October 01, 2014, 06:30:40 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!  (Read 17830 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »
You are correct. I was thinking of being able to edit the PSD files.
How about PSD files with compatibility enabled?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
^ its not uncommon for large corporations to beat the little guy. Look at Getty canceling many big time contributors at Istock for simply speaking against Getty. Adobe would have the same power and quite frankly, I don't trust enough to give that power to anyone but the end user.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »
^ its not uncommon for large corporations to beat the little guy. Look at Getty canceling many big time contributors at Istock for simply speaking against Getty. Adobe would have the same power and quite frankly, I don't trust enough to give that power to anyone but the end user.
+1

But in the end, competition and the market place will decide the winner.  If Adobe abuses it consumer base too hard, we will walk when a viable alternative appears.  The more abused consumers feel, the easier it will be for a competitor to entice them to jump.  On the other hand, if Adobe is too generous then it will not have the funds to develop the next round of enhancements and competition will out innovate them and they will lose.

Though balancing act.  IMO they should have given current CS6/LR4 the option of $15/month with a 5 year price lock for PS and LR in the cloud.  Anyone with older version would need to upgrade to the latest version or pay extra.

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
If someone steals your stuff (or you are worried about someone stealing your stuff), get a lawyer.

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
According to Photo Rumors Adobe is considering a new $9.99, 3 year pricing model for Photoshop Creative Cloud

http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-models-for-creative-cloud/

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
According to Photo Rumors Adobe is considering a new $9.99, 3 year pricing model for Photoshop Creative Cloud

http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-models-for-creative-cloud/

Muahaha! Drink the adobe kool aid and make all your new PSDs with CC and when the three years are over, none of them will be compatable with CS6 and now your really screwed. Lol. I'm not adopting at any price.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »

Muahaha! Drink the adobe kool aid and make all your new PSDs with CC and when the three years are over, none of them will be compatable with CS6 and now your really screwed. Lol. I'm not adopting at any price.

Pref .TIFF with the cost of storage being so low. Can't do 32 bit HDR with .PSD anyway, so moot point for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2013, 03:40:57 AM »
As someone who was about to purchase Photoshop CS6 when CC was announced this would be a tempting offer.  A full version of Photoshop for $359.54 (36 x $9.99), that's much less than I was prepared to pay last month.  Would have preferred it to have been the latest version but at least I would get something tangible out of the subscription model.

Malte_P

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:37 AM »

Pref .TIFF with the cost of storage being so low. Can't do 32 bit HDR with .PSD anyway, so moot point for me.

why not? there is 32 bit PSD.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:07 AM »

Still, $9.99 for a 3 year Contract, I might be swayed, I mean, they might give a discount on a 10 Year Deal, $19.99 ??
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

taperoo2k

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
I bet if you read the license agreement of most of the other software, you'll be very surprised to know it's not only Adobe who owns you.

Yeah, but 99% of the time, the software is on a disk and is virtually in-enforceable. Thus, gives the end user's the power but adobe CC reverses all that.

You own the license key for the software, nothing more. All Creative Cloud does is make you pay a monthly subscription for that License key, instead of paying a one off fee for it. Adobe has always had more power than the end user. If you break the T&C's and EULA then Adobe can revoke the License key easily i.e. blacklist the license key on the authentication server side of things. Once Adobe starts to turn off the authentication servers for more recent versions of CS like they did for CS2 then you'll be in a right old pickle. If you can't use a license key, then having a copy of the software on disc is redundant.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, if anything Creative Cloud makes it clearer just how much power Adobe has always had over users. If you think Adobe's EULA's and T&C's are bad take a look at Apple and Microsoft ones for their respective Operating Systems.

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, but they still provide a serial number so that customers who legitimately purchased the products can continue to use them.  Hopefully this will continue to be the case with more recent versions of CS products.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

taperoo2k

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, but they still provide a serial number so that customers who legitimately purchased the products can continue to use them.  Hopefully this will continue to be the case with more recent versions of CS products.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

That I know, but Adobe is not offering updates for CS2, so there will come a point when CS2 will not not work in future Operating Systems. Which means having to run it in a virtualized OS if you want to keep using CS2. Adobe probably hopes people will not want to do that and upgrade to more recent versions of it's software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
Adobe are not offering updates for CS3, 4, 5 or 5.5 either.  So isn't that already the case with them as well ?.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »

Still, $9.99 for a 3 year Contract, I might be swayed, I mean, they might give a discount on a 10 Year Deal, $19.99 ??

It still come back that after three years, sure you have a copy of cs6 but none of the PSDs you've made using CC will work fully. Then they jack up the price at the end of those three years and now your hands are tied. Do I trust adobe to support CS6 with updates? Nope. They've never done it in the past with any releases. They simply released a new version of PS.

Adobes like "yes, you can trust us but we need to put these shock therapy wires on your head. Trust us we won't put electricity thru them" *smile *wink *wink.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »