December 18, 2014, 05:30:31 PM

Author Topic: Bleak city streets on the edge of suburbia....  (Read 1454 times)

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Bleak city streets on the edge of suburbia....
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »
Made with my Eos M and 35mm equivalent lens....more info and images here at....http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/

canon rumors FORUM

Bleak city streets on the edge of suburbia....
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Bleak city streets on the edge of suburbia....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
Hmmmm... I don't quite understand the point of these photos.  The first and last shots seem to be lacking a clearly defined subject, the colors are extremely muted, and they look overexposed and very flat.  I'm not trying to be harsh, but they're not very good shots.

The only suggestion I can make is perhaps try converting them to black and white and do some selective cropping to see if you can pull some composure out of them.  Mid-day light, in my opinion, makes for better B&W photos than it does color.

I've seen some of your other photos, and they all seem to suffer from similar problems such as poor composition, color, and depth.  If this is the look you're going for, then by all means disregard my comments.  I'm simply hoping to offer some constructive criticism.

But thank you for sharing!
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
Pierce thanks for your constructive criticism, I appreciate you looking and taking the time to reply...

...but yes this is exactly the look I am going for as well as design etc. But by no means do I regard these images as 'keepers' but its all part of an ongoing journey, where at some point I will have a 'body' of work from which I can start to build a portfolio.

The flat colours, overexposure and increase in micro contrast is all part of the plan, as is the design...

good or bad, imo,  and with respect, that's all in the eye of the beholder and I much prefer images that illicit a strong response, good or bad, like yours, than a blanket approval or otherwise...

so once again thanks for your honest opinion! :)

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
The flat colours, overexposure and increase in micro contrast is all part of the plan, as is the design...

good or bad, imo,  and with respect, that's all in the eye of the beholder and I much prefer images that illicit a strong response, good or bad, like yours, than a blanket approval or otherwise...

If that's what you're going for, then they're great images.  :-)
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »