July 29, 2014, 11:55:31 PM

Author Topic: Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?  (Read 5089 times)

chabotc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Google+
Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
Like many members of canonrumors I'm super eager to get my hands on the new 1D mk V if/when it's announced.

But I also know it takes a while to get from announcement to general availability - so I'm wondering what your tactic has been to get one as soon as possible?

Order it from canon direct? Amazon? Local camera shops?

Canon 5D Mark III and a big bag of primes

canon rumors FORUM

Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy the to be announced body(s)?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »
I buy my gear from B&H 90% of the time.  For a new body or lens, they will allow pre-orders at some point.  i pre-order from them as soon as that's available.  You can always cancel that later if you find it someplace earlier.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
BH

red5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
B&H is a great place.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
I LOVE B&H. Great service and return policy, but I think the main reason I buy a good majority of my stuff is because they have by FAR, the best website of any camera dealers. It's so easy to find things and navigate. Makes a huge difference and ultimately makes you buy more.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
I've gotten most of my stuff from Adorama.

Online, B&H and Adorama are just about interchangeable in terms of links from the top enthusiast sites.

yankidank

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Gene, what makes B&H better than Adorama's website? I prefer Adorama's site because they make it easy to sort things. I tend to split my purchases between B&H, Adorama, or Amazon. I only go with Amazon when tax or shipping are an issue (Prime membership). B&H seems to always undercut the other two by a couple bucks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
BH but sometimes Adorama if they have a better shipping deal.  Small matter but BH will debit your credit card upon an order (I don't think pre-orders) and Adorama doesn't until it ships.  Sometimes they both take many vacations so this can sometimes be more than a week depending upon the time of the year.  I know this is a small matter.  I do think keeping competition is always good for the consumer.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
When I went to get my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS and a EF Extender 2x III, I had just enough money available in PayPal to buy the lens - hadn't factored in shipping.  The extender came from Adorama (via eBay) and the lens was from Beach Camera actually (also off eBay, and they were doing free shipping - not as good a deal as some others I heard people getting via call-in offers, but still a better deal than paying price and shipping).

So actually that's a fairly decent alternative - plus eBay is very familiar to me and they have a good process.  With any of these sites it's not my expectation you'd need to rely on PayPal or eBay for consumer protection, though it's nice to have that additional option.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »
Just don't get too excited and loose money to some scam.

It's not unusual to see any hot item for sale on ebay or craigslist long before its available, and while it might be someone who got a hold of a pre production version, it could also just be a scam.

B&H is going to have the item as fast or faster than anyone else, and is just a good safe way to make this kind of purchase.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:34:09 PM »
I used to shop BH all the time until I started shopping Adorama.  Dont ask my why but adorama just comes to mind quicker than BH so when I do pricing, they tend to go in my browser first.  I've had great service with both companies however be aware of their holiday schedules, especially any time september or after.  Both take frequent holidays and especially around christmas has a cut-off in which if you need equipment quickly and miss that cut off, they wont ship until they get back from their holiday which can really get you in a bind.  I missed that cut off 2 years ago and needed gear quick... had to pay out the nose at a local store so I had what I needed for a paying photo shoot. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »
I've shopped Adorama since the 1970s and have never had a problem. I do sometimes buy from B&H and have no complaints about them either.

One thing though, seems like some people posting on this site are confused about both companies' holiday schedules. Both firms are Orthodox and honor the Jewish religious holidays and schedules. They shut down at sundown on Friday for the Sabbath and don't open up again until Sunday. They also observe holy days, so if you know you are going to be ordering something that is time-critical, it doesn't hurt to take a look at the calendar to check for Jewish holidays that might interfere. Keep in mind that the holiday begins at sunset the day before.

Adorama will usually take an order on a Saturday, but it won't get processed or packaged up until after the Sabbath. Not sure about B&H. Ordering early on a Friday or waiting until Sunday can speed things up a bit.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

rocketdesigner

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
Shopping a clearance house like Amazon is somewhat shaky ground, as they do not necessarily get their products direct from the OEM like B & H.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
it might be someone who got a hold of a pre production version, it could also just be a scam.
Now are you talking from experience or just repeating things you heard on the Internet?  And an unlabeled "preproduction" item sale would certainly also be a scam, not just against the buyer but against the original maker who obviously has a stake in (if not a binding agreement for) getting their review copies back.  The heavy use, scuffs, and general wear from transportation such items usually have would weigh heavily against the soundness of purchasing one for daily use (not to mention the potential problems explaining how you came to own a stolen piece of equipment) count against the neatness factor for having something that may differ from the production item (probably not in any meaningful way).

(For what it's worth I saw a EOS-3 on sale the other day that was claimed to be shown at PMA 2007 or some such, shame I didn't have money to burn as it was a nice example of the camera.  And at least once I have bought a prototype item from eBay, though not from Canon, and it was indeed a prototype.)

Shopping a clearance house like Amazon is somewhat shaky ground, as they do not necessarily get their products direct from the OEM like B & H.
How then does Amazon get brand-new items, if not from the OEM?  They have their own warehouses.  The only concern I've had about Amazon is that listings might differ from one to the other - one might be for Amazon selling the item, and another might be for somebody else's sale.  I haven't seen any indication that low-quality sellers are being let loose on Amazon to scam people, though.  The only advice is the general "look at the actual listing to see what's included" and don't buy used unless you're willing to take just a bare, used item.

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

I frequently shop from amazon for camera gear.  I would not call Amazon shaky.  In fact, I have never received a grey market item from Amazon (though one of their resellsers did send me a grey market battery grip; but it was clear that the sale was from a partner).  No offense, but I think you have come very close to libeling Amazon.  I would have no problem recomending Amazon as a retailer to anyone looking to buy.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »