July 28, 2014, 01:04:33 PM

Author Topic: GoPro Video and Helicopters  (Read 5522 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
GoPro Video and Helicopters
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
There are times when I would like to take a bird's eye view of something. Perhaps it is a building by a beach, or a gathering/event out in the open.

Of course scaffolding is one answer, but I was looking at remote controlled helicopters the other day and started wondering just how good they are at getting such video. I could attach a GoPro at the angle I desire and if I can learn to fly the thing, I should be able to get a few seconds of decent shots. At least that is the idea.

Has anyone tried this? Am I being delusional, or can it work?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

GoPro Video and Helicopters
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »

paul13walnut5

Re: GoPro Video and Helicopters
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »
It can work.

The ARDrone can be modified to take a Go-Pro, if you add the wi-fi back then you can see what the go-pro see's on your iphone.

You need an ARDrone and a kit from this guy:

http://etfett.net/product_info.php?products_id=55

All pretty modest cost, but pretty modest results (Ar Drone isn't that stable in higher winds, RC range isn't great)

You can spend thousands on a proper RC helicoptor with gyro mount and full RC for helicopter and camera settings. 

Safety, licensing, insurance are all issues depending on your region.

It can work.  But there are degrees of how well.  I wouldn't want to fly it over people lest it drop from the sky and nasty lawyers come and take all my cameras and my car away and my girlfriend leaves me and I end up on the streets.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:21 AM »
You could try things like the Parrot Airdrone 2, a quadricopter, built in HD video, and streams to a tablet.... why re-invent the wheel?

I have put my gopro up on a kite and up on a stunt kite. I lost coms on the kite at about 300 feet... but it was neat up till then. Of course, a quadricopter can aim the camera, my kite can not.

The stunt kite was a bit more interesting.... let's just say that if you need to produce unwatchable, nausea-inducing video, a stunt kite and a GoPro are the way to go....
The best camera is the one in your hands

ranger rob

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
Look at the entry-level DJI Phantom. Lots of videos on net

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
Thank you Paul, Don and ranger Rob. You have given me some ideas and I will be looking into your suggestions. Thanks.  :)

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »
...I have put my gopro .... up on a stunt kite. .....
The stunt kite was a bit more interesting.... let's just say that if you need to produce unwatchable, nausea-inducing video, a stunt kite and a GoPro are the way to go....
Um, even if the results were unusable, that was a brilliant bit if innovative thinking. Kudos for thinking that up and giving it a go!!
---
There are times when I would like to take a bird's eye view of something....
Google for quadcopter.
The learning curve to fly a quad is reported to be  very short, unlike a helo.

What you are asking about has already been done by thousands.
There are lots of vendors and forums on the quad topic.

There a DIYs for building your own quad or buy one ready made, prices from a few hundred to several thousand.
GoPro use is common, so are DSLRs.
There are radio controlled gimbal mounts for camera aiming, actual camera controls will be limited to WiFi range.

Er, dare I say, "The Sky is the Limit"?
40 on 6

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:54:17 AM »
Yesterday, I almost bought the Quadcopter+GoPro 3 but I ended up spending the money on Rokinon 24mm Tilt-Shift lens. I'll have to wait for some time before I can buy the Quadcopter+GoPro3
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:54:17 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
Be sure to check regulations before you fly one.  New laws are being passed almost every day restricting drones.
Privacy is a big concern, and lawsuits have already started to make lawyers rich.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
Be sure to check regulations before you fly one.  New laws are being passed almost every day restricting drones.
Privacy is a big concern, and lawsuits have already started to make lawyers rich.
That was one of reasons that stopped me from buying the quad copter
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »
Thanks tolusina, Rienzphotoz and Mt Spokane Photography.

Google for quadcopter.
The learning curve to fly a quad is reported to be  very short, unlike a helo.

I almost wish I had not started this thread as now I have googled "quadcopter" and I am hooked, totally hooked!

For the money these seem to provide excellent quality, and while I am sure laws in Europe and the US are very strict (or getting stricter) here in Asia (especially some countries) it may take a while to catch up.

Of course, as Paul warned in an earlier post, there is always the danger of flying into someone, but I am sure with a bit of practice that this will become less and less likely.

The videos on YouTube etc are great.

This is from DJI:

NAB - DJI GoPro Gimbal footage on Vimeo Small | Large

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
I currently use a Hero 3 on my helicopter. It's fun and works for some projects but I am wanting higher quality results. I recently purchased a Sony NEX 5n. It has an APC sensor and is less than 300 grams with a 16mm lens so it is light enough to fly.

Here is a wedding proposal I shot a few weeks ago with the GoPro and Keychain camera on my helicopter.

Alamo Square- Wedding Proposal Small | Large

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
Like the guy in that one vid, I screw my Powershot S95 onto a monopod, extend it fully -- and instantly I'm 12-feet up in the air.  Obviously, it's not comparable to a hovering vehicle, but it can be useful for interesting angles and overcoming some visual obstacles.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
I currently use a Hero 3 on my helicopter. It's fun and works for some projects but I am wanting higher quality results. I recently purchased a Sony NEX 5n. It has an APC sensor and is less than 300 grams with a 16mm lens so it is light enough to fly.

Here is a wedding proposal I shot a few weeks ago with the GoPro and Keychain camera on my helicopter.

Alamo Square- Wedding Proposal

Both my wife and I enjoyed this video tremendously. Thank you :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
I almost wish I had not started this thread as now I have googled "quadcopter" and I am hooked, totally hooked!......
Indeed! Fires the imagination right up, doesn't it?
---
Regarding various restrictive or/and prohibitive laws, I read somewhere that one way around such laws is to tether the craft to the ground as the craft is no longer 'unmanned'.

Of course a tether will add weight, the lifting capacity of the craft will need to be increased to compensate.
And, obviously, the totally free flying capabilities will be greatly reduced.
Still, even tethered close, many creative possibilities remain within the unusual perspectives still possible.
The actual tether could be as simple as kite string (oops, string broke, it got away, sorry officer) or how about CAT5 cable for tethered control of the camera to a PC?

I can think of many applications where a tether would be undesirable, such as outdoor athletic events like foot/bicycle races and the like, how cool would that be to follow the leaders along a course?

Still, if local laws prohibit such use, work within those laws, best possible.

40 on 6

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing the video, Chris. It just goes to show what can be accomplished with such a toy.

When you say you want higher quality results, what do you feel the Sony NEX 5n offers you over the GoPro which has the advantage of being weather proof (I believe) and perhaps more shock/crash proof?

It is something I would only use for a few seconds worth of video, but it just adds something quite unique to a project.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »