April 16, 2014, 06:50:41 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!  (Read 12975 times)

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Re: Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Owns you!
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
When have they ever stopped the psd format from working? For as long as I can remember there has been the Maximize Compatibility option.

This is Adobe, who champions dng as an archival file format.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:20:35 AM by Harry Muff »
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
It still come back that after three years, sure you have a copy of cs6 but none of the PSDs you've made using CC will work fully. Then they jack up the price at the end of those three years and now your hands are tied. Do I trust adobe to support CS6 with updates? Nope. They've never done it in the past with any releases. They simply released a new version of PS.
Yeah, now you are just creating conspiracies from thin air. My files from CS2 and CS3 still work in CS6, and seeing as Creative Cloud is based very much on CS6 w/ upgrades, your PSD files will still work. Or, you can save them as .tiff, .dng, or a variety of other formats that work perfectly fine in a dozen other programs.

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »
It still come back that after three years, sure you have a copy of cs6 but none of the PSDs you've made using CC will work fully. Then they jack up the price at the end of those three years and now your hands are tied. Do I trust adobe to support CS6 with updates? Nope. They've never done it in the past with any releases. They simply released a new version of PS.
Yeah, now you are just creating conspiracies from thin air. My files from CS2 and CS3 still work in CS6, and seeing as Creative Cloud is based very much on CS6 w/ upgrades, your PSD files will still work. Or, you can save them as .tiff, .dng, or a variety of other formats that work perfectly fine in a dozen other programs.

You have it the wrong way around. It's not the question if your CS6 files are going to work in CC but if your CC files will work in CS6. (As this will be the last version you'll be able to use if you stop using CC) And that is going to be a big if. That is putting a lot of trust into Adobe and their shareholders. If they at some point decide to change the PSD format so it wont be compatible with non CC versions you'll be stuck dead in the water. Since the updates will pretty much roll out without you knowing about it they can all of a sudden switch off compatibility and by the time you realize what happened a big chuck of your work may already have been saved in the new format.

I am not again CC, but I am against having CC as the only option. Because this clearly points out that Adobe wants to pressure people into the CC model. They do not want to give people a choice. And a company who does that might just decide to up the pressure a bit more down the line. TIFF and DNG are all fine as long as you don't rely on the ability to change effects or layers later on. Personally I often use that ability with my images and loosing the actual PSD with all it's functions would mean I would have to start from scratch.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
According to Photo Rumors Adobe is considering a new $9.99, 3 year pricing model for Photoshop Creative Cloud

http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-models-for-creative-cloud/

Muahaha! Drink the adobe kool aid and make all your new PSDs with CC and when the three years are over, none of them will be compatable with CS6 and now your really screwed. Lol. I'm not adopting at any price.

Pref .TIFF with the cost of storage being so low. Can't do 32 bit HDR with .PSD anyway, so moot point for me.

why not? there is 32 bit PSD.

There is, but this method of HDR is not supported using PSD, even in the 32 bit mode. I have never liked PSD, preferring TIFF for holding a bit more data and like I stated before, storage is dirt cheap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »