July 16, 2018, 10:49:05 AM

Author Topic: Wrong Photography Ethics?  (Read 113381 times)

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
Re: Wrong Photography Ethics?
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
For Mick

These Rules apply to Nat Geo's Photographic Competition, they do not Apply to Nat Geo Photographers that are supplying Articles/Photographs that will eventually go into the Magazine, Yes, there are rules that apply to these Guys as well, but "No Manipulation at All" is not one of them.

Have you ever seen a B&W Image in a Nat Geo Magazine ?? Manipulated.

Have you ever seen a Stitched Panorama in a Nat Geo Magazine ?? Manipulated

Have you ever seen an Image that employs stacked focussing in a Nat geo Magazine ?? Manipulated

Have you ever seen an Image that's been cropped etc Saturation levels increased etc

You get the Picture I'm sure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:02:06 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »

bycostello

• EOS 5DS R
    • London Weddings
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »
the problem is actually your original composition... as you say boring sky, so why have so  much in the image

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »

If you feel your photography is exceptional and you are a top photographer, try sending your images to Nat Geo.

They only have one rule. You must send them the RAW image aswell. If its tweeked, its in the bin.

Dont believe me? Then give it a try.

so what your saying is its ok to have my raw settings, picture style/saturation/sharpness etc  set in camera, but if i zero out everything and do it in my raw converter then its not ok? 

that makes no sense to me whatsoever !

Bang on again.....

If I set up everything before the shot, then the out-of-camera jpg is acceptable.
If I take that RAW file and apply the exact same settings, it is evil.
And strangely enough, If I take that RAW file and make a B/W jpg out of it.... that's OK ?!?!?!?!?!
And all this from the magazine that publishes photos of "Bart the Bear" from Wasatch Rocky Mountain Animals as wildlife? That's like me heading of to the Papanac Zoo and shooting pictures of the wild animals.

As Spock would say.... "Highly illogical"
The best camera is the one in your hands

serendipidy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »
I wouldn't even consider this an ethical issue. Maybe, if you were to sell it under false pretenses or entered it into a contest that prohibits such manipulation. What you do with your images is your own business. I assume that ALL advertising "photography" is heavily manipulated and I don't consider that unethical. Then you have things like 'fine art photography'- ethical?  http://www.lik.com/thework/clouds-skies-stars/bella-luna.html

I never heard of Peter Lik until I watched a number of episodes about him on TV ("From the Edge With Peter Lik - The Weather Channel"). I really liked the show and his photography. Of course he did heavy PP but I still liked most of his work. A lot better than any of my photos!
EOS 5D3, EOS 7D II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

agierke

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »
if i retouch the dust spots out of my image is it no longer a photo?

i am simply stunned at the absurdity of this thread with so many people trying to tell everyone what is and isn't photography. its a pretty pointless exercise. ask yourselves this....who appointed you (in the general sense) the definer of the medium of photography and why should anyone listen?

art and photography are not mutually exclusive.

5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »

i am simply stunned at the absurdity of this thread with so many people trying to tell everyone what is and isn't photography. its a pretty pointless exercise. ask yourselves this....who appointed you (in the general sense) the definer of the medium of photography and why should anyone listen?

I enjoy this thread, it's a perfectly valid question from Sanj to the forum members and I think the discussion has developed nicely. It's fun to try to define this and also to some extent important. At least that's my view.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:56 AM »

I enjoy this thread, it's a perfectly valid question from Sanj to the forum members and I think the discussion has developed nicely. It's fun to try to define this and also to some extent important. At least that's my view.

I agree, totally.

And it's a CR Forum thread, you don't "listen" you read.

Plus if the thread & comments/advice contained within don't meet with your particular brand of principals, then just move on to a thread/topic you do enjoy, and feel free to comment.

The Op asked for advise/Comments, with one or two exceptions the majority of Posters have done their best to assist the Op in what he asked and done so in a Positive manner, for you to define all the Posters here as absurd, is absurd.

And yes, at times these Threads drift off topic, but it's the nature of the beast when your dealing with individuals that have different views on how to answer the original query.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:22:04 AM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:56 AM »

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Hello!
Finally I have some time to comment on what I learnt in this thread.
I have read all thoughts very carefully and repeatedly on my cell while working but did not reply as I find it very difficult to do so on the phone.

I have concluded:
1. The moment we pick up the camera to take a photograph we CERTAINLY manipulate reality by:
Framing: We decide what we capture. This can never be what our eyes see. We select what we photograph. An am so glad we do this or else there would not be a point of view in a photograph.
2. Exposure: We decide what goes black and what goes white. We do not represent things exactly as they were. We create our own drama.
3. F stop: We throw background out of focus to isolate our subjects.
4. Shutter speed: We create subject or camera blur and enhance motion. Or we freeze it. Reality is rarely represented here.
5. External light source: We using lighting to enhance textures, create mood or simply lighten up darkness. M a n i p u l a t i o n!
6. We enhance our photos in post: We add/subtract colors, we re-frame, we blur, we sharpen, we remove sensor dust.
(This list is incomplete and you all know that.)

SO FAR THERE ARE NO CONCERNS ABOUT ANYTHING INCLUDING ETHICS MY MOST.

BUT..

The moment we add something to the frame or remove it (even if it could have been there) MANY find that wrong. In my case the clouds very well could have been there but since I added them I did a bad thing.

To ME, since photography is manipulation of reality in ALL cases, adding the clouds (after reading comments on this thread) is not something wrong as I just made the photo look better.

Thx. Now let me try to address some comments individually....

sanj

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »
I would have kept the trees.  Modifying the image to suit you is fine, but don't enter it into any contests.  Selling it is ok as well, but I'd disclose the modifications.

I tried keeping the trees but found it technically difficult to mask them out. My limitations. And yes, I will not enter it into contests, do not think it is that great even with the added clouds. :) Thx!

sanj

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
Do what you want but imho I appreciate you sharing that you did 'shop' it instead of trying to pull it off as an in camera sky.

Thank you. But I am not sure if someone ever wanted to buy this (doubt that) I may not have the heart to say that the clouds are added as would not want to spoil my first sale ever... lol.

sanj

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:12 AM »
I would have kept the trees.  Modifying the image to suit you is fine, but don't enter it into any contests.  Selling it is ok as well, but I'd disclose the modifications.

+1

Nature image competitions generally allow only cropping and 'global' adjustments (contrast, sharpening, etc.), and nothing 'from the hand of man' (fences, airplane contrails in the sky, etc.).

Yes sir will not. However I feel that photography, by it's very nature, is 'from the hand of man'. Thank you John.

sanj

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
I found the sky boring and added clouds to make it more interesting.

Do you think this is cheating? I really want to know.

Am very confused. I have made changes but not altered nature. Have I done something wrong?

Thx

Cheating?  Photography = "painting with light", so IMHO, that's like asking if Picasso cheated because he used 2 different brush types on the same painting.  Compose, create, and modify as much as you like.  However, if you tell someone it's out of camera that way, that would be a lie.  Still not cheating, though.  ;-)

Heck, even "out of camera" can even be a lie these days, with cameras having in-camera HDR and other various effects options.  Does it really matter whether the computer is in the camera itself or on your desktop?

After giving it lots of thought, I totally totally agree with you. :)

sanj

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
I personally do not mind it. I do mind people who have double standards on it. It is ok for photographer A to remove this and that and "Photoshop" it to death but photographer B cannot do the same just because.

When posting respect the community standards or contest rules.

Yes Dolina entering it into a competition where compositing is not accepted would indeed in unethical!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »

sanj

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
Once you composite images, Its no longer Photography to me.

I politely disagree. It certainly is photography, but it may just be misrepresenting things. But that is the fundamental core of photography - no matter what kind.

sanj

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
Looks great to me.

Personally I wouldn't photoshop to this extent, mostly because I like to push myself to see what I can get in in camera, but I don't think it goes against photography ethics as long as you don't try to hide the fact it's modified to this degree.

There will be many opinions on this but IMO as long as you feel comfortable with it and can stand behind it with integrity then run with it.

Thank you! Trust me Iholmes I do my very best I push myself VERY hard. But if I can enhance a photo later (I certainly do not want to make compositing a habit) I will not miss a chance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »