what my current old desktop has to offer but thought I might check first. I won't have a gazillion files open or anything like that.

Easy Peasy!!

Do what I do....I have a mac as my main machine (I also have LInux boxes, but that's another thread).
You install VMWare on your mac...and thay way, you can run OSX, and you can run Windows (whatever version you want) in the VM (Virtual Machine), all concurrently. It doesn't even make my macbook pro hiccup running them both at the same time. I use Windows in the VM for the few windows applications I need.

While I was originally going to buy Adobe CS6 Production for mac...I'm considering possibly buying it for windows and running it on my windows VM, and that way I can "lock it in time" with the VM version of the operating system, and happily keep upgrading OSX and not have to worry with that breaking compatibility with the soon to be aging Adobe CS6 products.

HTH,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

Shanly

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
Photoshop Elements does not meet the requirements of the large group of amateur photographers who have graduated from point and shoots and only use RAW files.  PSE is more for JPG users.

How'd you work that one out? I only shoot RAW and happily use Elements

It's great that Elements works for you.  My point is that Adobe clearly aims at the family photographer producing JPGs.  The almost complete lack of 16 bit support (why bother when JPGs are 8 bit), ACR with many features disabled, restrictions on curves and adjustment layers, etc, etc, and the whole template scheme for thngs such as greeting cards and albums support the conclusion about its intended market.  Once again, it's great that it works for you and maybe you're better off than the rest of us who have become used to making extensive use of these features.

In response to other postings regarding Scott Kelby's Q&A - Scott says that at some point in the future if you don't like an increase in price you can simply stop paying.  This is utter nonsense since you then lose access to your data!

Now imagine if you are renting Lightroom and then stop paying.  Now you are completely locked out of all adjustments that you have made while paying over perhaps years.  Scary stuff.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
Perhaps people will now start using in-camera processing and that never used print button! No need for a computer!!!! Or we could all just go back to shooting film!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »