April 16, 2014, 10:08:01 PM

Author Topic: If buying last standalone CS6: Mac or Windows version for longevity?  (Read 3251 times)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: If buying last standalone CS6: Mac or Windows version for longevity?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
Digital rot is much faster on OS X than Windows. Apple gleefully obsoletes API's and releases code that breaks old applications. On the flip side PS is probably the most stable application on OS X as Apple probably tests it before release, and also tacitly supports is going forward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »

camlars

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
I don't have a version of PS, I was gearing up to buy CS6 Production Suite when all this hit.

So far, I've not run into any performance issues running anything in my VM. Heck, I've run things like the Labview programming environment in VM with Win7, and my mac doesn't even seem to feel the hit at all.
Is PS more resource intensive than say, running Davinci Resolve? Granted, Resolve isn't in the VM, but I've had it running as the same time as VM of Win7 with apps running in it, and there doesn't seem to be any perceptible performance hit.

Is it 'well known' that PS doesn't work well with a VM?

Just curious....I've not had any problems running stuff in VM so far....

I've got a macbook pro (late 2011 model), maxed out cor i7 processor for that model, and 16GB ram. Would that still not be enough to run PS in a VM of Win7 in your opinion?

IMO it is 'well known' that all resource intensive apps runs slower in a VM than as native apps.

If you are working with a Photoshop tool and it lags even a little extra because you are running it in a VM it will be a pain to work with.

Since you are not already using PS, why not just try out Pixelmator for a while instead? It is not Photoshop, but it is cheap and pretty good.

But really, the best option would be to take a deep breath, relax, rid yourself of the subscription fear and subscribe to Adobe CC. If you were planning on getting the Production Premium you want to edit video as well, right? Adobe CC is a pretty good deal if you use PS + Premiere + LR. Buying the boxed version might allow you use it indefinitely, but in a few years time you probably don't want to...

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
I don't have a version of PS, I was gearing up to buy CS6 Production Suite when all this hit.

So far, I've not run into any performance issues running anything in my VM. Heck, I've run things like the Labview programming environment in VM with Win7, and my mac doesn't even seem to feel the hit at all.
Is PS more resource intensive than say, running Davinci Resolve? Granted, Resolve isn't in the VM, but I've had it running as the same time as VM of Win7 with apps running in it, and there doesn't seem to be any perceptible performance hit.

Is it 'well known' that PS doesn't work well with a VM?

Just curious....I've not had any problems running stuff in VM so far....

I've got a macbook pro (late 2011 model), maxed out cor i7 processor for that model, and 16GB ram. Would that still not be enough to run PS in a VM of Win7 in your opinion?

IMO it is 'well known' that all resource intensive apps runs slower in a VM than as native apps.

If you are working with a Photoshop tool and it lags even a little extra because you are running it in a VM it will be a pain to work with.

Since you are not already using PS, why not just try out Pixelmator for a while instead? It is not Photoshop, but it is cheap and pretty good.

But really, the best option would be to take a deep breath, relax, rid yourself of the subscription fear and subscribe to Adobe CC. If you were planning on getting the Production Premium you want to edit video as well, right? Adobe CC is a pretty good deal if you use PS + Premiere + LR. Buying the boxed version might allow you use it indefinitely, but in a few years time you probably don't want to...
Well, thing is. I refuse to rent software, plain and simple.
I don't rent other things like music or videos of things I want to keep, and use as I see fit. I buy CD's for my music, bluerays for the few videos I want to keep, etc.

I'll buy the last CS6 suite I can get.

These days, hardware is becoming quite cheap and powerful, and running things in VMs is so easy today....most people buy modern computers and barely ever strain the CPUs or utilize all their RAM or GPUs.

This isn't just about this Adobe change. I refuse to be a consumer in this fashion for any software.

From what I've seen so far on Pixelmator from their tutorials, it doesn't appears to be nearly as sophisticated of a tool as PS. It *is* only $15, so I'll likely get it to play with, but I want PS to have to work with plugins I already have like the NIK software ones, etc.

I'll get the last one, and just use it for years to come till something else happens, either Adobe changes from renting software or till a competitor comes up that is up to PS level.

I'm seriously guessing, this move by Adobe will open that market up now.

And yes....corporations DO change their minds.

The dismal acceptance of Windows 8 comes to mind, and there are already rumblings of MS's next version reverting back to what customers want, the regular desktop instead of the 'metro' paradigm that the majority of people have balked at.

The consumer can still vote with their wallets.....it still does work.

So, whining is not a bad thing, if you don't want it, and enough people don't buy it...they WILL listen.

cayenne

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
Well, thing is. I refuse to rent software, plain and simple.
I don't rent other things like music or videos of things I want to keep, and use as I see fit. I buy CD's for my music, bluerays for the few videos I want to keep, etc.

I'll buy the last CS6 suite I can get.

These days, hardware is becoming quite cheap and powerful, and running things in VMs is so easy today....most people buy modern computers and barely ever strain the CPUs or utilize all their RAM or GPUs.

This isn't just about this Adobe change. I refuse to be a consumer in this fashion for any software.
I don't believe in renting software either (especially at those prices), so I'll probably go down the same path and buy the last boxed version of CS6.

The thing I do rent though, is music - but that's because it really does save me a small fortune.  My premium monthly membership for Spotify costs me about half the price of a new-release CD, and I'll listen to literally dozens of albums every month, on multiple devices.  If I like a particular album a lot, I'll buy the CD (for the lossless audio quality and versatility of the format)...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »