September 02, 2014, 11:05:36 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* This & That  (Read 17915 times)

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* This & That
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

This is actually almost standard M-O for Canon DSLR's. About 2 weeks prior to the real announcement, some Canon affiliated web site "accidentally" posts some tidbit about the soon-to-be-announced camera. In this case, it looks like it was the name. Other times, it was a photo, or a spec sheet, or even a full draft of the press release.

I'd say we can expect an EOS 6D to be announced anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks from now.

While I agree about Canon's M-O for leaks, I don't see a 6D announced right now.

As the name suggests, a 6D would sit between the 7D and the 5DII.

The thing is, there's no need for an even more advanced 1.6x camera than the 7D.

But if the 6D is FF, what features could Canon possibly cripple, so that the 6D sits below the 5DII ??
Make it a 1-fps camera with just a single AF-point ??

I'd say that Canon Australia is pulling our proverbial leg here ;);).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

Super Mario

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
Let me tell you, there will be no camera with "more advanced" video features. Maybe less MP's, but that's it. Do you think that Canon makes one DSLR with good video codec and video features without updating the video features of the rest of the models? It will never happen as long as there are other DSLR brands on this planet. Just look what has happened so far. Every camera after 5D MKII have had better video features than 5D MKII and usually better features than the models released earlier. All the cameras will have same codecs and features. There might be a model in the future with things like XLR inputs etc, but the video features and codecs will be the same in sub 1k€ crop and on top of the line FF.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
Further rumour on one of the the forthcoming Sony dSLRs...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/10/unreleased-sony-alpha-a77-already-nominated-for-good-design-awar/

believe as much as you want....
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

This is actually almost standard M-O for Canon DSLR's. About 2 weeks prior to the real announcement, some Canon affiliated web site "accidentally" posts some tidbit about the soon-to-be-announced camera. In this case, it looks like it was the name. Other times, it was a photo, or a spec sheet, or even a full draft of the press release.

I'd say we can expect an EOS 6D to be announced anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks from now.

While I agree about Canon's M-O for leaks, I don't see a 6D announced right now.

As the name suggests, a 6D would sit between the 7D and the 5DII.

The thing is, there's no need for an even more advanced 1.6x camera than the 7D.

But if the 6D is FF, what features could Canon possibly cripple, so that the 6D sits below the 5DII ??
Make it a 1-fps camera with just a single AF-point ??

The 6D only has to fit under the 5D Mark3 in terms of features.

What if the 5D Mark3 never appears and we get a 3D (next year) and a 6D this year?

And if the 3D moves up in terms of what it offers photographers and gets all of the hyped up video (even 3D video!) and the 6D becomes the FF DSLR "that also does video"?

Of course all of those 5D Mark2 owners that feel like their camera is linked to their ego will be suddenly overcome with waves on insecurity because a "lower model" camera will be better than theirs and will cry out in shame at how could Canon do this to them. Diddums.

amarlez

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
XLR inputs are the exact kinds of advanced video features a 6D would have — physical ones that are so substantial to a camera (XLR inputs are pretty large) that it would only be wise to include if they were going market toward video people.

As far as firmware goes, the entire line is probably going to be consistent. But what could some of these other physical things be? A rugged articulating screen, a video optimized sensor that focuses on moire instead of ISO, a hybrid mount that could fit EF and PL lenses, more video-friendly ergonomics. Though are just shots in the dark, but that's how Canon could fill the space between the 5D and the 7D with a video-oriented camera.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
IMO -- If the 6D version emphasizes video, then it would likely have an articulating LCD like the 60D.  The 5DM3, emphasizing stills, would have a fixed LCD, but with increased resolution compared to 5DM2.
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

c-law

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Chris Law Photography
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
What if the 5D Mark3 never appears and we get a 3D (next year) and a 6D this year?

And if the 3D moves up in terms of what it offers photographers and gets all of the hyped up video (even 3D video!) and the 6D becomes the FF DSLR "that also does video"?

Of course all of those 5D Mark2 owners that feel like their camera is linked to their ego will be suddenly overcome with waves on insecurity because a "lower model" camera will be better than theirs and will cry out in shame at how could Canon do this to them. Diddums.
That wouldn't happen. If a more advanced model comes out called the 3D, and a 5DII beating "FF DLSR that also does video" is released then why would Canon released it as a 6D and discontinue the 5D line? The makes no sense from their past naming patterns and no sense from a marketing perspective.

I believe the likeliest explanation is that when a new model is rumoured it is often referred to as the next number up in the naming series due to a confusion in Canon and Nikons naming practices (1D, 1D MkII, etc, vs D1, D2, D3). This is probably just someone who was told to code a new place holder page but who has no real information to work off just naming it something that makes sense to them.

Chris
Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, 580EX, LP160, a couple of home made macro & pinhole lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

Super Mario

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »
Articular screen is advanced video feature now? :D 3" screen is useless in professional enviorement. That doesn't belong to advanced video features list and will most likely be feature all Canon DSLR's have in the future.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Radovan III

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »

5D Mark II Crazy Price

Best Buy dumping 5D Mark II’s for what appears to be below cost...

Check this out:
http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_16&products_id=1882

"Broadway Camera" is a reputable pro shop in Vancouver and is listing 5DMK2 for $2,299.99 .... sale price.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
5D Mark II Crazy Price

Check this out:
http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_16&products_id=1882

"Broadway Camera" is a reputable pro shop in Vancouver and is listing 5DMK2 for $2,299.99 .... sale price.

And it says sale ends 29th August 2011 - maybe that's the day before the press release?

gravediggingaditch

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Could someone please actually state the sale price that BestBuy was offering? The price is already back up to $2499, and no one thus far stated the sale price. Seems like basic information that they should have included in the OP.

The price Best Buy had it for was $2,123.99

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
5D Mark II Crazy Price

Check this out:

And it says sale ends 29th August 2011 - maybe that's the day before the press release?
Futureshop has it on sale nation-wide for $2250:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-21-1mp-dslr-camera-body-only-select-stores-only/10114119.aspx?path=df997effa6eb42971890de5ce44fb665en02
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »

mgotcher

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
Did you notice that the Australian canon site managers deleted the second 5d mark ii link.  This is such a strong rumor.  Thanks for the update.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 01:44:49 AM »
IMO -- If the 6D version emphasizes video, then it would likely have an articulating LCD like the 60D.  The 5DM3, emphasizing stills, would have a fixed LCD, but with increased resolution compared to 5DM2.

If you think about it this would make sense.

The current 6 Series (60D/600D) both have the articulated screen etc.

Whats to say that the 6D could not be the Full Frame more video focused version of what the 60D currently is.

eg. Get rid of the built in flash, Full Frame, dual SD cards etc.

Don't get me wrong i love my 60D but sometimes i just wish that it had a FF sensor and a few extra bells and whistles.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 01:44:49 AM »