September 17, 2014, 05:35:39 AM

Author Topic: GoPro Video and Helicopters  (Read 5932 times)

Hobby Shooter

Re: GoPro Video and Helicopters
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »
I don't know much about the different models you're talking about, but will look up and rad about it. I just wanted to share this that I saw last year. It's in Cambodia and a French photographer was filming video for the resort's homepage. This cool chopper had a G12 attached underneath it. When I saw it I felt that I needed one, wouldn't know what to do with it, but it was cool.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »
DJI Phantom GPS GoPro Flying Platform is actually made for just for this.  With GPS hover and one button return to home, its probably going to take 3 flights to loose it, not 2.

HeliPal.com - DJI Phantom GPS GoPro Flying Platform

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »
For aerial video the Hero 3 is a good starting point. The video quality is ok especially for just playing around. The Hero 3 is not a good choice for aerial photos. I don't have a way to switch the camera from taking video to taking stills. With the Sony NEX 5N I can switch between photos and video from the ground with the flip of a switch on my transmitter, through an LED remote sitting in front of the camera. With the Hero I can grab stills from the video, but I can get a much higher quality photos from the APS C sensor in the Sony in both still and video modes. There is also a lot of fisheye with the hero that becomes distracting.

I believe putting a good quality camera in the air has some interesting possibilities such as real estate work, I've also does a few large group photos from the air. There is some question as to how legal it currently is in the US, but Obama has given a directive to the FAA to formally allow drones for commercial use in the USA by 2015. Currently most other countries around the world allow for drone use on commercial work. Many of the tv and movie shots are now being done using these types of small RC helicopters.

Here is a photo of helicopter I am using now...

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
I know it's a lot lower-tech...... but as long as the wind is blowing you can put a GoPro up on a kite.... you have no control over what it is pointing at, but sometimes you get lucky.

P.S. The lady in the yellow coat is the one who will not let me send her 5D2 and L-glass up a kite :(  I'm in the beige sweater on the right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:25:04 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
For kite video and photos, I would use an 808 Keychain camera. Quality is a bit lower than the gopro but hey are only $40 and weigh just 18 grams.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
Take a look at this link for pics with cameras on kites.
http://digital-photography-school.com/61-amazing-kite-aerial-photography-images

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am definitely going to be looking into this a lot more. It just seems like such a great way of getting a few seconds of unique HD video footage.

There is also a lot of fisheye with the hero that becomes distracting.

I had not noticed the fisheye effect on the Hero until you mentioned it, but it is very clear in the DJI video that TexPhoto posted.

Using a kite is obviously the cheaper option but I do not see them as a realistic option (for me at least) as there is less control and quite likely to be more buffeting from the wind etc. Nice idea though.

Thanks.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
For aerial video the Hero 3 is a good starting point. The video quality is ok especially for just playing around. The Hero 3 is not a good choice for aerial photos. I don't have a way to switch the camera from taking video to taking stills. With the Sony NEX 5N I can switch between photos and video from the ground with the flip of a switch on my transmitter, through an LED remote sitting in front of the camera. With the Hero I can grab stills from the video, but I can get a much higher quality photos from the APS C sensor in the Sony in both still and video modes. There is also a lot of fisheye with the hero that becomes distracting.

I believe putting a good quality camera in the air has some interesting possibilities such as real estate work, I've also does a few large group photos from the air. There is some question as to how legal it currently is in the US, but Obama has given a directive to the FAA to formally allow drones for commercial use in the USA by 2015. Currently most other countries around the world allow for drone use on commercial work. Many of the tv and movie shots are now being done using these types of small RC helicopters.

Hi Chris, I noticed the Helicopter has "Graupner" on the Props, but I dont see this model on their web site at all, do you have a link.

Love the video, I can just see flying this around a Group of Lions, carefully.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
Graupner is no longer manufacturing props. They were good props but expensive. DJI (they make the frame, motors and flight computer) has a history of making cheap props that fail in flight resulting in many crashes. DJI recently released a new, 1038 prop that is both flexible and strong. You can bend them and they don't snap. They are also easy to balance. They only cost $3 each and I have been really happy with them. In flight failure seems to have been resolved with this prop. They are working every bit as good as the Graupners were.

Another thing DJI has done is provide new software for the Naza motor controller. With the new 3.01 software loaded if a single motor or prop fails (6 and 8 rotor configurations only), the controller will still allow for a controlled landing. With intelligent orientation turned on it is also possible to bring the helicopter back to home before landing. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »