July 28, 2014, 12:45:32 AM

Author Topic: Membership Approval Now Required  (Read 8938 times)

junkwerks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Membership Approval Now Required
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Do I look phony?  Yes, actually I do. But I am not a spam bot.

It is a serious problem. Hope a way is found to lighten the admin load. Maybe a series of questions that reasonably intelligent individuals could figure out how to answer.   

Oh,  never mind...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »

We will not approve membership if the account name looks like a advertisement, is a e-mail address, or just sounds phoney,  It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

This is way too subjective and what may be an advertisement / email / phoney to you may just be perfect for someone else. Compound this by the fact that the username will be rejected after one day I doubt a genuine user who is rejected will bother to try again (I certainly wouldn't, but that's just me).

IMHO a captcha is a better idea as suggested above.

You'd be surprised how non-ambiguous some of the attempts are...

khlhkjh001
khlhkjh002
khlhkjh003
khlhkjh999

All signed up in a matter of minutes from the same IP address.

Usernames that are obvious spam URLs...

And also the people that set up sock-puppet accounts.

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Please do not delete me. I am human not bot and never send any spams.

And by the way my screen name is the reverse of my actual surname.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:59:58 AM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
I mod on a forum and we were hit recently with tons of spambots and spammers.  Admin had not updated the captcha and question.  After those two things were done we have had a lot less spam issues.  The time taken to review the names before approval will cut back the spammers even more.
Sucks but is necessary.  Good job.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
I appreciate being told about this. If I recommend this forum to someone, I can let them know in advance they have a gate to go through -- no big deal.

My hat's off to those of you dealing with the barrage of assaults by those who want to prey on the community here. Thanks!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
Well, as an already registered user I don't mind this, but why are you not implementing a Q&A process? Ask a specific question during the sign-up and tell the users that the answer is on your help site and not on the register page. Anybody answering that question correctly will have been a human and not a bot. Should weed out quite a bit of the bots. (Got rid of 99.99% of all SPAM accounts on my two forums)
Those who sign up must answer two questions.  Robots unfortunately know this and have a ton of questions and answers programmed in to them.  They are always one step ahead.

There are huge halls full of people working for spam companies who do nothing but create accounts.  I mentioned Robots, but its those human assisted robots that are the issue.

They concentrate on the larger web sites because that's where the exposure is.

We have other measures taken that keep them from posting, but they are loading up the server with almost 1/2 million user accounts, and 90% of the online users were spammers.  That's already down to 10% or less.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Sorry you have to do this.  You could charge a nominal fee, $1, to deter the spammers.  Not sure if many people would be  not enroll based upon the fee.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Sorry you have to do this.  You could charge a nominal fee, $1, to deter the spammers.  Not sure if many people would be  not enroll based upon the fee.
I wouldn't shy away from spending a dollar, but I'd hate to hand out my personal data to every forum I'd want to talk on. For that reason: no thanks :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Thanks for keeping this site as "clean" as possible.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »

+1 Thank you administrators and moderators. You're doing a really good job.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »

+1 Thank you administrators and moderators. You're doing a really good job.
+10,000,000 and more.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Fair enough ... but a day for approval? :-\

It's usually more like an hour or two max.

And the only person I've rejected so far was someone that already had two accounts, and for some reason felt the need to sign up for a third.
I've wondered about that.... how can one tell if it is someone with two accounts or two people who use the same computer... husband/wife/partner/kids.....

I've resisted the urge to get two accounts.... but if I did I could argue with myself and always win :)

Seriously though, you do a great job of keeping the forum clean. It is a generally thankless task, so let me be one of those saying that they appreciate the work you do.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »

We will not approve membership if the account name looks like a advertisement, is a e-mail address, or just sounds phoney,  It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

This is way too subjective and what may be an advertisement / email / phoney to you may just be perfect for someone else. Compound this by the fact that the username will be rejected after one day I doubt a genuine user who is rejected will bother to try again (I certainly wouldn't, but that's just me).

IMHO a captcha is a better idea as suggested above.

Of course, we use captcha. 

With human assisted spambots, its no barrier, and most robots read it as well.  Those who think captcha is fool proof are out of date, 10 years out.  Captcha is like a screen on the front end, each step filters out a few potential spammers.  We don't reject someone unless their user name is clearly out of line.  Rules are not posted just to help spammers get around them.

We check new signups for duplicate ip's, internet providers, and a warning pops up if they have been banned before.  Its far from fool proof, just another screen to filter out what we can.

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
Well, as an already registered user I don't mind this, but why are you not implementing a Q&A process? Ask a specific question during the sign-up and tell the users that the answer is on your help site and not on the register page. Anybody answering that question correctly will have been a human and not a bot. Should weed out quite a bit of the bots. (Got rid of 99.99% of all SPAM accounts on my two forums)
Those who sign up must answer two questions.  Robots unfortunately know this and have a ton of questions and answers programmed in to them.  They are always one step ahead.

There are huge halls full of people working for spam companies who do nothing but create accounts.  I mentioned Robots, but its those human assisted robots that are the issue.

They concentrate on the larger web sites because that's where the exposure is.

We have other measures taken that keep them from posting, but they are loading up the server with almost 1/2 million user accounts, and 90% of the online users were spammers.  That's already down to 10% or less.

Well as soon as you hit real humans you are of course facing serious issues. I just did a quick trial register to see the questions you have and those are way to easy to answer. You must ask a question that cannot be answered from being on the registration page! You have to force the user to go to your help page to get the answer. That adds an additional step that is a huge problem for bots and even throws a wrench into SPAM-humans. Alternate the Q&A on a regular basis and I am very confident that you will loose most of the SPAM registration.
It's very easy to do for the one time registration a real user does but seriously adds overhead to any sort of automation.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »