December 20, 2014, 06:54:53 AM

Author Topic: Color Bombs Kill Cameras  (Read 11176 times)

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Color Bombs Kill Cameras
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
Saw dust is biodegradable too ... it's the size of the particle that is worrisome.

Note the size for corn-starch and the definition of "respirable dust".
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/particle-sizes-d_934.html
"Respirable Dust: Particles that will penetrate into the gas exchange region of the lungs. A hazardous particulate size less than 5 microns. Particle sizes of 2.5 micron (PM2.5) are often used in USA."

Just like radiation - the health risk is based on amount and duration of exposure.

- Another Brian

Boy, everyone is on the fine particle band wagon today.

Corn starch is biodegrabable.  It will become dissolved in the body, and eventually processed out. 

Saw dust, asbetos, brake pad powder are not.  They are bad for your lungs. 

I don't know what they use in India, but at the color run by us last year it was all essetnially food coloring. 

I'm still not sure I want to bring my DSLR though....

-Brian
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
I wouldn't go leaping to conclusions that just because it's corn, it's safe...

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/21/4/646.full

Of course you get an upregulation of the immune system in the lungs when there is a foreign material there. That is not dangerous but rather quite normal. Obviously if you have asthma (which does essentially the same) it might not be a great idea to further irritate your lungs. There are many other things I'd worry about with the lungs than exposure to a bit of starch once or twice a year.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
A underwater housing would probably help here.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:08 PM »
I have an issue with the posts which say that's it's 'no problem' IF you buy this and that………obviously missing the point of the post. Radiation is no problem if you buy this and that as well.

It's not a if you buy this or that, it is playing it smart when you use your tools or do a job. Do you use an aluminum ladder when working on electrical outlets? No, you use a fiberglass ladder (different tool) for the job. Just like cameras, you have different tools for different jobs

I have YET to have a camera or lens ruined by bad conditions I have been shooting in because I own tools that aid me in shooting in those conditions. Rain today and I have to shoot some kayaking? No problem Rain cover up and shoot. Suuuuuper hot and very sunny, I toss an umbrella onto my TTP speedbelt so I can work in the shade and keep my gear cool. Burning man? I use the same gear as I use at a color run, and that dust is MUCH more damaging to camera gear and your lungs.

Radiation is no different. You wear a lead lined suit (tool) for the job and take proper precautions for what you will be doing.

A underwater housing would probably help here.

They are great, just don't use water to clean the casing off, compressed air works wonders. My friend cleaned his with water and it turns into a slimy multicolored mess and clogs up the buttons on your housing and leaves a weird film you need to scrub off.

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »
Hate to double post, but I didn't see this thread earlier.

Check out this guy's complaint about muddy images he had just shot. The photos are of the Holi festival with the color bombs flying.

[http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread17724.htm#post210324[/url]
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
Oops!!!

I was thinking of Jello, not Kool-Aid.

I don't do Kool-Aid, don't know anything about mixing it.

But stay far away from that Jello combination; it's deadly.

I would stay as far away as possible. Cameras can be replaced easily, lungs can not.

One of my friends is big into spinning wool and uses Kool-Aid to dye the wool. That's right.... Kool-Aid.... the powder that people mix to make drinks for their children.... the same stuff that's approved for human consumption... It makes vibrant colors that will not wash out... just imagine what it does to your insides :(

Just because doing something is not banned (dousing crowds with fine powder) does not make it a good idea.

I don't see any LensRental policy on Kool-Aid, but a word to the wise...

If you mix Lime and Grape, it comes out like a chemistry experiment gone bad.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
History is full of examples of things that were supposed to be safe, but later found to be harmful or deadly. Remember Thalidomide in the late '50s or artificial butter flavoring fumes in popcorn factory workers. No one originally knew that inhaling asbestos could cause a deadly cancer. Even breathing pure oxygen over time is harmful. I wouldn't want to breathe any of that stuff into my lungs. There is already enough bad stuff in normal air pollution. Just my humble opinion. :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
I would stay as far away as possible. Cameras can be replaced easily, lungs can not.

One of my friends is big into spinning wool and uses Kool-Aid to dye the wool. That's right.... Kool-Aid.... the powder that people mix to make drinks for their children.... the same stuff that's approved for human consumption... It makes vibrant colors that will not wash out... just imagine what it does to your insides :(

Just because doing something is not banned (dousing crowds with fine powder) does not make it a good idea.

Sweater made of wool dyed with kool-aid powder. Apparently, kool-aid works better than most commercial dyes... and remember red dye #2 in food products... added to food for decades and approved by various health departments... and then they found it caused cancer...

I would not breathe in that stuff.
The best camera is the one in your hands

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
Sweater made of wool dyed with kool-aid powder. Apparently, kool-aid works better than most commercial dyes... and remember red dye #2 in food products... added to food for decades and approved by various health departments... and then they found it caused cancer...

I would not breathe in that stuff.

That's a gorgeous sweater. She can make one for me anytime!!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
Same here but i want one with a cat on it or a reindeer or sth else wicked. Breathing any kind of dust is bad always. period.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »