July 22, 2014, 04:39:28 PM

Author Topic: SL1 or Fuji X-EX1 or Sony Nex 6?? Would like your thoughts  (Read 11626 times)

thruthelense

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
I currently own a 60D with various EF lenses. I don't always want to lug that around and would like something lighter and smaller but still be able to get quality shots. While I know the SL1 can't be put in your pocket it can be thrown in a purse. All I would need is the body. My son has the Fuji which is fantastic but your talking 3x the price. Any thoughts? None of the stores around has the SL1 in yet so I can't really play with it.
Thanks !!!
thruthelense

canon rumors FORUM

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: SL1 or Fuji X-EX1 or Sony Nex 6?? Would like your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
I played with the SL1 in a Best Buy last week. I was actually very impressed with it. The ergonomics are great like all Canon bodies (the #1 selling point in me choosing Canon products). Even with the kit lens, the photos on the back looked great. Also the touch screen was pleasantly nice- taking a photo and then zooming in with a "pinch" was so intuitive. Now only if they would let you pinch and zoom right from the instant preview! I HATE that you still have to press the playback button after taking a photo first.

And the nice thing over buying into a new system is that you don't have to buy into a second system! I don't want to buy all new lenses for an APS-C system only.

Th SL1 with the new 24, 28, or 35 IS primes would be a sweet compact setup.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »
Seems like a no-brainer.  You have lenses for the Canon system and you'd get to start all over with either of the
other two.  Also, the SL1 with the 40mm pancake lens is about as small as it's likely to get.  Haven't played with the SL1, but assume it's sort of a miniaturized Rebel with familiar menus and results.  (It's also cheaper if that's a consideration)  Only reason I have found for any of the ILS systems is the vast array of alternative lens adapters than may breathe new life into some of my old M42 and FD lenses.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
SL1.  I've tried it and it has a very nice feel.  Its controls are just very much like my TI1.  There's no need to replace the kit lens.  It's way much better than the non-STM.  The 18-55 STM lens is very good optically at least when I previewed.  40mm pancake is too tight for a crop body.  If you want a prime, I'd suggest a 24-28mm focal length but as it is, the new kit lens is already a big upgrade.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
You have lenses already so the SL1 should be great. I also want one as a secondary body, both for myself and so that my daughters will leave my 5D alone.

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »
NEX 6, Mirrorless is the future. I played with the SL1 and the viewfinder was AWFULLY dark, there is no need for OVF anymore or a mirror. Have you seen the stock lens on the SL1? Its LARGER than the other 18-55 lenses on the other canon bodies.  This time next year I will have mostly mirrorless system and an RX1. I find I take out my NEX camera everywhere I go. I hate bringing my 5D anywhere because it is so large. It doesnt matter how well the 5D takes photos if it just stays home most of the time. Remember, the best camera is the one you have with you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:00:40 AM by CanoSony »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:10:29 AM »
The "Smart" choice would be SL1.  It's a Canon DSLR and therefore compatible with all the lenses, flashes etc.  The AF will work better than mirrorless options and the camera should be a lot more responsive.

Personally, I've recently picked up a Fuji X-E1.  I love the styling and layout with direct access to controls (with the exception of the AF selection button). I'm very impressed with the image quality, I love the lenses and the camera has many very cool features.  I'm really happy with my choice.  I'm also impressed with the Fuji philosophy, in which they release frequent firmware updates to improve their cameras rather than release new models and "force" people to upgrade.  There is also a lens roadmap (which they have largely stuck to), so you know how the system will evolve over time.  Its small things like this which make me feel positive about them as a company.  They seem to be listening to their customers a lot more than some other brands and delivering products for people that love to take photos.  I'm really excited by the AF improvements on the x100s.  When those improvements make it onto future X-E1s and X-Pro1s, I think they will become a serious option for many people.  If they can couple that with semi-acceptable AF tracking, for me, that might mean bye-bye DSLR time. 

But there are some negatives which stop me from recommending it to others.  Firstly, while their lenses are good, current options are limited (and while you can use adapters for non-fuji lenses, you are left with manual focus).  The AF isn't "bad" but think more P&S than DSLR (In its favour, it does have a very wide spread of focus points and when it does lock, it is generally accurate).  I'm getting about 400 shots per battery, which isn't fantastic (but then the SL1 is only rated at 380).  While the flash sych speed is meant to be 1/180s...you can't actually set the camera to this in most modes - typically, you are at 1/125s and there's no high speed synch.  You're stuck with the rear LCD or the EVF.  While it can take videos, it isn't really geared up for serious video use.  And while the EVF is occasionally useful for adding extra information, most people would prefer an OVF.  And lastly Fujix-rumors is nowhere near as entertaining or informative as canonrumors.  For me, the negatives weren't major problems and were countered by some improvements over Canon (such as significantly better infrared capabilities).  But your needs might be different - just make sure you make an informed choice.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:10:29 AM »

trygved

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Youngblood Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:13:47 AM »
And lastly Fujix-rumors is nowhere near as entertaining or informative as canonrumors.

