October 21, 2014, 08:39:05 AM

Author Topic: Poor Lightroom output of Jpg's  (Read 2383 times)

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Poor Lightroom output of Jpg's
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
Looking for a touch of brain picking, looking at photos I've taken using my current gear, everything looks fine when viewing the raw image in Lightroom, but trying all three output options starts creating nasty colours, which are in particular nasty looking when zoomed into the jpg of people's faces and the flesh tones.

I'm forming an opinion that this is a limitation of the gamut of jpg's, but is there anything I can do to mitigate the harsh colours I'm getting when zoomed into parts of faces.
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

canon rumors FORUM

Poor Lightroom output of Jpg's
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Lightroom output of Jpg's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
have you checked that jpgs are being saved in srgb space?

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
have you checked that jpgs are being saved in srgb space?

As I said, yes, tried all three output options
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
why is it so hard for people to post examples on a photography forum?

we should take our time to read and answer questions but people are most of the time too lazy to post examples....

Or to put it another way

Hi Haydn, LR should produce quite reasonable results most people find it quite satisfactory. Could you put up a couple of shots so we can see what you are getting? details of the shot settings and processing settings will help.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
Or to put it another way

Thanks, much more what I've come to expect of friendly folks on here - I will, but not in front of the PC at the moment but will ASAP
Regards, Haydn

Warninglabel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »
If using Windows 8 or earlier, try changing your color management profile in your setting, make sure it's Adobe RBG ect. to get the full range of colors. It could be windows causing the problem not lightroom.
5D Mark III, 7D, 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS II Speedlite 600EX-RT 24mm - 70mm f/2.8 II
Stop Action Sports | My Google + | Christopher Mitchell Photography

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
Ah, user idiot error - sat playing with my original and finding the results much better - presets help make the picture better overall, but can ruin some details especially in the recognisable flesh tones.
Regards, Haydn

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

MD_photo

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »
First time poster, but long time visitor. I have the same problem, and I'm convinced it's Windows8, but can't find the issue. I have a calibrated Dell 27" LCD, only HueyPro calibration tool, but seems to work well. When in Lightroom4, my jpg outputs look a TON more contrasty, saturated and underexposed by about 1.3 stops. I'm so stumped on it that I've literally been overexposing my photos, reducing contrast, basically working backward until I get the result I'm looking for. I looked in the windows8 under color management, and made sure I'm processing and outputting everything in sRGB, including my settings on my 5DIII and/or 7D. The kicker for me is that when I output a RAW in LR as an sRGB jpg, and re-open it in something like Digital Professional Pro, it still looks contrasty, etc... but when I go to edit the picture in the same program, it returns to it's LR-looking view! So it seems that there is some encoding being added that the program knows to remove when editing?? So confused. I'll of course attach an example: the right is LR, left is the output as sRGB jpg, just being viewed from the Windows8 file previewer. Any help would be great, I no longer want to even edit pics until I figure this out.

Erikerodri

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • "All We Lose, We Learn from you"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
First time poster, but long time visitor. I have the same problem, and I'm convinced it's Windows8, but can't find the issue. I have a calibrated Dell 27" LCD, only HueyPro calibration tool, but seems to work well. When in Lightroom4, my jpg outputs look a TON more contrasty, saturated and underexposed by about 1.3 stops. I'm so stumped on it that I've literally been overexposing my photos, reducing contrast, basically working backward until I get the result I'm looking for. I looked in the windows8 under color management, and made sure I'm processing and outputting everything in sRGB, including my settings on my 5DIII and/or 7D. The kicker for me is that when I output a RAW in LR as an sRGB jpg, and re-open it in something like Digital Professional Pro, it still looks contrasty, etc... but when I go to edit the picture in the same program, it returns to it's LR-looking view! So it seems that there is some encoding being added that the program knows to remove when editing?? So confused. I'll of course attach an example: the right is LR, left is the output as sRGB jpg, just being viewed from the Windows8 file previewer. Any help would be great, I no longer want to even edit pics until I figure this out
I have been having the same issues but I am on a Mac. I just recently noticed this and I don't know if I just overlooked it in the past or if it just started. It may be a coincidence but I just noticed this after the latest update
Bodies: 6D (Gripped), T3i (Gripped), sl1
Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8, canon 50 1.8, canon 85 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS,
Misc: Yn-622c triggers, Yonguo 565ex, Bower Ringflash, Bower TTL Flash

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Adobe is now charging a monthly fee for proper jpeg color output.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »