December 18, 2014, 05:00:42 PM

Author Topic: Desired fantasy gear  (Read 17570 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Desired fantasy gear
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »
EF-S 400 4 IS

Why not try the EF 300mm f/4L IS, as it is the equivalent of 480mm on a 1.6x crop body?
Maybe because it would be the equivalent of much more mm (actually 640) on a 1.6x crop body and some need it?

No, a theoretical EF-S 400mm lens on a 1.6x crop body would be the equivalent of 400mm.  Note: EF-S lenses, which is what the OP requested, can only be mounted on a 1.6x crop body, so there is no crop factor.
Actually there is crop factor:
EF-S10-22 gives the equivalent of 16-35 for example.
The difference is that EF-S lenses cannot be used on full frame and there is no spare glass in the sense that the imaging circle is not big enough for full frame. So the quality may (or may not depending on the lens) suffer at the very edges.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »

The Bad Duck

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:35 AM »
Self carrying camera bag.
Lightstands that do not blow over when windy.
Speedlights with the capacity (recharge time, capacity and power) of big studio strobes @ 1000WS.
Voice activated controll of speedlights and more groups (A, B, C... to K).
Jet pack for those unusual camera angles.
Weather controll to roll in those perfect clouds when the sky is just too boring.
Laughing gas kit - the lens can emit lauging gas to make the people at the wedding more relaxed and happy thus generating better pictures for the photographer. Or if the weddingshoot goes terribly wrong the photographer can use the gas for his or her own comfort.
Device to slow time. That would make it easier to get the shot when a lot is going on.

When it comes to camera bodies I´d like to have the eye controlled AF back. I´d also like to have the AF points spread out over more or less the whole frame. The 5D mkIII has a larger spread than the 5D mkII but I´d like even more.
I´d also like to set what points I can manually choose - when I use the "all cross type points" preset it takes forever to change AF point from one side of the frame to the other. Perhaps a portrait-mode AF that looks for eyes and put focus there. And a wedding mode that look for four eyes and give a large enough DoF to have them all sharp... From last wedding everything looked good on camera monitor but when I got back to my computer I saw that the groom was a bit OOF, but the bride was tack sharp. Not good and my own fault of course, but that wedding-mode would be cool.

Other than that.... Update the 50 mm /1.4. Give it better USM, better build, better sharpness wide open, better contrast.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »
Self carrying camera bag.
Lightstands that do not blow over when windy.
Speedlights with the capacity (recharge time, capacity and power) of big studio strobes @ 1000WS.
Voice activated controll of speedlights and more groups (A, B, C... to K).
Jet pack for those unusual camera angles.
Weather controll to roll in those perfect clouds when the sky is just too boring.
Laughing gas kit - the lens can emit lauging gas to make the people at the wedding more relaxed and happy thus generating better pictures for the photographer. Or if the weddingshoot goes terribly wrong the photographer can use the gas for his or her own comfort.
Device to slow time. That would make it easier to get the shot when a lot is going on.

When it comes to camera bodies I´d like to have the eye controlled AF back. I´d also like to have the AF points spread out over more or less the whole frame. The 5D mkIII has a larger spread than the 5D mkII but I´d like even more.
I´d also like to set what points I can manually choose - when I use the "all cross type points" preset it takes forever to change AF point from one side of the frame to the other. Perhaps a portrait-mode AF that looks for eyes and put focus there. And a wedding mode that look for four eyes and give a large enough DoF to have them all sharp... From last wedding everything looked good on camera monitor but when I got back to my computer I saw that the groom was a bit OOF, but the bride was tack sharp. Not good and my own fault of course, but that wedding-mode would be cool.

Other than that.... Update the 50 mm /1.4. Give it better USM, better build, better sharpness wide open, better contrast.

Many good ideas here... Really!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:26 AM »
I would love a body with option of full frame and crop with the flick of a switch.
This fantasy stems from something I read in this forum earlier. Was it a Nikon camera?
I do not know Nikon gear at all so not sure.

But something like this would be great for me. Advantages of FF and crop in the same body! While we are at it, let the crop have even faster frame rate.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
I would love a body with option of full frame and crop with the flick of a switch.
This fantasy stems from something I read in this forum earlier. Was it a Nikon camera?

But something like this would be great for me. Advantages of FF and crop in the same body! While we are at it, let the crop have even faster frame rate.

I believe the Nikon D800 has this. It effectively becomes a built in TC. I would love that too.
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
15mm 1.4 for APS-C so its "like 24mm on FF sensor". Same for 21/22mm 1.4 for "35mm on FF sensor" :) Just wideangles with wide apertures for APS-C in general :(

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
A 5d3 body with perfect working AF (mine is faulty from purchase and being service for a year without solution), with sony sensor ~30, 35 mpix, and good nikon-style DR, no banding etc. + 50 1.4 with perfect AF and all lenses without need for calibrating, checking etc. That's my fantasy gear.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
RX1 body + sensor. Be able to swap lenses: 14 or 16mm, 35 or 50mm, 85 or 135mm and of course 24-70 f2.8 IS. Keep the lens sizes as small as possible ;)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:24:35 AM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

The Bad Duck

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »

I believe the Nikon D800 has this. It effectively becomes a built in TC. I would love that too.

You could create an action in photoshop to autocrop your photos from the centre of the frame by 1.5 times and there you go. Problem solved.
However the "higher framerate"-function when less pixels are used is interesting (but not for me). I would like to go in another direction though - less noise! Use 25% of the pixels and reduse the noise by 50% or something by grouping the pixels together 2 by 2 or something, letting those 4 pixels simulate 1 larger pixel. THAT would be an interesting "crop" mode for me (although it would not be a crop mode since it would not crop, it would  be high sensitivity, low resulution mode). I have no need for faster framerates (however I understand that other photographers may need all the FPS they can get.)

22 mpix to use at low ISOs
11 mpix to use at high ISOs
6 mpix to use at superhigh ISO.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
Am wondering what gear we all want that is not being manufactured yet but we wish it were.

I start:
A focusing screen (for cameras that accept interchangeable screens eg 1dx and 5d2) with proper split screen focusing aid. This will help me use Zeiss lenses better and focus manually Canon lenses in low light etc.
And, if I could: 24-105 f2.8 IS with good corner sharpness. This will be my ultimate travel lens.

Thank you.

A) A more affordable M9 alternative

and/or

B) A modern digital version of the Canon F1 with a line of revived FD manual focus lenses
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

ERO

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
Chalk up another one for replaceable focusing screens in the 5D3. That was an unforgivable omission in a camera at this level. Most of our stuff is manually focused studio work so we have to fall back on either 5d2, 1d series or medium format bodies, which is not always ideal. My old eyes need all the help they can get.

Would love to see the new rumored TS-E 45 & 90 appear with the same features and resolution as the 24.

Oh, and one of those Manfrotto tripods, please.

Now for the fantasy stuff - what I'd really like would be a simple, ultra-high quality, manual only, full-frame 35mm body with mirror lock and knurled rotary knobs on top for shutter/aperture/ISO. Nothing else - no autofocus, no fancy electronic stuff that needs a one inch thick manual. Like an old F1, but digital. Don't even need an exposure meter. It would probably have hairs sprouting from the hand grip.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »

You could create an action in photoshop to autocrop your photos from the centre of the frame by 1.5 times and there you go. Problem solved.
However the "higher framerate"-function when less pixels are used is interesting (but not for me). I would like to go in another direction though - less noise! Use 25% of the pixels and reduse the noise by 50% or something by grouping the pixels together 2 by 2 or something, letting those 4 pixels simulate 1 larger pixel. THAT would be an interesting "crop" mode for me (although it would not be a crop mode since it would not crop, it would  be high sensitivity, low resulution mode). I have no need for faster framerates (however I understand that other photographers may need all the FPS they can get.)

22 mpix to use at low ISOs
11 mpix to use at high ISOs
6 mpix to use at superhigh ISO.

Interesting

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
A nice remote control kite rig for aerial photography....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
EF-S 400 4 IS

Why not try the EF 300mm f/4L IS, as it is the equivalent of 480mm on a 1.6x crop body?
Maybe because it would be the equivalent of much more mm (actually 640) on a 1.6x crop body and some need it?

No, a theoretical EF-S 400mm lens on a 1.6x crop body would be the equivalent of 400mm.  Note: EF-S lenses, which is what the OP requested, can only be mounted on a 1.6x crop body, so there is no crop factor.

Nope!

A 400mm lens is a 400mm lens is a 400mm lens, no matter which body you mount it on.

For example, take the EF-S 18-200 and the EF 70-200, mount them on a crop camera, and you will get the same field of view. This is the same field of view as a 320mm lens would give on a FF camera.

Also, some EF-S mount lenses made by third parties will fit onto FF bodies. I have used a Sigma 10-20mm lens on a 5D2. It works, but the vignetting is SEVERE! It really looks like you were using a fisheye lens.
The best camera is the one in your hands

ERHP

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • ERH Photography
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
Crazy I know, but I'd love to see a 1200mm f/5.6 with the newer tech used.  Wonder if they could get it under 25lbs.  Sure it would be pricey, but the topic is fantasy gear... 

Canon 1D X / 5D MK III and some lenses

http://erhp.smugmug.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »