August 01, 2014, 12:43:53 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!  (Read 16575 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Check this info out. Quite shocking what's in that new license agreement.

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agreement.html

canon rumors FORUM

Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

pete.koehn

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
Man I'm glad I've got CS6! What a joke!

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »
I bet if you read the license agreement of most of the other software, you'll be very surprised to know it's not only Adobe who owns you.

DFM

• Power Shot G16
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
Most of the extracts quoted in that article are from the Adobe General Terms of Use (GTU), which have been in place for years and were last updated in 2012. The specific product EULAs for the CC versions of Adobe's products will be posted when they go on sale.

The GTU are tied to the creation of an AdobeID, which is a free email-address-linked account on Adobe's network. Although you need an AdobeID to use Creative Cloud and purchase subscriptions, it also gives access to a bunch of other things unrelated to your purchases (such as the profiles people can create on the Adobe forums, and 2GB of free cloud storage), so many people have an AdobeID without ever buying any software. The GTU therefore also cover the types of files you can post to Adobe's servers and the limits of acceptable behavior within the network. For example it's perfectly sensible to allow action to be taken against someone using the cloud storage service to distribute war3z, someone who creates an account on Behance with the username "DisneyStudios", or a user who stalks someone via the forums. You'll find the same routes to action in the EULAs for any online service, from Gmail to Office 365. The phrase 'may...' does not mean 'will...'

If there are specific things you'd like clarification on, please ask.

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ramon.  Even before your post, I had decided I would have nothing to do with CC.  I'm currently on LR4 and PS CS5.  My intent is to get the PS CS6 perpetual license upgrade and call it done on PS unless they relent in the future and provide upgrades via perpetual licence.  I will continue to upgrade LR via perpetual licence as long as they make it available and it meets my needs.  If LR goes CC only in the future, I will move to Capture One.  In fact if I hadn't invested so much time learning and becoming skilled at LR, I would move to Capture One now because I think it is a better raw converter.  But I'll stick with what I am familiar with for now.  As a hobbyist, I will not get roped into the Adobe CC world.  I can see how it works for larger companies, but not for me.  And since they have made it very clear they don't give a hoot about the consumer cohort I belong to - even more reason to shun their cloud.
Diane

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
I bet if you read the license agreement of most of the other software, you'll be very surprised to know it's not only Adobe who owns you.

Yeah, but 99% of the time, the software is on a disk and is virtually in-enforceable. Thus, gives the end user's the power but adobe CC reverses all that.

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
Most of the extracts quoted in that article are from the Adobe General Terms of Use (GTU), which have been in place for years and were last updated in 2012. The specific product EULAs for the CC versions of Adobe's products will be posted when they go on sale.

The GTU are tied to the creation of an AdobeID, which is a free email-address-linked account on Adobe's network. Although you need an AdobeID to use Creative Cloud and purchase subscriptions, it also gives access to a bunch of other things unrelated to your purchases (such as the profiles people can create on the Adobe forums, and 2GB of free cloud storage), so many people have an AdobeID without ever buying any software. The GTU therefore also cover the types of files you can post to Adobe's servers and the limits of acceptable behavior within the network. For example it's perfectly sensible to allow action to be taken against someone using the cloud storage service to distribute war3z, someone who creates an account on Behance with the username "DisneyStudios", or a user who stalks someone via the forums. You'll find the same routes to action in the EULAs for any online service, from Gmail to Office 365. The phrase 'may...' does not mean 'will...'

oh is adobe now hiring people who do PR on blogs and forums?

i give you a good advice... when your not going to do it... then don´t write it in your EULA.

talk is cheap!! and i don´t believe a single word from a payed salesman.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
What does "Adobe Community Professional" mean?

Are you employed by Adobe?

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
If LR goes CC only in the future, I will move to Capture One. 

I'll do exactly the same. If LR goes CC, goodbye Adobe.

jm977

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

oh is adobe now hiring people who do PR on blogs and forums?

i give you a good advice... when your not going to do it... then don´t write it in your EULA.

talk is cheap!! and i don´t believe a single word from a payed salesman.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see everyone in favour of Adobe (working for or makes money from, such as those who make tutorials) running damage control by cruising forums.  If for no other reason, they are probably looking to see what our general moods are lately.  I would have thought by now they'd know our moods are many words, many of which we can't use on a public forum.  Some that can be posted may be, betrayed, irritated, outraged, confused.  Feel free to chip in. 
Anyway, it would seem this gentle man while cruising (or google searching "Adobe-I'm ticked") couldn't resist correcting the OP.  In any case, it tells me they're worried.  I can't figure out why though. 

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Yeah, but 99% of the time, the software is on a disk and is virtually in-enforceable. Thus, gives the end user's the power but adobe CC reverses all that.

That, so much that! If Adobe decides it does not like you they can simply pull your license and then you are dead in the water. Right now I have CS6, and due to the great technology of virtualization I can use that one indefinitely. There is no longer the fear that the newest windows might not be supported, I can always run it in a virtual machine if needed. So if Adobe decide to change their EULA or enforce their EULA I don't care. I have my PS safe and there is no way that they can take it away from me. But with CC it's completely different, they can all enforce it and if they there is nothing I can do about it and all my work is gone. (And no, saving my stuff as tiff is not the way to go, I need the layers and effects, too!)
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
This is a great opportunity for Apple to put out that Photoshop competitor they've been sitting on for years. Perfect timing for a highly polished new version of Aperture too.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

That, so much that! If Adobe decides it does not like you they can simply pull your license and then you are dead in the water. Right now I have CS6, and due to the great technology of virtualization I can use that one indefinitely. There is no longer the fear that the newest windows might not be supported, I can always run it in a virtual machine if needed. So if Adobe decide to change their EULA or enforce their EULA I don't care. I have my PS safe and there is no way that they can take it away from me. But with CC it's completely different, they can all enforce it and if they there is nothing I can do about it and all my work is gone. (And no, saving my stuff as tiff is not the way to go, I need the layers and effects, too!)

Adobe and many other companies have to say this in their product agreement for legal purposes but it doesn't mean it'll do that. Can you think about the reason why Adobe may not like you, a customer who pays money buying their products, and terminate your account? It just doesn't make sense. You drive your car and police may give you a ticket if you fail to follow the rules. That's the same here, do you job, have fun editing your images for personal or commercial purposes and everybody would be happy. It reminds me of my neighbors who talk over Skype but are concerned that FBI would listen to their conversations. Come on! 

P.S. I hope I'm not too naive  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
^ its not uncommon for large corporations to beat the little guy. Look at Getty canceling many big time contributors at Istock for simply speaking against Getty. Adobe would have the same power and quite frankly, I don't trust enough to give that power to anyone but the end user.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
^ its not uncommon for large corporations to beat the little guy. Look at Getty canceling many big time contributors at Istock for simply speaking against Getty. Adobe would have the same power and quite frankly, I don't trust enough to give that power to anyone but the end user.

Yeah, it makes sense what you're saying. As I've said before on another thread, more and more companies started switching to monthly-based license instead of perpetual one. I guess we have to be ready that the way we used to own the licenses may change dramatically within the next few years,

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »