October 30, 2014, 09:27:11 AM

Author Topic: A New Large Sensor PowerShot Coming [CR1]  (Read 17792 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: A New Large Sensor PowerShot Coming [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »
"It's called Direct Mode."

And that is what I described above, clearly you haven't used the device about which you preach. I have.

"Your [sic] incredibly naive and presumptious [sic] to even think that a phone camera will do better than a Good P&S ."

I didn't, what I said was given your pathetic excuse for an imaginary scenario I would get the scoop, CNN, NYT, etc wouldn't give a damn if the dragon riding shark was shot with an iPhone or a G15, the first one to get the images to them would be the one. Similarly, if I unexpectedly bump into some long missed friend in a cafe in BKK completely by coincidence (true story), I wouldn't care if the image to remember the event was a bad grainy phone image or a slightly less grainy P&S image, for ShitFace and MyBlog they are both equally adaquate.

U mad Bro? It's apparent that I'm not the only one here who's factually disputed your arguments in this hypothetical scenario. :o

Sorry in this factual discussion about dragon riding sharks I missed something! Duh!

Like I have said, this is all beyond silly, I fail to see how anybody who regularly extols the dramatic benefits of a 135 f1.8 over a 135 f2 or 100 f2.8 can possibly stand up against my opening comment, "a 100mm f13 is nothing too exciting", but like your other threads, you believe if you shout loud enough and long enough you are right.

Whatever. You guys enjoy your 100mm f13 with noise like its shot through a sieve, I have better things to do than point out your contradictions.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
"It's called Direct Mode."

And that is what I described above, clearly you haven't used the device about which you preach. I have.

"Your [sic] incredibly naive and presumptious [sic] to even think that a phone camera will do better than a Good P&S ."

I didn't, what I said was given your pathetic excuse for an imaginary scenario I would get the scoop, CNN, NYT, etc wouldn't give a damn if the dragon riding shark was shot with an iPhone or a G15, the first one to get the images to them would be the one. Similarly, if I unexpectedly bump into some long missed friend in a cafe in BKK completely by coincidence (true story), I wouldn't care if the image to remember the event was a bad grainy phone image or a slightly less grainy P&S image, for ShitFace and MyBlog they are both equally adaquate.

U mad Bro? It's apparent that I'm not the only one here who's factually disputed your arguments in this hypothetical scenario. :o

Sorry in this factual discussion about dragon riding sharks I missed something! Duh!

Like I have said, this is all beyond silly, I fail to see how anybody who regularly extols the dramatic benefits of a 135 f1.8 over a 135 f2 or 100 f2.8 can possibly stand up against my opening comment, "a 100mm f13 is nothing too exciting", but like your other threads, you believe if you shout loud enough and long enough you are right.

Whatever. You guys enjoy your 100mm f13 with noise like its shot through a sieve, I have better things to do than point out your contradictions.

I fail to see how anyone as stubborn as yourself, who not only refuses to understand the point made by not only myself but several other users, continues to strive on about 1000% magnification and how the gear is the most important to getting an image. Its strange how you'll never use a P&S but yet, continue to post on about them in a thread about P&S.

I rest my case, other users can clearly discern enough from these posts who is really using the equipment.

hgraf

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Herbert Graf Photography
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
It might power up faster from off, but when is a cellphone off? Taking a picture with one is much quicker than using a P&S if you are confronted with a dragon riding shark.

OMG, seriously? Fine, I'll feed this last piece of troll food just to make you happy:

by "off", I meant standby. To take my phone, press the power button, swipe it to activate the "camera" app EASILY takes as long, if not longer then pressing the actual "power" button on my P&S and waiting for it to be ready to take a picture.

I can do both in about the same amount of time. I just tried it. My P&S was ready to take a picture in about 1.5 seconds (hard to time more accurately then that). My smartphone took about 2 seconds. Both pretty meaningless it total time and IMHO equivalent.

With a response like what you just gave me, I've decided that you are trolling. As such, I will no longer "debate" with you. To others: please don't feed the trolls.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
And once again both of you fall into the trap of worrying about irrelevant side issues that you yourselves raised.

Which of you disputes my original point, "a 100mm f13 equivalent lens is nothing to get too excited about" , and why?

@hgraf,

You don't see the paradox of you extolling the virtues of a P&S over a phone using exactly the same metrics, faster, more responsive, better IQ etc, that I used to dismiss the P&S output most of the time, for my use, when compared to a DSLR? Comical.

Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Back to original post, I think that sounds great. I would love an upgrade for my S100. Pocketable, faster AF and higher resolution then I am likely to ask my wife get me one for Christmas.

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
I wonder how this camera will compare against an EOS M with a similar lens configuration?

This would be an interesting Head-to-Head.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
Canon follows Nikon's step?? Well Done!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
There was a quote from a Canon-Japan guy that he still though the S100 (or one in that series) was huge.  That's great news to me because my Elph 500 HS is a great size and still f/2 at the wide end, but with a smaller sensor and the lens is slow at the long end.  If they could manage a high-end compact in a size smaller than the S100 (like the size - and shape - of my Elph), that would be interesting.  But I do need some zoom range.  The 24-105 range on my Elph is pretty nice.

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »
I am a professional photographer who loves small P&S cameras, my favorite being the Contax T3.

I have used multiple Canon S70, G9, G10 and S95 to shoot catalogs, magazine covers  and a huge portion of my personal projects.

While I was able to make good images using these small cameras and I in fact earned thousands and thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars using these P&S cameras, at this point in time I wish I had been able to use a compact camera with a bigger sensor. The P&S images simply lack dynamic range, high ISO capability and there is essentially no control over DOF.

Even the MFT sensor in my Panasonic GF1leaves me wanting for more.

In terms of ISO, I never shot the S70 or G9 above the base ISO as anything above that looked horrible. The S95 I allow to creep a little higher. Even the GF1 above 800 is terrible. I say this despite the fact that I love these cameras.

While I do have an iPhone 5 I do not consider it to be a serious camera under any circumstances other than an emergency. That said I use it's camera daily, specially for images I plan on emailing or using on Instagram.

At this point in time I believe the Nikon A is the best camera for my needs (large sensor, flash, wide angle lens... as I don't care about zooms, flip screens or viewfinders).

If Canon releases a simple, straightforward APS version of something like an S110 without purposely crippling it in fear of it's dSLR sales it would hopefully be a very tempting camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »