October 01, 2014, 01:01:33 AM

Author Topic: Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?  (Read 5166 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
Shopping a clearance house like Amazon is somewhat shaky ground, as they do not necessarily get their products direct from the OEM like B & H.
I would not call Amazon shaky.

Ditto.  Distinguish between Amazon itself, Amazon's retail partners (for whom Amazon is merely the electronic storefront), and Amazon Marketplace.  Look for the phrase "Ships from and sold by:," which tells you exactly who is really selling you the item.  If "Amazon.com" follows that statement, it's from Amazon directly - they are a Canon Authorized Dealer.  For camera gear, it might be sold on Amazon by Adorama, Calumet, or several other quite reputable photo equipment vendors (but for example Adorama may charge more for the same item on Amazon than they do on their own website).  Amazon Marketplace can include reputable dealers (I think Avidmax sells that way, and they are a great source for Lowepro cases), but it can also include sellers like 'Tom-from-Topeka,' who might really be from Timbuku and not even have real stock to sell.  In that event, Amazon will still stand behind the purchase and ultimately refund your money, although you may have to jump through a few hoops. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

rocketdesigner

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Shopping a clearance house like Amazon is somewhat shaky ground, as they do not necessarily get their products direct from the OEM like B & H.
I would not call Amazon shaky.

Ditto.  Distinguish between Amazon itself, Amazon's retail partners (for whom Amazon is merely the electronic storefront), and Amazon Marketplace.  Look for the phrase "Ships from and sold by:," which tells you exactly who is really selling you the item.  If "Amazon.com" follows that statement, it's from Amazon directly - they are a Canon Authorized Dealer.  For camera gear, it might be sold on Amazon by Adorama, Calumet, or several other quite reputable photo equipment vendors (but for example Adorama may charge more for the same item on Amazon than they do on their own website).  Amazon Marketplace can include reputable dealers (I think Avidmax sells that way, and they are a great source for Lowepro cases), but it can also include sellers like 'Tom-from-Topeka,' who might really be from Timbuku and not even have real stock to sell.  In that event, Amazon will still stand behind the purchase and ultimately refund your money, although you may have to jump through a few hoops.

Yes I should have been more specific.

I have had experiences in both contexts .... the first where the item for sale is sold by Amazon.com, and the second where Amazon is the storefront from a non-OEM.

In the first instance, it is probably one of the better places to buy.  In fact, you don't need to even make a phone call to return the item (like you do with B&H) ... you can link directly to your account item and request a return RMA (within a normal return timetable) and you instantly get a link to print a shipping label and the RMA doc to include in the return to Amazon.

In the 2nd context, I stand by my statement that you are indeed on shaky ground when you purchase through Amazon but the product originates from another retailer.  I have had several bad experiences in this case, and have waited months for resolution.  If you have a dispute, Amazon will instruct you to deal with the retailer directly ... but in the end, Amazon will mitigate a complaint if you have one.  It can be a major hassle and one not worth it IMO.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
I will be the first to agree that this part of Amazon - especially allowing multiple instances of the same product to be listed but, as you say, as different "storefronts" for either Amazon or some unknown third party - is something that could be more clear in their system.  Actually, their pages are rather cluttered as is.  I'm sure that the reason for the multiple listings for one seller problem is either the result of Amazon not being attentive or acquiescing to seller demands.  If I were a seller, I would be rather unhappy with the tiny "4 new from..." and "24 used from..." text under the main listing price.  Ultimately, Amazon runs into some difficulties for trying to service many different needs...jack of all trades.

EELinneman

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
I've had nothing but great experiences with Amazon.  If you are a prime member, two day shipping is free, one day is $3.99 per item.  If you have an Amazon visa card, you get 3% credit for Amazon purchases.  My only caveat with Amazon is that if you have to involve them in a refund for a 3rd party purchase, you are limited to doing this only 5 times in your lifetime.

Recently I purchased some mats from Adorama through Amazon and somehow they were folded 3 times between Adorama and my house!  Adorama gave me a full refund the next day after contacting them including the shipping costs too, so good for Adorama.

Finally, even though I'm not Jewish, I find it neat that companies adhere to their religious beliefs like B&H and Adorama too and shut down for a while.  I believe that only B&H stop taking web orders during this time.  I support this and can plan my purchases around this schedule.  In my opinion, it's good for their employees and families.

Lastly, I have found a good local vendor - Denver Pro Photo and purchase from them too.  It would be a sad day when there are no local photo shops where you can look and try different equipment.  If I take their time to give me advice and guidance, I'll purchase it there rather then go and buy it from Amazon, B&H or Adorama.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »