Gear Talk > Lenses

Would you rather buy used or refurbished?

(1/4) > >>

sunnyVan:
If you had to save some money, would you rather buy used on ebay or Amazon, or would you buy refurbished from canon usa?

kennephoto:
Used locally is preferred for me then I can check everything out. I haven't bought anything used on eBay as far as camera gear but I think if there's enough photos and honest info I'd do it. And I've never been afraid of a refurb product, there's no industry definition of what a refurb is. Refurb could be someone opens the box never used it but returned it and it was labeled as refurb because its no longer new. Used on amazon is do if the price was right but I think for the camera stuff I've seen it's usually over priced. I'd go with any option keeping in mind the price and doing a little homework to secure a good deal!

Random Orbits:
Have done both, and it comes down to price.  Canon USA is easier to deal with with returns though, and the prices are nice when you snag a refurb unit on sale.  I avoid used units that are older and those that tend to wear badly (i.e. 24-70 I) when looking for used deals.

lilmsmaggie:

--- Quote from: Random Orbits on May 08, 2013, 10:00:01 AM ---Have done both, and it comes down to price.  Canon USA is easier to deal with with returns though, and the prices are nice when you snag a refurb unit on sale.  I avoid used units that are older and those that tend to wear badly (i.e. 24-70 I) when looking for used deals.

--- End quote ---

+1  I've bought used from KEH, eBay and photog forums.  Haven't run into any serious issues.  Although I have more trouble finding refurb lenses on Canon USA -- they're usually out of stock when I've looked.

If I buy used, I have the lens checked out by a technician during the return period.  Usual stuff: check for fungus, CLA if everything  else checks out.   The local brick & mortar photography store, in addition to the in-house technician, also outsources some work to a certified Leica/Hasselblad tech.  I've had this guy look at some used Rodenstock and Schneider lens purchased on eBay and from KEH.  Does excellent work not sure if he looks at Canon glass.

Speaking of good technicians/service , any suggestions, for example I've heard mention Midwest Photo but I've never used them for CLA's.   I'm in Northern California.

rifz:
if you buy used, bring a flashlight to look in the lens, it's amazing how much more you see with a light. if it's dusty you can ask for a lower price and if you see fungus don't buy it. It only takes one holiday to humid place for fungus to start growing and I think it can spread to your other lens by way of your camera and bag..

I used to buy used local, but now I buy new from here, and find it cheaper than used, I was worried at first buying online but after 3 lenses and a body I've saved a ton of money and it has warranty, it would be a pain it the ass to ship it back but at least it's a option.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version