Ladies and gentlemen, I have found lot of useful information on this forum and have resisted asking the same old basic question (my favorite topic is 70D rumors!) I am trying to provide the background and make this short but that is proving difficult.
I have used an XTi for 6+ years. It is still going but has some wear and is showing its age, has less usability and I leave it behind on short trips in situations I would have taken it in the past.
I shoot family/social/cultural events where I live for hobby. I shoot landscapes/cityscapes on travel. I have not printed more than a dozen photos in 6 years. XTi resolution has been sufficient so far. If I look at my past pictures, I like 35mm FF equivalent the most.
After doing much homework I came up with attached comparison (please see JPG attachment).
- Features highlithed in light green are important for my use.
- I tried 60D and 7D at local Costco. Their top display and buttons improve usability many times over my XTi.
- 6D scores most on the features important to me, but it is way too expensive. After 6D and 24-105 bundle, prime lenses will have to wait a while. When I do, I can get the most important prime lens, the 35mm. There is nothing comparable for 1.6x.
- I did not consider 7D because whatever it offers over 60D is not relevant to me.
- D60 will allow me to buy all three lenses I want, but I don't like to buy a camera that is overdue for replacement and use it for another ten years. I am OK spending $400 more if a 70D was announced today (moot but just shows my preference).
- If T5i improves usability, compensating for lack of buttons with touch-screen, that allows me to get the three prime lenses I want. I have not tried this hands-on. Actually, the 18-135 IS may meet 60% of my needs but I know the exact situations when I needed a prime. I will miss C1/C2 though (even one on my G12 is a big help).
- If buying a camera today, I think STM support is important though I don't shoot video (because my XTi doesn't have it). Same goes for articulated screen; I use it a lot on my G12. 6D doesn't have one but supports smartphone via Wi-Fi.
Please share your thoughts on any relevant factors I am missing. And if you have an opinion on which camera will serve better based on my evaluations, please share.
Thanks a lot.