THIS.
I sold my Canon gear and picked up a FUJI X100S, and it suits my needs.
I made the shift assuming I'll get a 5DMKIII in the future, however I've gotten so adjusted that I don't see that happening any more.
Yet, I still read CR almost daily.
It's just a better community, and the layout is much more logical.
FUJI X100S

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:14:01 AM »
NEX 6, Mirrorless is the future.

Nope.  Mirrorless is the ancient past.  Most of the early digital cameras used electronic viewfinders.  There's a reason DSLRs ate their lunch: You can't usefully use an EVF at night or in the dark.  EVFs blow out your night vision in one eye.

Having used both, I really can't imagine ever going back to the dark days of EVFs.  And by dark days, I mean dark nights, and by dark, I mean in the one eye that you've had up to the camera, and light in the other....  :)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:03 AM »
NEX 6, Mirrorless is the future.

Nope.  Mirrorless is the ancient past.  Most of the early digital cameras used electronic viewfinders.  There's a reason DSLRs ate their lunch: You can't usefully use an EVF at night or in the dark.  EVFs blow out your night vision in one eye.

Having used both, I really can't imagine ever going back to the dark days of EVFs.  And by dark days, I mean dark nights, and by dark, I mean in the one eye that you've had up to the camera, and light in the other....  :)

+1, and EVFs have many other drawbacks from a good OVF.

Also I have always found that people actually enjoy looking through a good optical system

I'd get the SL1 - in fact I might very well !   ;D

CanNotYet

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »
I am also for the SL1.
Two reasons:
  • EOS mount. Gives you sooooooooo much more flexibility, if you want it.
  • OVF. An EVF can not in the foreseeable future compare to the responsiveness, resolution, and flexibility of the combination of the human eye and an optical system.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »
Of course, there's always the Fuji X-Pro1 with both an optical viewfinder and EVF.  Best of both worlds. 

While I'm not an EVF advocate and generally prefer an optical viewfinder, I find an EVF sometimes useful in low light because of the way the EVF can boost the image - Easier to frame and ensure focus is spot on.  When it is REALLY dark, you'll get a lot of noise, but I'm not sure is a pentamirrored, low magnification SL1 would be any better.  EVFs are also much better with infrared filters - Anyone tried focusing or framing through an OVF with an R72 filter recently?   Without removing your eye from the viewfinder, there is also instant playback of the image you've just taken, focus peaking, image magnification, and the ability to see how the photo looks before taking the photo, along with adding some extra information such as a level, grids, highlight warnings etc.  Like most things, some downsides but also some upsides. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
Of course, there's always the Fuji X-Pro1 with both an optical viewfinder and EVF.  Best of both worlds. 

While I'm not an EVF advocate and generally prefer an optical viewfinder, I find an EVF sometimes useful in low light because of the way the EVF can boost the image - Easier to frame and ensure focus is spot on.  When it is REALLY dark, you'll get a lot of noise, but I'm not sure is a pentamirrored, low magnification SL1 would be any better.  EVFs are also much better with infrared filters - Anyone tried focusing or framing through an OVF with an R72 filter recently?   Without removing your eye from the viewfinder, there is also instant playback of the image you've just taken, focus peaking, image magnification, and the ability to see how the photo looks before taking the photo, along with adding some extra information such as a level, grids, highlight warnings etc.  Like most things, some downsides but also some upsides.

Fair points.

The truth is there has never been so much choice. Kids in candy shops etc   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »
I currently own a 60D with various EF lenses. I don't always want to lug that around and would like something lighter and smaller but still be able to get quality shots. While I know the SL1 can't be put in your pocket it can be thrown in a purse. All I would need is the body. My son has the Fuji which is fantastic but your talking 3x the price. Any thoughts? None of the stores around has the SL1 in yet so I can't really play with it.
Thanks !!!
thruthelense

That. The SL1 will not solve the problem. You get a smaller body, but the lenses are not going to get any smaller - you actually might end up with a very unbalanced body/lens combo. The 40mm pancake imho is too long for a walkaround on APS-C (64mm equivalent).

The NEX-6 + PowerZoom imho is the best solution for IQ, portability, features and price. It's a good mount with many lens options from Sigma, Zeiss etc. The RX100 is also a nice addition to a main DSLR kit.

The fuji IMHO is even a tad better, but then again you loose some choice in terms of available lenses.

Olympus and Panasonic make fine cameras in MFT format. The sensor is kinda small, but here again great selection of lenses from many manufacturers.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
Since I have a CANON system I would get SL1 (the same reason other posters said).

I would just like to compare it (size-wise) with 18-55 and with 18-135 and 15-85.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »