November 23, 2014, 01:11:16 AM

Author Topic: Wrong Photography Ethics?  (Read 39377 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Photography Ethics?
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
I found the sky boring and added clouds to make it more interesting.

Do you think this is cheating? I really want to know.

Am very confused. I have made changes but not altered nature. Have I done something wrong?

Thx

Yes you did alter nature - the sky is part of nature.

Did you do anything wrong?  What are you claiming?  If you are claiming that is the image you took, yes you are being dishonest.  If you present the picture as "art" and you can sleep at night, then you did nothing wrong.

Bottom line - two thing IMO are important.  Are you being honest about the image (if you don't claim it was as shown in the 2nd print you are fine) - but you decide where to draw the line?  And can you sleep at night?

After giving this a long hard look now I can sleep easily... :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Compositing isn't necessarily 'digital art'...may I present from 1946 http://www.creativepro.com/content/scanning-around-gene-old-way-photo-retouching

So true!!! I hope all who claim otherwise see this... Thank you..

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
As long as the photographer is not entering a competition and not breaking its rules, to me it doesn't matter what the photographer does with the image, it is his image, his vision  ...as far as I'm concerned he can remove/add whatever he wants. Those who are capable of making awesome changes/modifications will continue to do so while those who are incapable will continue to crib that it is unethical.

Appreciate the encouragement.

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:14 PM »
so what about staged shoots?  where people are placed and things moved around in the scene,  a famous one of these is the milkman doing his round during the blitz in london,a completely staged shot. forgetting the war propaganda for a moment, i wouldnt call that unethical, just a good picture.

the key here is subject matter, if your a photojournalist, no its not that ethical to photoshop aside from the basic levels, sharpness etc  but if your an artist, hell, there are no rules.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
It's when you start adding elements not in the original capture, It's no longer photography.

1. I'm rather late to this thread (but it hasn't reached the flamewar stage yet :-)), but I agree with the "adding elements" argument from RLPhoto.

The reverse means that any global adjustments and even local adjustments via ACR are ok, so if the sky from the original image of the op would have been overexposed it'd been ok to pull it down with a grad filter in LR.

One thing I'm note sure about is "repairing" small flaws in the background with ACR, it really depends on how large the impact on the general picture is - and even small layer operations like removing closed eyes of one person from a group shot with the equal part of another shot directly afterwards might be ok.

2. One argument I didn't find here is from an ad with Julia Roberts that was forced to be withdrawn because it was so heavily "beautified" that it wasn't Julia Roberts anymore, and I think in France it was feared that this is what shifts the view of what a woman is supposed to look like to an unhealthy stage.

Imho the same applies images: If everybody does it, even near-perfect "conventional" photos will look crappy - so personally I never do masks in photoshop or add foreign elements, or I wouldn't consider it an old-school "photo" anymore.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
I found the sky boring and added clouds to make it more interesting.

Do you think this is cheating? I really want to know.

Am very confused. I have made changes but not altered nature. Have I done something wrong?

Thx

That's an interesting question.

The way I see it, photography is cheating. By its own definition. It's about offering a fragment of reality from a perspective that you choose, carrying a visual message that you choose. It's not different from fiction, theatre, music, dance etc. If someone expect a pic to be a faithful reproduction of reality it's his problem, because it's like watching Harry Potter and thinking that Hogwarts actually exists.

Retouching is retouching. Making a composite, IMHO, is not ethically different from smoothening someone's skin, removing blemishes, saturating colors, etc.

You are either a purist that doesn't touch his RAW files (and who would want that?), or when you start compromising and editing then the acceptable limit of that is debatable. It actually becomes a mere matter of making sensible, tasteful retouches.

I think you are saying it better than me. Photography IS cheating. AGREE.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
I much prefer the altered image. I'm not sure the clouds were *needed*, but I like them and all the other changes, including the removal of those ugly, distracting, scruffy bushes/trees.  Cheating? Sure, if the sole point of taking a photograph is to show what you were able to make of the scene in front of you using nothing but your ability to interact with a particular lens/camera combination. 

Part of me wants to say that displaying skill/technique is part of the point of the exercise, and that adding interesting subjects and removing boring/ugly ones is as "wrong" as a recording where a pianist who hits 97 wrong notes is able to "fix" it by splicing in correct ones, or where a famous soprano's (Flagstad) high Cs were in fact sung by someone else (Schwarzkopf) and dubbed in.

Another part of me, though, wants to say that photography is different.  Leaving aside honest/accurate reporting, photography is inherently deceptive/manipulative - if you can't "improve" on reality, why bother photographing it in the first place?  The real thing looks better than any attempt at providing a neutral report of it.  For many photographers, the best lenses are those which allow the shallowest depth of field.  Why do we want them?  So we can distort reality and make it appear that the subject is surrounded, not by distracting or ugly details, but by smears of light and colour.  The same is true of wide angle lenses and long telephoto lenses - we want the distortions they provide.  Compared to what all these lenses do, removing a few ugly bushes after the fact seems rather trivial.

Yes....!!! As photographer I want to present everything the best it can be. Regards.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
I heard something on the radio yesterday - along the lines of techno electro pop fusion. It was created de novo on a computer, no instruments were used at all.  The DJ called it a song. I bet if I'd Shazam'd it, I'd have found it on iTunes.  Was it music?  Is the person who produced it a musician or a programmer?  Does it matter?

Its true, it does not matter as long as it is music to the ears. :)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
This is an interesting article from Bryan Peterson on this issue. Thought I'd share

http://bryanfpeterson.blogspot.in/2010/06/every-photograph-is-lie-yet-within-that.html
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
But it will be fabricated , it's quite hard to have 3 cheetah's pose like that in the wild ;)
I like gerryvanderwalt's view on processing nature images

https://www.youtube.com/user/gerryvanderwalt

Try The McGurk Effect! - Horizon: Is Seeing Believing? - BBC Two ( cannot find link to entire documentary, but : Is seeing believing? is a nice one from BBC horizon!)

The camera captured the image as it was through the lens, That is Photography. Editing and tweaking is allowed, but adding element that were not there invalidates that.
IE: This image is Digital art, Not Photography.

Okay, I think I've got it.  When I take a picture of a model in a bikini in front of a beech backdrop with an industrial fan blowing her hair and her head slightly turned to hide the hideous birthmark on her face and holding in her slightly out of shape gut, that's photography (and therefore honest/true) because it came thru the lens, right?

As a side note, the world has always been in color, which has always passed thru the lens, so by this definition black and white photography has never been actual photography.

Thanks for the links - very nice! And I also enjoyed your website. :)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
Once you composite images, Its no longer Photography to me.

He didn't ask whether the results of his manipulations met some definition of "photograph" but whether the manipulations he performed were unethical.  Are you saying that he can manipulate all he wants so long as he doesn't call the results "photographs"?

:)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
The camera captured the image as it was through the lens, That is Photography. Editing and tweaking is allowed, but adding element that were not there invalidates that.
IE: This image is Digital art, Not Photography.

Okay, I think I've got it.  When I take a picture of a model in a bikini in front of a beech backdrop with an industrial fan blowing her hair and her head slightly turned to hide the hideous birthmark on her face and holding in her slightly out of shape gut, that's photography (and therefore honest/true) because it came thru the lens, right?

As a side note, the world has always been in color, which has always passed thru the lens, so by this definition black and white photography has never been actual photography.

??? I will never ever believe that BW is not photography. NEVER. :)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Those who are capable of making awesome changes/modifications will continue to do so while those who are incapable will continue to crib that it is unethical.

Bingo.

Blanket statements like "compositing is not photography" don't hold up in all cases. HDR photos are composites of several shots. Are they not photography, simply because they were combined after the fact? You could have achieved the same thing if you used a grad-ND filter, so does using a filter mean the photo is 'not photography'? What difference does it make if you did the composite before the click or after?

Also, compositing doesn't always mean introducing something that wasn't there. The photo below is 3 different exposures, composited together in Photoshop. Point to the element that wasn't actually there.

Point superbly made...!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »
Some further discussion on the faked 2013 world press photo of the year......

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155617-how-the-2013-world-press-photo-of-the-year-was-faked-with-photoshop

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
Some further discussion on the faked 2013 world press photo of the year......

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155617-how-the-2013-world-press-photo-of-the-year-was-faked-with-photoshop
I don't want to prolong the life of this thread. Just wanted to clear the tarnished name of poor photographer!
Before you rush to judge, there is always more to than meets your eye.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/14/183983184/photographer-defends-prize-winning-photo-of-gaza-funeral

I just happened to see this by chance and remembered a post here. Most of the time we never bother to dig deeper before passing the muck around....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:23:22 PM by comsense »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »