July 22, 2014, 11:49:57 PM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 51170 times)

tombu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Ode to Adobe CC
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2013, 01:01:24 AM »
Small | Large

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2013, 01:01:24 AM »

shunsai

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2013, 01:49:31 AM »
Oh Adobe how do I love thee,
take my credit card for your monthly fee.
My work ever more trapped in a bastion
bound and shackled by your subscription.
No more software for us to buy and own
but only in perpetual servitude use on loan
Thy minions scour the land for signs of dissent
Where resistance builds against software for rent.
Customers silenced if they be not full of joy
at being beholden to Adobe's ploy.
The lowly customer, Adobe's golden goose,
now suffers at the hangmans noose.

:-*

impressive. i'm moved!  ;D

sulla

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • my flickr page
Adobe Creative Cloud - future development slowdown?
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »
Hi!

Just a thought that came to my mind, that has nothing to do with the cost for us consumers:

Does anybody else fear, too, that Adobe might slow down development of Creative Cloud apps in future?

Reasoning behind is that with the CC subscription model customers will provide a continuous cash flow to Adobe, no matter if new features are introduced into the apps or not, whereas in the Creative Suite model Adobe was forced to develop new features interesting enough to motivate customers to upgrade to the new version.

In the CC model, what would stop Adobe from firing half the developers, thus slashing costs in half, when the cash flow is guaranteed anyway?

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:38:01 PM by sulla »
5D & EF 8-15 f/4L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 40 f/2.8 STM, MP-E 65 f/2.8 Macro, TS-E 90 f/2.8, EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Creative Cloud - future development slowdown?
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »
excellent point.
With the "creative cloud" they elliminate one of the driving force behind new development as you describe.
They now only have to worry about the competition to bring new or better tools.

But they seem to think that on many fronts they are way ahead of the competition and it's now time to sit back and watch their bankacounts grow.
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
Stoppage, as far as I'm concerned. I have no desire to rent my software. Fortunately, this appears to be happening around the same time that I feel I no longer need to upgrade my camera, as the Mk III does pretty much anything I need it to. "Last camera syndrome," Thom Hogan calls it.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
Hi!

Just a thought that came to my mind, that has nothing to do with the cost for us consumers:

Does anybody else fear, too, that Adobe might slow down development of Creative Cloud apps in future?

Reasoning behind is that with the CC subscription model customers will provide a continuous cash flow to Adobe, no matter if new features are introduced into the apps or not, whereas in the Creative Suite model Adobe was forced to develop new features interesting enough to motivate customers to upgrade to the new version.

In the CC model, what would stop Adobe from firing half the developers, thus slashing costs in half, when the cash flow is guaranteed anyway?

Just a thought.

I would pretty much assume this to be the case. They really have no incentive like they do with rolling out a 'new release'....at least the fire under them likely won't be lit so much since they'll be the only game in town, with constant rental $$'s coming in, and they pretty much have your files (psd) held hostage if you don't continue to pay them...

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
Photoshop CS6 is a very comprehensive piece of software.  I therefore wouldn't be surprised if Adobe were already finding it harder and harder to find new apps to add to each upgrade version of CS.   The introduction of CC, is likely to ease the pressure on them in this regard.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Well, given that so many people on this and other forums have acknowledged that they are several generations behind would indicate to me that Adobe has been having a hard time finding compelling new features to add for quite some time.

Frankly, I kind of welcomed the fact that they seemed to be slowing down. It was frustrating when they were going through their periods when they felt compelled to redesign the interface with each new version.

Wouldn't it be funny if the whole Creative Cloud thing was just a scam to push people who are still using CS 1, 2, 3 etc., to finally upgrade to CS 6? Next May they could announce that they have "listened" to their customers and will be offering new permanent licenses, maybe on a delayed schedule (you can buy a permanent license for the Creative Cloud 2013 version beginning in Jan. 2015, etc.).

Just kidding of course.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 23, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
I think we're at the "MP3 argument" . . . see here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/09/03/bruce-willis-to-sue-apple-over-itunes/

More than anything else, we're dealing with eroding 'ownership' of the zeros and ones on our own machines.

That said, I know of a large number of people clinging to old (pre-CS) versions of Photoshop for the 'upgrade cost'.

I'm not a big fan of "the cloud"; it is something that isn't is as it is implemented, which is a clearly defined lie.

Honestly, the bottom line in the REAL software world is "free"; the returned revenue will come from genuine support . . . Adobe's not the farthest detached from that (I'm glaring at you, HP, and brandishing something rather pointy), but they're going that ways . . .

You're talking about a mouse with a really long nose.  That is not the real "Elephant in the room", which is the ability to use something you paid for indefinitely.  We don't live forever, but these companies act like we do and that is infringing upon their right to profit.

People think that editing crap on their iPhone is good . . . so maybe this will fix their faulty business models; probably not. 

Optimists enjoy optimism.  Pessimists are prepared for reality.  My outlook is particularly grim, having thought this over.

Hrm; that's a bad ending.  We have "FoCal" and "Dx0" . . . so . . . maybe if the big boys fark stuff up enough the 'free market' will fix things, meaning that people that care about doing things right will actually give us an alternative and make some money along the way.   I'm programming way too much and not taking enough pictures . . . that's the real problem.  I'm taking my dadgum camera to work tomorrow to fix the problem :D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
Photoshop CS6 is a very comprehensive piece of software.  I therefore wouldn't be surprised if Adobe were already finding it harder and harder to find new apps to add to each upgrade version of CS.   The introduction of CC, is likely to ease the pressure on them in this regard.

I think Abode will find many more enhancements - after all the cost barrier for competition is now much lower (new PS users will no longer have a sunk cost of $600+ in s/w)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
Oh Adobe how do I love thee,
take my credit card for your monthly fee.
My work ever more trapped in a bastion
bound and shackled by your subscription.
No more software for us to buy and own
but only in perpetual servitude use on loan
Thy minions scour the land for signs of dissent
Where resistance builds against software for rent.
Customers silenced if they be not full of joy
at being beholden to Adobe's ploy.
The lowly customer, Adobe's golden goose,
now suffers at the hangmans noose.

:-*

New poet laureate of CR

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
Well, given that so many people on this and other forums have acknowledged that they are several generations behind would indicate to me that Adobe has been having a hard time finding compelling new features to add for quite some time.

Frankly, I kind of welcomed the fact that they seemed to be slowing down. It was frustrating when they were going through their periods when they felt compelled to redesign the interface with each new version.

Wouldn't it be funny if the whole Creative Cloud thing was just a scam to push people who are still using CS 1, 2, 3 etc., to finally upgrade to CS 6? Next May they could announce that they have "listened" to their customers and will be offering new permanent licenses, maybe on a delayed schedule (you can buy a permanent license for the Creative Cloud 2013 version beginning in Jan. 2015, etc.).

Just kidding of course.

Hey, maybe so....

I mean, remember way back when with the "new" coke debacle? They caused and uproar, and then brought coke "classic" back to us....

I always thought that was a bit of a publicity stunt...I might be wrong tho.

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
The "Eliminate the mandatory Creative Cloud subscription model petition" now has over 29,500 supporters

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile