July 25, 2014, 07:22:53 PM

Author Topic: Color Bombs Kill Cameras  (Read 9803 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Color Bombs Kill Cameras
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
http://thecolorrun.com/about/

It's a shame it's so hazardous to the camera and lens, looks like a really photogenic event.  Maybe my old G10 in the underwater case might survive...

Oh so that is what those are. I saw some pics of some friends from a race splashed with all sorts of crazy colors. I thought they rolled around in paint but color bombs was it I guess.

Ironic that the site says "is a unique paint race that celebrates healthiness, happiness, individuality, and giving back to the community." while ruining expensive personal property and 'increasing' health by destroying the lungs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

This past Holi in India I surmised as much (even though my friends told me there was nothing to worry as my lenses had weather-sealing). Didn't take my DSLR along and took shots with the iPhone.

A couple of my friends took a chance and one lens had to be cleaned extensively while one was toast. It felt kind of stupid. People are so worried by dust / sand and are least bothered with the Holi colors which are exceptionally fine and will work their way in the tiniest of places.
Light is language!

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
Going near anything "dusty" just cant be good for a camera.

Its a perfect situation for the 1200mm :)

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

This past Holi in India I surmised as much (even though my friends told me there was nothing to worry as my lenses had weather-sealing). Didn't take my DSLR along and took shots with the iPhone.

A couple of my friends took a chance and one lens had to be cleaned extensively while one was toast. It felt kind of stupid. People are so worried by dust / sand and are least bothered with the Holi colors which are exceptionally fine and will work their way in the tiniest of places.

Well I took my 1Dc this year to the holi festival here in utah. I put my 28-105 lens on it (a lens i don't care about) I had a uv filter on it. I put the whole camera in a ziplock bags and tape and a rubber band on the lens. Everything came back just fine no problems. Given I was only there for a few hours and kept my lens pretty clean.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:00 AM »
Useful information ... thanks for posting.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
So, seems to be a lot of mis-conceptions here.

The powder is cornstarch with food coloring. Unless you have a food coloring allergy, respiratory issues or are allergic to corn there isn't much to worry about. I have shot 3-4 of these for my local paper and two for the company that runs them and feel just fine afterwards. A painters mask reduces the amount you inhale by quite a large margin. If you want to filter it all out you will need a good respirator.

There is little to no risk to your camera and lens as long as you play it smart. Camera covers work great and this is the one time I do use a UV filter. 1Dx + ttp Hydrophobia (I am working on modding the front end with a 77mm filter so it screws on and seals even better) +70-200 and 77mm Filter, never seen ANY dust on or in the lens. For my 24-70 I use a similar setup and a 2nd body, again filters go a long way. I have seen other photographers use underwater covers and they work well, just blow them off (DO NOT use water) with an air compressor and you will be fine. Water makes a huge mess out of the stuff.

They are fun events, and the photos always turn out very very good. Just be smart, think about what you are doing and your gear will be fine. I worry more about shooting kayaking or skiing then a color event~

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:02 AM »
Looks like a very photographic event, but I found one of the videos on their site a little disturbing. One of the "officials" was wearing a face mask across his mouth and nose when throwing out the color powder, but the runners were all breathing that stuff.
Sounds like a recipe for problems, which then is demonstrated through the possible equipment damage. Gadgets can be replaced, lungs and other vital organs are a little harder to come by.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:02 AM »

CanNotYet

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »
Olympus Tough series? Supposedly dust-proof. And you can rinse them under the tap afterwards. :)

My Tough 610 had no problems whatsoever being dunked in saltwater. Just rinse with fresh water after. Awesome camera.

crasher8

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »
I have an issue with the posts which say that's it's 'no problem' IF you buy this and that………obviously missing the point of the post. Radiation is no problem if you buy this and that as well.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
Looks like a very photographic event, but I found one of the videos on their site a little disturbing. One of the "officials" was wearing a face mask across his mouth and nose when throwing out the color powder, but the runners were all breathing that stuff.
Sounds like a recipe for problems, which then is demonstrated through the possible equipment damage. Gadgets can be replaced, lungs and other vital organs are a little harder to come by.

It's cornstarch, it dissolves quickly. It'd be a different thing if it was silicone based powder as that would sit in the lungs forever.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
I would stay as far away as possible. Cameras can be replaced easily, lungs can not.

One of my friends is big into spinning wool and uses Kool-Aid to dye the wool. That's right.... Kool-Aid.... the powder that people mix to make drinks for their children.... the same stuff that's approved for human consumption... It makes vibrant colors that will not wash out... just imagine what it does to your insides :(

Just because doing something is not banned (dousing crowds with fine powder) does not make it a good idea.
The best camera is the one in your hands

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
I represent the lawfirm of Bruckner and Weaselbomb.

Have you or a loved one suffered from the ill-effects of The Color Run (TM)?  Have you lost equipment? Sneezed rainbows? Peed blue?

We can help.  Call us today for your free consultation. 

You may be entitled of a cash settlement for de-pigmenting procedures.

We also handle people who are stupid enough . . . err . . . bullied into eating cinnamon.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »
So, seems to be a lot of mis-conceptions here.

The powder is cornstarch with food coloring. Unless you have a food coloring allergy, respiratory issues or are allergic to corn there isn't much to worry about. I have shot 3-4 of these for my local paper and two for the company that runs them and feel just fine afterwards. A painters mask reduces the amount you inhale by quite a large margin. If you want to filter it all out you will need a good respirator.

It's cornstarch, it dissolves quickly. It'd be a different thing if it was silicone based powder as that would sit in the lungs forever.

I wouldn't go leaping to conclusions that just because it's corn, it's safe...

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/21/4/646.full
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
Boy, everyone is on the fine particle band wagon today.

Corn starch is biodegrabable.  It will become dissolved in the body, and eventually processed out. 

Saw dust, asbetos, brake pad powder are not.  They are bad for your lungs. 

I don't know what they use in India, but at the color run by us last year it was all essetnially food coloring. 

I'm still not sure I want to bring my DSLR though....

-Brian

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
I would stay as far away as possible. Cameras can be replaced easily, lungs can not.

One of my friends is big into spinning wool and uses Kool-Aid to dye the wool. That's right.... Kool-Aid.... the powder that people mix to make drinks for their children.... the same stuff that's approved for human consumption... It makes vibrant colors that will not wash out... just imagine what it does to your insides :(

Just because doing something is not banned (dousing crowds with fine powder) does not make it a good idea.

I don't see any LensRental policy on Kool-Aid, but a word to the wise...

If you mix Lime and Grape, it comes out like a chemistry experiment gone bad.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »