October 01, 2014, 11:22:56 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* This & That  (Read 18236 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* This & That
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »
I don't get why they would drop their price even if there is an announcement because wouldn't their replacement be 3-6 months away?

And the price appears to be back up to the regular 2499
Right. I thought I got rickrolled for a minute there, $2.5k didn't sound like much of a deal.

BB does this all the time (makes price, listing errors).  Depending how big of the mistake, and how much time you have on your hands, if you can show a local store manager realtime, you can sometimes get a deal.  This has not been *MY* experience, but what I have read from others online.

Personally, I hate BB; I think they make WalMart look like a straightforward retailer.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »

WarStreet

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
The D700 is back to normal price too !

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the 6D "typo"...
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
FYI: According to NL an indian site had mentioned last December the possibility for a 6D. But maybe, it is obsolete stuff by now anyway. As it is a pre-Fukushima post:

"Canon may name the next product in this dSLR series, as either the EOS 6D or the EOS 5D Mark III. This product would succeed the current Canon EOS 5D Mark II. It may offer a 24 Megapixel sensor and dual DIGIC 4 processors. The 3-inch display may be an articulated LCD screen with 1.04 million dots. What is more, it may be touch sensitive, making it the first full-frame camera with such technology. When it is expected: This model from Canon's stables is expected to be available before the first half of 2011 ends."

Or would the articulated LCD touch screen stand for forementioned surprise in an earlier CR post??? Seems unlikely. Well, accodring to newer rumors, a 5D update would consist of one DIGIC V rather than dual DIGIC IV...

Here's the link to it: http://www.pcworld.in/news/5-most-awaited-cameras-2011-43492010

Regards, Pedro
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:27:35 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »
BB does this all the time (makes price, listing errors).  Depending how big of the mistake, and how much time you have on your hands, if you can show a local store manager realtime, you can sometimes get a deal.  This has not been *MY* experience, but what I have read from others online.

I've had that experience - BB online listed the Vixia HF M41 at 15% lower than MSRP ($680 vs. $800), when it wasn't yet commonly available, and online retailers (B&H/Adorama) had it for full list price.  The BB website indicated stock available in my local store, so I went in - it wasn't even on display, but they did have the three units in the locked cabinet under the display case - and told me it was $850.  I mentioned the online price, and they sold it to me for that price without batting an eye.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gene_can_sing

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Heres hoping that they do split the 5D line and the 6D becomes the "video focused" FF DSLR that people want the 5D3 to be.

That way the 5D3 will not be bastardised with Video for the puritans and the 6D can be a whole new line of primarily  dedicated video DSLRs.

Actually the 6D kinda makes sense too because we have had the 60D and the 600D.

I wonder if this means that they could eventually can the 7D?

I agree with you 100%. I hope the 6D is the video-centric DSLR because you cannot make both camps happy as we all know by this forum. Maybe the 6D will be like the Nikon D700, a lower 12 mega-pixel but higher ISO performing camera with kick butt video features and codec.

Split line is the way of the future. Nothing worse than a watered down camera to please everyone.

gravediggingaditch

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
While sitting at my desk yesterday, I came across the "sale" at best buy. I was shocked to come across it, especially with the talk about the 5d3 being around the corner and me thinking - should I just buy it now, or wait.  Only one store in the Miami area listed 5d2's in stock. . . . I quickly called a friend at Adorama to find out if he could match it. He laughed and said "no way". He thought I was bluffing and said, if they are selling it at that price, i'm going to best buy to pick up a few.  So, i printed out the internet price, drove to the store, and there was one in the back. It rang up at $2499.00 + Tax with no indication of the sale. I showed them the online price, they didn't hesitate, and I walked out. Happy new owner of a 5d2 now.

As for the Aussie Canon website. I could believe its feasible that canon could inadvertently create a 2nd webpage - but to also call it a 6d which has been rumored as a possible new name? Thats perhaps a little more than pure coincidence.  I gotta say, it shows something is up. Only time will tell. 

yankidank

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Could someone please actually state the sale price that BestBuy was offering? The price is already back up to $2499, and no one thus far stated the sale price. Seems like basic information that they should have included in the OP.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
Could someone please actually state the sale price that BestBuy was offering? The price is already back up to $2499, and no one thus far stated the sale price. Seems like basic information that they should have included in the OP.
A bit late to the party in any case.

yankidank

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
It's still good to know this information, should the price drop again in the future and people want to draw a comparison. As I said in my last post, it's best to post the information for archival purposes.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
Fair point, I apologize for jumping on you for that one.

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
The duplicated page is back up at Canon Australia's site. It remains identical to the 5D Mark II page, however.

except that the URL stills shows it as the 6D:

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/6D

Probably just a typo.....Would be nice to think they're getting the space ready for an imminent announcement, though I can't see that they would do it like that.

I still think we'll be waiting a good few months for any substantial announcements.

This is actually almost standard M-O for Canon DSLR's. About 2 weeks prior to the real announcement, some Canon affiliated web site "accidentally" posts some tidbit about the soon-to-be-announced camera. In this case, it looks like it was the name. Other times, it was a photo, or a spec sheet, or even a full draft of the press release.

I'd say we can expect an EOS 6D to be announced anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks from now.

lmederos

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
I don't get why they would drop their price even if there is an announcement because wouldn't their replacement be 3-6 months away?

Yes, I was wondering why everyone was so excited.   What did BestBuy had it listed for ????

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »

It was around $2139 or there abouts.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »

Yes, I was wondering why everyone was so excited.   What did BestBuy had it listed for ????

$2150 or something close to that. I can't remember exactly.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

amarlez

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
Here's my take on what's going to happen: the 5D Mark III and the 6D are going to be released simultaneously soon.

Because the Australian site has both listed, we can assume the 6D is going to be a new addition to the line and (if it exists) it's imminent. If the 6D is going to be a separate camera, the only reason for a price dip in the 5Ds (other than a fluke) would be a new 5D coming down the pipeline too.

And if we go with Canon's current pricing scheme where the price goes down as the numbers go up (1D>5D>7D), its price point is going be between the 5D and 7Ds.

My guess? The 6D is going to be a full-frame video-oriented SLR priced at around $2000 that will keep the major photo complaints everyone has had about the 5D line (autofocus, FPS, etc.) but target serious videographers with way better video features.

And the new 5D? A photo-centric lord of darkness with improved AF and Kryptonite to smite Nikon's D700 replacement. Maybe priced a little higher, but not too much so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »